PDA

View Full Version : moose scent attractant issues

srupp
09-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Hmm had used Tinks..but they changed the formula a couple years ago. .now clear..no smell..no result. .called them..uncomfortable call..the new formula doesnt smell to the human nose...hmmmm
Im sticking to Buck Expert..pretty comfortable with results..
Just ensure its fresh...should still taste salty...lol
Cheers
Steven

Big G Hunter
09-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Try the incense attractant sticks. I used a 2L pop bottle for the stick. worked real well.

srupp
09-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Hmm moose pee..on tampons has worked for many many years However I will also pick up some stcks and have a specific area to try..thank you for the suggestions..I appreciate your insight..never too old to learn new tricks..Mr.T also wants to try buck bomb spray can..ya never know till you try..
Also no time for making a moose calling birch bark call..so going to try KC fibreglass moose horn for calling..lol..pulling out all the stops...
After 11 years my Lowrance truly died..so slight deviation on hunting area..less need for GPS..map and compass..old school....

Just a heads up on the change to Tinks..
Srupp

Fred1
09-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Cut the bottom of a Clamato jug... No big deal when you lose it.

randymac
09-12-2015, 04:47 PM
just checked the bottle ofMoose estrus Tinks my buddy gave me. Definite ammonia odor. Never used it before and had them come in to 30 yards but will give it a try this year.

Beaverhunter
09-12-2015, 07:47 PM
What do you mean buy using a 2l pop bottle

Blk Arrow
09-12-2015, 09:03 PM
The fellow that taught me how to call used James Valley cow moose in heat. Nastiest stuff I have ever smelled! It is in a gel form so it will stick where applied. I always double bagged the bottle and I was real careful about not getting any on me as grizzlies frequent the area we hunted.

Big G Hunter
09-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Poke holes around the bottle ( 2-3" from top) near the cap and same at the bottom(2-3" from bottom.) Cut the bottom of the bottle and leave the cap on. Next, light stick and stick into ground then put bottle over the top. It will smoke for about 2 hrs and let little puffs out the holes you made. Stay UPWIND as it Stinks and will stick to your clothes.

srupp
09-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Hmm never tried this..am headed to Cambodian tire in am..will get some scent sticks..and try the bottle scenario..
Thanks for new tips...will report results..2 moose tags in the group. .prime rut..oct 1...15
Srupp

Arctic Lake
09-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Did a search and came up with Srupps thread . So I need a new bottle of cow in heat moose urine mines real old. I use this in combination with calling . Any suggestions of a good brand, can't seem to find the one I used to use .

Thanks !
Arctic Lake

srupp
09-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Hmm buck expert seems to work..did try the sticks and pop bottle..20th. ..did smell moose. ..but nasty stuff if you get smoke on you..
Only 3 brands up in WL. .buck expert..my choice..code blue..used it but no positive results...smelled appropriate. ..or tanks, we are taking buck expert on our trip..
Cheers and good luck.
Steven

Arctic Lake
09-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Hmm moose pee..on tampons has worked for many many years However I will also pick up some stcks and have a specific area to try..thank you for the suggestions..I appreciate your insight..never too old to learn new tricks..Mr.T also wants to try buck bomb spray can..ya never know till you try..
Also no time for making a moose calling birch bark call..so going to try KC fibreglass moose horn for calling..lol..pulling out all the stops...
After 11 years my Lowrance truly died..so slight deviation on hunting area..less need for GPS..map and compass..old school....

Just a heads up on the change to Tinks..
Srupp

Srupp
I bought one of those bark made calls from Canadian Tire a few years back they work nicely, never had time to make a call either. Used to just cup my hands that worked too but wanted to project the cow call a farther distance.

I know you don't need any advice on calling moose, just thought I'd mention the C.T. call.

Arctic Lake