PDA

View Full Version : Lillooet Area

honeyman76
09-13-2015, 08:50 AM
Hi all, this is my first year to duck hunt in years. I picked up an over under Baikal 12 gauge. I've only seen two mallards and I believe a female blue winged teal.

I have spoken to a few people that have hunted ducks and am told to aim up to 9 feet ahead. I have yet to score and think that I am shooting behind the ducks so will try that next time I see one. I am using #2 Steel Shot by Federal.

I am having trouble finding a spot to hunt around here for ducks. I tried a few slews up on Mnt Cole FSR and even went to Mud Lakes and didn't see any ducks up there.

Any suggestions?

Been google mapping my area, but I really don't see any decent duck hunting spots.

Cheers

6.5x55
09-13-2015, 03:15 PM
you will probably have to wait until the migrants start showing up. There are literally thousands that show up every year around the end of October at the top end of Carpenter lake. I was always too busy deer hunting to figure out the logistics of hunting them. Its a narrow valley and you would definitely need a boat. It looked to be a challenging hunt that could reap good rewards , large flocks of both geese and ducks , good luck.

honeyman76
09-13-2015, 05:19 PM
I went up to the head of Carpenter Lake today. Found a few flocks of Geese and some mallards. I made the mistake of walking down to the waters edge without my shotgun and wouldn't you know it, a flock of geese was next to the shore. I missed my chance there, but blew up my inflatable dingy and went out midway and spooked up a bunch of mallards. I guess my florescent green raft did me no favours as not a single bird would come within 200 yards of me. So, came home skunked and wifey not surprised lol

6.5x55
09-14-2015, 02:28 PM
You have to remember that ducks and geese are Not color blind ,and that ducks are sometimes smart and geese are most times smart . They can see movement at distance , you are going to have to figure out a way to get yourself there before daybreak.