PDA

View Full Version : Off for Grizzly(s) and halibut and crabs

srupp
04-30-2007, 02:21 PM
So after many sleepless nites in anticipation ....we are off to Bella Coola in the afternoon for the the 30 miles south for Grizzly and some crabbing and some halibut. Tim and I both have LEH'S for coastal Grizzlies..AKA brown bears..fish fed grizzlies....

Kinda think we will do great for Tim as he has never hunted or shot a grizzly..he's using a .458...so he definatly gets first right of refusal....and if a well furred 8 foot plus is spotted I will attempt to let the hammer down....

Crabbing is easy..the crab hole is a mere 200 yards from where we will anchor the big boat...and there are LOTS....yummmmmm

As for halibut...hmmmmm thats a whole nother kettle of fish...they are notoriously fickle in when and where they feed..depends on tides and disturbance...etc etc etc....hope to get a couple of 80 #ers???

Most of the basics are on board...the $$$$ stuff waits till we are ready to go like rifles binos cameras CHICKEN TETRAZINI...lol...

Got my good 35mm camera with long lenses..and digital video and camera for trophy shots, hope we hhave some photos to share after the 12 th or so....

Steven Rupp

Williams Lake

bruin
04-30-2007, 02:27 PM
good luck, I look forward to hearing how you make out.

youngfellla
04-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Sounds like the makings of a pretty good trip!

Best of luck to you both.

Kirby
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Good luck on the bears and crabs.

As for halibut...hmmmmm thats a whole nother kettle of fish...they are notoriously fickle in when and where they feed..depends on tides and disturbance...etc etc etc....hope to get a couple of 80 #ers???

Just go deep, say 100-300 fathoms:lol: and you'll be into them. My biggest Hali is 230 gutted/no head but it don't really count cause it was comercial fishing.

Kirby

srupp
04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Kirby..I dont know what a fathom is???But we have 500 yards of 100 pound Pwoer pro braided lines with 24 oz mud rakers tipped with octopus..

probably try the 300-400 feet depth on the breakes..
Steven

MB_Boy
04-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Steven......have a great and safe trip! Can't wait for the tales and the pictures.

Gotta love the "livin' off the land". We have been doing plenty of crabbing down here as of late......I just can't get enough!!

All the best!!8) 8)

Fisher-Dude
04-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Stop in at Anaheim Lake, Goat Guy tells me you are guaranteed to get crabs there. :rolleyes:

Have a good trip. Photos PLEASE.

Kirby
04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Kirby..I dont know what a fathom is???

Fathom is equal to 6' when we were hammering the halis this time of year we were fishing sets between 300-600 fathoms but thats kinda un-realistic for rod fishing.

Also try jigging for lings, they are alot of fun and taste great as well.

Kirby

kishman
04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Got my good 35mm camera with long lenses..and digital video and camera for trophy shots, hope we hhave some photos to share after the 12 th or so....

Can't wait to see some pics/video, good luck!!

Elkhound
04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Good luck.....I take it the nerves will be rattled driving that truck eh? Or did you get a new one?

srupp
04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Fisher Dude..now that I know that...I will SPEED through Anihim lake..lol

We will try for cod as well..I like cod as we ll as I do hailibut..yummers..

Yes I will be nervous with the OLD 2003 POS!!!!Specially towing a borrowed boat down the Bella Coola hill LOADED..... and at nite....:frown:

But it will have to really work coming up the hill with 2 bears AND halibut and crabs and cod.....

Steven

interceptor
04-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Good luck, sounds like a great trip. Cant wait for the pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,need heaps of pics:lol:

Cheers Noel

Gateholio
04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Have fun.

Don't get lost!!:lol:

srupp
04-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Funny boy Clarke......

stevie

one-shot-wonder
04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Stay focussed on shooting bears you can catch fish any year.....You have a possibility of shooting a real hog in that area! It is nice however to be able to catch your meal fresh every day but I would be packing canned fish if I was given the opportunity to shoot a Bella Grizz to maximize my time for bear hunting. With that being said I guess you still need to enjoy yourself and take advantage of the fresh catch!
Good luck!

hunter1947
04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Good luck on your trip http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif,hope to see some pic when you get back ,don't get to fat on the crab and halibut thing. hunter47.

30-06
04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
good luck on ur hunt..LOTS of pics/video

elkster
04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Srupp,
tight lines and straight shooting. Shoot the bear, fish after.

Will
04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Best of luck Steven 8-)
Hope you ALL nail some Big Bears !

Save one for me and my draw next year:rolleyes:
.....Lucky Buggers ;)

gameslayer
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Sounds like a really fun trip, Try the drop off on the rock piles on the slack tide. This time of year the Halibut should be a little shallower they spawn in May. Commercial fishing jigging for lings, we seemed to come across the Hali's just was we hit the lower edge of the reef. We used big sweedish jiggers.

Nails
04-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Good Luck Srupp, enjoy the sights.

Leaseman
05-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Sorry I missed saying good bye ol' buddy...!!!
Have lots of fun (as usual!)....
Lots of pics (as usual!!).....
A 80 lb hali would fit fine in my freezer.....:lol:
Call on your return!!!

Mike

srupp
05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
sob sob..sorry ya missed me too Mike...sniff sniff..we will ATTEMPT to have lots of fun..unless FORDS POS..has more surprises for me...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Will do my best on Hali...I know about bears..should be able to get Tim his first G bear..I will give him first right of refusal....Ive been in on 2 dozen g bears so....lol..Crabs should be easy ..but halibut will take a bit o luck...I have some ideas..but tides disturbance weather etc...and spawning season will all make a huge difference..hell they can be laying right there and not feel like biting....

Bros before Hoes...well this time its Bears before barn doors...lol

Steve

Sorry ya missed me bud....

LeverActionJunkie
05-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Good luck Srupp, don't forget the camera! If I was you I wouldn't stop the truck once you leave Williams Lake it ain't always friendly territory after dark.