PDA

View Full Version : Another hunter mauled by grizz

j270wsm
09-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Heard this morning that a hunter was attacked by a grizz by grave lake( 15 south of elkford ) Havent heard a lot of details yet. Hunter wasnt from the area and there was a freshly buried elk somewhere close by.

Elkaddict
09-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Hhhhmmm, would be interested in any more info. I heard it was Round Prairie,...??

j270wsm
09-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Global bc has a story on it, but I can't get the link to show up. It was on the power line that is 300yds off highway 43, right at the turn off to line creek & grave lake

604ksmith
09-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Glad to see his injuries won't life threatening.

Septembers attacks are making me extra nervous about being a solo hunter...or just a hunter for that matter. A province full of hungry bears doesn't sound too relaxing to me.

REMINGTON JIM
09-13-2015, 08:12 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/2218631/grizzly-attack-near-sparwood-fourth-in-b-c-in-ten-days/ :-( looks like the Guys gonna be OK ! RJ

srupp
09-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Hmm its life and death for the grizzlies..they need the calories..pretty slim pickings for berries..the story is the bears had an elk carcass? Well worth the effort to protect from g bears point.lets be extra careful lads and ladies
Srupp

J_T
09-13-2015, 08:28 PM
And the media are reporting only occurances where rescue or medical aid are required. There are a number of close calls only being reported via conversation and the campfire.

suburbanpat
09-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Glad to see his injuries won't life threatening.

Septembers attacks are making me extra nervous about being a solo hunter...or just a hunter for that matter. A province full of hungry bears doesn't sound too relaxing to me.

Also hunting solo in the pg area. Feel free to pm if you need a partner

scotty30-06
09-13-2015, 08:53 PM
First year I have looked for a buddy to hunt with.....solo hunted for years but this just seems like an "off" year

kevan
09-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Thank goodness the hunter wasn't severely injured.... or killed..

ryanb
09-13-2015, 09:43 PM
There are simply no berries due to the dry summer in southern bc. Bears are hungry and at lower elevation than normal for September ! Be careful out there!

Everett
09-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Heard about two bad encounters in the Bull yesterday not sure about specifics supposedly happened on friday..

270ruger
09-14-2015, 05:23 AM
The media doesn't like to report all the attacks because their mandate is that Grizz are endangered,Hunting is bad.

BgBlkDg
09-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Think I will camp in the canopy of my Taco tonight when I get to the Kootenays., my companion is a Benelli Nova 14", loaded with five Brenneke slugs.

But, staying alert and watching for Crows circling something on the ground has always helped and I am a cautious old phart.

ruger#1
09-14-2015, 06:37 AM
You are right Dewey. You are an old phart. Play safe out there.

604ksmith
09-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Think I will camp in the canopy of my Taco tonight when I get to the Kootenays., my companion is a Benelli Nova 14", loaded with five Brenneke slugs.

But, staying alert and watching for Crows circling something on the ground has always helped and I am a cautious old phart.

Hey BgBlkDg, where'd you manage to find Brennekes in Canada?

frenchbar
09-14-2015, 07:22 AM
im for the reasoning if you don't want to chance getting ****ed up by a grizzly stay home ! We are invading their domain after all !

fuzzy 63
09-14-2015, 07:39 AM
hello all .my parents live in Cranbrook and are both in their 70s and frequently like to go for a drive out in the woods . dad never has anything that resembles a weapon with him and it worries me some . They used to own a ranch in Mcbride and saw plenty of bears and cougers on the property and still didn't think twice about having his rifle with him . He would tell me that observation was the key to being safe and if a animal was around he trusted that his dogs would give him fair warning . They owned catahoulie leopard hounds . dad would say that if his number was up , his number was up ! point is that anyone could be in the wrong place at the wrong time and even though people are being mauled , it is not something new to anyone who has sense in the woods and it is the damm media that is blowing things out of proportion and we contribute by using our keypads and such . like big black dog says , stay alert, be cautious and go out and enjoy yourself .
I hunted my parents ranch for a long time with only a old recurve bow and felt comfortable because of confidence and cautiousness .
play safe and try not to worry
Cliff

tigrr
09-14-2015, 07:41 AM
Here is the grizzly sow with two cubs hanging around my neck of the woods. She has a fresh kill right below her. 60 feet off the road to my house. I think the rancher just lost a yearling.
http://s19.postimg.org/x0u9lzi77/IMG_1368.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xdlns60gv/full/)

ElliotMoose
09-14-2015, 08:40 AM
We hunted the grave lake/line creek area 2 years ago and came up on a big bear sitting on a 5 point bull. Huge animal. The CO told us there were several sightings in the area. Heading up this weekend for a backpack elk hunt in the backcountry.. Keeping the 45-70 close!

