PDA

View Full Version : Charged by Black Bear

hotload
09-09-2015, 10:00 AM
After hearing about the other bear encounters I thought I would mention about mine that happened a few days ago. I have encountered many bears from Grizzlies to Black Bears with even the latest bear, a Grizzily while fishing the Elk River a few days ago, but this is the most aggressive bear I have ever come across. This Sow Black Bear came at me from behind bushes and charged me to approx. 15 feet. From the look of this bear it was just rank and more than wiling to do a job on me. It charged me and all I could think of was don't run. I became as large as I could while yelling at it and with my dog right beside me with his deep barks the bear stopped and stared, clacked its teeth for what seemed like forever and then retreated. While it retreated I took a few steps backwards and the bear noticed this and once again charged me very viciously. If it wasn't for my dog trying to take a chunk out of the bears ribs when it got close and altering the attention of this bear and making it retreat, I'm positive I would have been hurt badly or killed. Even with my knowledge of what to do when a bear charges, if I would have had a gun I would have shot it. I saw that it had 2 cubs, but they were a fair ways behind the sow and I was never a threat to any of them at any time, she could have just went the other way. All the recent encounters with bears makes one start to think what the hell is going on?? I type this to remind all hunters to keep your wits about you this hunting season, and do, and carry the proper equipment with you if anything like this happens. I believe that if I did not stand my ground with this bear, things would have turned out much different. Good Luck and Be Safe.........................
ROD

ajr5406
09-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Wow thats Crazy...

albravo2
09-09-2015, 10:34 AM
J*sus, what is it with this year and bears??? I usually carry a gun when I'm in the woods because I like carrying guns but from all the stories I think I'll be a lot more alert for bear trouble this fall.

Glad it turned out the way it did.

Fella
09-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Hmm from what I understand the bear population in this province is very high. Maybe more bears=more boars preying on cubs=more pissed off mama Bears?

Cyrus
09-09-2015, 10:59 AM
have had problems with bears destroying my trail cams more this year than any other year....something has them pissed off...

Gone_Fishin_
09-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Someone point me in the direction and i'll gladfully cancel 1 or both my tags on a Blackie.

:)

Thankfully you didnt get hurt and im glad both you and the bear were able to walk away safe.

adriaticum
09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Good for you boss. If you have a gun use it. Fire one around it and if it doesn't scare her, aim to kill.

Grizz59
09-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Glad it turned out alright, personally I believe your dog is the only reason it turned out the way it did. Always happy to have my dog with me when I'm out on my own.

Bear
09-09-2015, 12:13 PM
And I can't find one to save my life. Just haven't had any luck spring or fall so far. Keep at it I guess. Ha

Bear
09-09-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm with you. 😜

scotty30-06
09-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I think the Bears are stressed due to competition and food situation berries were early and salmon are few...the drought could also have them stressed.

firstshot
09-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Ran into weird one today also. I hiked into one of my fishing holes with my dog , when I got to the water I see a bear on top of a log jam abut 150 yards down the river ,not a big deal. So I decided to make a bit of noise so that it would be aware I was there and hopefully wander off. Nope! as soon as it heard me and took a look he come bouncing across the top of that log jam to get a closer look at me, now he's about 100 yards awsay. So I yell at it again , meanwhile my pup who's completely oblivious runs around in circles wondering why I'm yelling haha. Bear takes another look at me and then jumps down off the log jam and starts heading my way in a hurry , I picked up my stuff and got out of there, I wasn't prepared to deal with a bear today. Maybe he just wanted a closer look who knows.

yama49
09-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Good for you boss. If you have a gun use it. Fire one around it and if it doesn't scare her, aim to kill.

At 15 feet, I'm not aiming to miss, I'm shooting to kill.

caddisguy
09-09-2015, 01:11 PM
have had problems with bears destroying my trail cams more this year than any other year....something has them pissed off...

