PDA

View Full Version : Dear season opener

srupp
09-09-2015, 04:43 PM
hmmmm

so tomorrow is the opening of rifle season in the Cariboo for mule deer, I have access to a ranch that I can drive in and go sit at a pinch point for the day.
I was looking at the gear and this is what I carry in my day pack... Platypus 2 L water bag, toilet paper in a plastic bag, space blanket, small black kit.. With flagging tape, extra AA batteries, piranta knife, 10 extra blades, Bic lighter, gun pull, lens cleaner, Band-Aids, Leatherman, firestarter... Cotton balls soaked in vasoline. rubber gloves,cordage,hand cleaners.blood tracking light..

Butt out tool.. Knife sharpener, cough drops , brunton..helios.. Hundred kilometer per hour flameless survival lighter, hunting license... Tags, BC WF card, PAL etc, hunting knife..Marty Beets.. Custom , Tikka Headlamp , Leica 1200 rangefinder, SP OT.. With new batteries, digital camera in pelican case, extra battery.

I will be taking trekking poles... For the 50 yard hike, rope bag, pack frame, binoculars and harness and my new Jim Shockey shooting sticks.. Tripod.

.270 rifle.. 140 grain Hornaday boat tail bullets, sighted in for 200 yard.. Checked yesterday..
10 rounds of ammo, Leopold scope... 3.5 X 10... Boone and Crockett redicle.. GPS, cover scent, lunch.. Rain gear..
I am going to set up a game camera for after I leave... I can check on it in week or so.

Hopefully the rain stays away and the deer are moving.. I don't plan on being back till after dark.. An enjoyable day just sitting in the woods.

Didn't realize how much gear and equipment it takes, or I take just one day..lol..

cheers

steven

Daybreak
09-09-2015, 04:53 PM
I agree, it seems like by the time you have everything together for a day trip you have amassed a small sporting goods/survival store. Once I set out on foot it all washes off and I'm where I want to be. Enjoy your day out there. Good luck

luckofthedraw
09-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Sounds like a great day to me. I have a similar amount of gear. I finally have it sorted out so it either stays in the truck for the season, or can be brought inside in an arm full.

swampthing
09-09-2015, 05:50 PM
People grab my daypack and ask how many weeks I am going for. I try to thin it out but everything just seems so necessary!

Big Lew
09-09-2015, 06:04 PM
People grab my daypack and ask how many weeks I am going for. I try to thin it out but everything just seems so necessary!

Mine to! Funny though, when I was much younger (teens to early 20's) I took
very little, including just a few bullets, and thought nothing of it. As I grew
older my "stuff just in case" items increased until I needed a daypack. It has
continued to grow to the point that my daypack is actually a small packsack, lol!
Wish you an enjoyable day Steven.

rocksteady
09-09-2015, 06:13 PM
You got a butt out tool?

after 35 years as an EMT and your scared to put a finger up an anus?

tsssk tsssk....

Daybreak
09-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Steven, I realize you plan to do some sitting tomorrow however, what have you got to test the wind?

rocksteady
09-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Same as the rest of us........

his pee thing....

IronNoggin
09-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Still packing for the offshore over here Buddy!
I'll have to live vicariously through you for a spell, so...

Best of Luck Steven! Hope you get damn near run over by a Big 'Un!! :wink:

Cheers!
Nog

srupp
09-09-2015, 07:22 PM
You got a butt out tool?

after 35 years as an EMT and your scared to put a finger up an anus?

tsssk tsssk....

Hmm no Paramedic,38 years..and I bite my nails..lol no rectal exam or asking the buck to cough. .hence the cough drops..lol..
Really these butt out tools work very well..on deer..it was a gift...
If my knees, hip could take it I would take less to cover more ground..but found a exellent pinch point..bedding to food route..as the omly hunter in there nothing to cause them to change their daily routine .
I do not have anything like powder to dope the wind....
Have a sil dome and sil tarp..if it pours..
4points or bigger season....
Steven

RackStar
09-09-2015, 07:29 PM
headin out in a few hours up to the caribou..
going where someone I know has had luck this year taking a 4 point with bow. saw bach groups of 5. going for 4 days wont be able to get out much till oct nov so I hope luck is on my side.

srupp
09-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Good luck rackstar..deer poulation in Cariboo is up, so are number of bucks so are the number and size of big ones..closing the rut helped..
A buddy of mine seen 12 bucks the other day..mostly mid sized..but 2 200 pounders and decent 4x 4 headgear..

Ps..RackStar..anything goes sideways or? Im in the phone book..if you need anything and I can...I will
Steven

Big Lew
09-09-2015, 08:11 PM
I take a length (about 8") of dental floss, shred one end and tie the other
to the end of my rifle barrel. Even the very slightest wisp of a breeze will
move it. By having it out there all the time I can watch for subtle swirling
breezes.

untilthelastbeat
09-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Good luck Steven! Look forward to a good story

albravo2
09-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Steven,
This is a dumb question, but I've proven in the past that doesn't pose a problem for me.

Aren't most deer still up high? Same Region 5 place I see dozens of deer in late October/early November always seems completely empty in September.

HarryToolips
09-09-2015, 09:23 PM
sounds like you got it all well planned there Srupp...good luck! but GPS???? I thought you are one of the few who use conventional methods of navigating??;-)

srupp
09-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Big Lew thanks..great idea..I use maps, and compass, and gps..first person in Cariboo with the eagle Acunave..primitive...
2 types of deer..resident,, and migratory...hunting resident bucks in
N their livingroom..
Yes some will be on horsefly mountain top others where I am

Cheers
Steven

srupp
09-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Hmm pretty sore..lol 12 deer..all flat tops..some exercise, some fresh air, solitude..
I get to play again..
Steven