REMINGTON JIM
09-14-2015, 08:48 AM
We hunted the grave lake/line creek area 2 years ago and came up on a big bear sitting on a 5 point bull. Huge animal. The CO told us there were several sightings in the area. Heading up this weekend for a backpack elk hunt in the backcountry.. Keeping the 45-70 close!

Good and you know what if a Grizz or Blackie gets too CLOSE to ya use that 45-70 ! thats what your packing it for - DEFEND yourself don't be another should have shot him but i didn't so i got Mauled Guy ! I for one will not chance a bear mauling no matter what if i can help it - jmo RJ

Sofa King
09-14-2015, 08:54 AM
I dont know why people insist on going into areas where problem bears or mailings have occurred.
The best safety precaution would be to choose another area.
Would you continue to walk through a street at night where murders and drivebys are on the rise?

REMINGTON JIM
09-14-2015, 09:04 AM
I dont know why people insist on going into areas where problem bears or mailings have occurred.
Would you continue to walk through a street at night where murders and drivebys are on the rise?

Well it kinda like the skiers and the snowmobilers in the Avalanche areas - cannot fix STUPID and it life long lasting ! :-P RJ

wideopenthrottle
09-14-2015, 09:05 AM

ah sofa....would you avoid an area because it had a lightning strike hit it...I sort of think u are being sarcastic but if you are serious it makes no sense

the presence of top predators is always a sign of a healthy ecosystem (good place to hunt)

Sofa King
09-14-2015, 09:14 AM
ah sofa....would you avoid an area because it had a lightning strike hit it...I sort of think u are being sarcastic but if you are serious it makes no sense

the presence of top predators is always a sign of a healthy ecosystem (good place to hunt)

Quite a big difference between lightning strikes and bear maulings.
Thats just silly.
We live in a massive province with endless areas to go hunt.
It just makes no sense to intentionally choose to put youself in the most dangerous spot.
Like said above, its most comparable to the people who insist on ignoring warnings on the skihills and intentionally choose to go out of bounds, and sure as shit, next thing we hear is that search and rescue has to be sent out once again.

Foxton Gundogs
09-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Good and you know what if a Grizz or Blackie gets too CLOSE to ya use that 45-70 ! thats what your packing it for - DEFEND yourself don't be another should have shot him but i didn't so i got Mauled Guy ! I for one will not chance a bear mauling no matter what if i can help it - jmo RJ

Good post, don't take chances. Far better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Weatherby Fan
09-14-2015, 09:29 AM

I couldn't agree more !!!

Sofa King
09-14-2015, 09:29 AM

precisely.
and staying out of that area would be the best choice at that.

fuzzy 63
09-14-2015, 09:42 AM
when i used to flyfish with great success , I would get asked what i was using and I would always say '' skill and ability '' . a little sarcastic to some but it illustrates that planning and preparedness is the key to a great day . . I say go into those areas but with a sense that shite might happen . I'm on my way out with my labs to the polder for a walk and I have with me a small air horn . worst case scenario my rescuers could hear me . Best case , I scared a big black away that wants to make me his lunch . 20 miles up the lake , it could be a big grizz . am I worried , a bit . Am I a least a bit prepared . you bet
Cliff

HarryToolips
09-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Thats just silly.
It just makes no sense to intentionally choose to put youself in the most dangerous spot.
Like said above, its most comparable to the people who insist on ignoring warnings on the skihills and intentionally choose to go out of bounds, and sure as shit, next thing we hear is that search and rescue has to be sent out once again.
To my limited knowledge, the answer to why hunters go to these areas is simple, it's elk...where there's good elk, griz will be around, usually I'm guessin..hope the guy is OK...