Same... one got dragged off somewhere (99% sure it was a bear as the tree was clawed up really good) ... and another one chewed on, one "re-positioned" and one knocked down. Might rig up some boxes for them next season.

I started a thread a while back suggesting this would be a bad year for human/bear conflicts because the berries were early and I think the water will be lower than normal for the salmon runs, so the salmon won't get as far upstream as they normally would.

High bear population, berries will be gone early, salmon maybe not getting as far up river... bears will be closer to people and competing with other bears. I think even being near an otherwise benign food source could trigger those competitive instincts.

I'm seeing a lot more bears and bear sign in the valley bottoms this year. Lastly, only saw one bear and no sign in that area throughout the entire summer and fall.

Clearly some kind of bear apocalypse.

Here's the thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?119736-Bad-year-for-berries-likely-bad-year-for-salmon-bear-habits-safety

hotload
09-09-2015, 03:59 PM
At 15 feet, I'm not aiming to miss, I'm shooting to kill.

I totally agree with what to do with this bear, cubs or not. There was no provocation, it had lots of room to make a proper decision as I've seen many, many times with other bears through the years. This bear came far too fast, far too close, and far, far, too aggressive. This was as vicious a bear as you will ever want to see up close and personal. I totally believe it wanted to hurt me bad and with not the intervention by my dog trying to rip a hole in it's side to alter its thought, and probably above all else, if I had not done the right thing as in not backing down and standing my ground this would have gone sideways in a heartbeat. I think the bear left only because it was a bit confused with the events not unfolding quite the way it wanted. Again, if this year is starting out like none other in recent history, take every precaution, use your wits, and be very careful out there............PLAY SAFE

Daybreak
09-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks for posting your story Rod. Glad you are around to write about it. May I ask, was this event with the black bear sow in the Okanagan?

markomoose
09-09-2015, 05:12 PM
We as hunters/0utdoorspeople have to do our part and be prepared when we go afield.Myself and my partner/son do us all a favor and take one or two bears every spring/fall season and if we all took a page out of that book I'm sure bears would not be on the endangered list.I 'm reading this year after year from all B.C. biologists that the black bear is the most under utilized big game .Glad your still with us hotload. Cheers Mark

yamadirt 426
09-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Good story Glad it turned out ok. Mans best friend saves the day once again. I have seen to opposite of what others have been seeing with the berries. Meaning ive seen lots this year. Time to put some bear meat in the freezer. Overall it is just a weird year out there i suppose .

scoutlt1
09-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Lots of "curious" and grumpy bears (especially blackies) out there this year.

Glad it turned out ok for you!

Dannybuoy
09-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Good to hear it did end ok Rod ! I 'm guessing it was Carlos that was with you, and I imagine he would be fairly intimidating . Glad he didn't get hurt either .
Good heads up post !

Cpt_Black
09-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Wow! Glad to hear all is well, that's a scary situation to be in.. I'm actually in another thread right now, discussing the legality of my non-(hunting)licensed friends joining me on my grouse hunts with their guns, in case i encounter a situation just like this.

I'm going to be carrying a bag full of tasty treats should I be successful, and what I'm packing to drop a grouse, pheasant or rabbit isn't gonna stop a bear!

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the laws are in favor of that.. If anyone has input we're over here -->http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?120766-Can-observers-be-armed-(a-friend-tagging-along)/page2

hotload
09-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Good to hear it did end ok Rod ! I 'm guessing it was Carlos that was with you, and I imagine he would be fairly intimidating . Glad he didn't get hurt either .
Good heads up post !

Yupp Danny it was Carlo that saved my bacon alright. Of all the things that these Drahthaar dogs do, I have just found out another one. I have only seen this side of him once before when he earned his Hardness Certificate in South Dakota and that was an ugly sight. Somewhere in the back of his German brain lies ugly, and it came out the other day much to my benefit. You take care my friend, its turning out to be a banner year for teeth marks..........................