mokele mbembe
09-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Thats just silly.
some LEH zones are very small

hunterdon
09-14-2015, 10:24 AM
I have heard it said many times that there's no berries because of the dry summer we've had. Yet, I had observed still lots of berries as of last week, at least in my part of the okanagan. Especially rose hips which bears absolutely love.
Every year we hear the same story. No berries. The truth be told, the bear population, both black and gizz, has been going up steadily year after year. In addition the number of bear hunters has dropped significantly as well over the years. Heck, I'm about the only one in my neck of the woods that actually hunts bear. Usually take one every year.
I think there is a connection to the fact that there are more bears and more hunters in the woods these days. The number of hunters in BC has also been going up for several years. Also add the huge increase in bow hunters due to increasingly liberal bow seasons, ( bow hunters are usually on foot, not so much on vehicle ) and voila…... Yo are definitely going to have increased close contact with bears, resulting in more attacks. It's a given in my mind.

j270wsm
09-14-2015, 10:56 AM

So what your saying is I should never set foot out side of my house again.
@4-6yrs old while out side playing in my parents back yard I turn and look up the bank towards the green belt( 35yds ) and there stands a grizzly sow with 2 cubs. Fast forward 25yrs - sitting at my parents kitchen table having dinner with my family. I look out the patio door and there's a black bear sow( cinnamon coloured )with 3 cubs( 2 white ones and one black )

As someone previously stated, any where there's deer, elk, moose, you run the risk of encountering not only bears but cougar, lynx, bobcat, coyotes and wolves.

604ksmith
09-14-2015, 11:08 AM
I think this year might just be the start of an upward trend of bear human conflicts, not simply an issue of berries. We've had dry years before.

As said above, there's more hunters, likely more bears, and certainly more access. All those things increase the likelihood of contact. When humans are in large groups, we're the apex predator of the world. However, when we're solo or in a pairing I think our apex strengths of communication, teamwork, and intelligence are quickly overmatched by speed, strength, and sharp claws/teeth.

Staying in groups is IMO the best line of defence.

budismyhorse
09-14-2015, 11:23 AM
3 of the 4 recent incidents have been guys on solo missions......interesting note.

Bugle M In
09-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Doesn't surprise me in the least either.
I'd say for the last 10 to 15 yr's, I have had more and more sightings of Grizzly, where I hunt annually.
Last year, was really a shocking trip.
I saw so many bears last year, and on top of that, very close to roads, on the cut blocks etc,
where there was still vehicles allowed to travel and hunt, not just up in the road closure areas.
And than as many states, lack of berries and "Voila!", G-Bear encounters.
Maybe as the season progresses, some bears may take off to less accessible areas, as more hunters hit the areas.
But I do think these Bears are becoming habituated to people again, with a lot less fear.
Do keep your eyes open, ladies and gents, when your out there.

sniper58
09-14-2015, 12:48 PM
My son lives in Sparwood and bow-hunts in the "no shooting" area right there. He usually hunts alone there.
I just sent him a message to carry his 12 ga in there.

M.Dean
09-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Walk softly and carry a Loaded Gun!

Jelvis
09-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Throughout my life I have paid attention to bear attacks as a hunter. In papers and on the news from child up and never have I seen so many Grizz attacks like is happening today.
Something is in the air or in the water folks? I mean grizzly attacking everything that moves.
It's drier then a pop corn fart and the berries are dead, less veggies, so carrion and killing calfs and fawns has become a necessity to build hibernation fat.
So the answer wood B? Watch you don't walk upon a sow grizz and cubs at her kill sight.
This would be a disaster for anyone, you wouldn't even have time to raise your rifle.
She'd be on you faster then Usane Bolt. So think and keep an eye out for ravens eagles and whisky Jacks on a kill. Evidence the grizz will be laying there, one massive paw covering her face and peeking thru her ten inch razor sharp claws. Watching you approach too stupid to realize she is getting ready to explode all over you.
One swing from that massive left front arm and your head turns into a bowling ball with hair.
Jel ( Grizzly ) Horrible lish shush -- Your worst nightmare -- in a dark forest near you