PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question...

DarekG
09-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Alright, this is probably a dumb question. In fact, I think it is a dumb question.

I was under the assumption that if I have my CORE, but not my PAL. As a legal adult I am allowed to hunt with a firearm, however I must be accompanied with someone that has their PAL.

Someone else I know, told me that if you have your CORE, you're allowed to hunt alone - However you can't purchase firearms or ammunition.

I asked him if he had a source for this and he couldn't find one. I'm guessing my first thought it correct, however I'd be pleasantly surprised to find out I can go whack a few rabbits on my lonesome.

Please don't flame the ever living sh*t out of me. I'm currently working on my PAL. :-P

upcomer
09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
You're right, he's wrong.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/#FirearmRegs

Firearms Regulations

As a resident of the province, you need a Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or the new federal firearms licence (PAL or POL) in order to legally possess firearms in B.C.
The only exception to this is if you are being supervised (see below).
Firearms fall under the Criminal Code of Canada and are therefore regulated by the Federal Government, NOT the Government of British Columbia. All inquiries related to Canadian firearms regulations should be directed to the Canadian Firearms Centre (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/).
As of January 1, 2001, the Wildlife Act will now accept a FAC, Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) or Possession-Only Licence (POL) for the purposes of carrying a gun in the bush. If you borrow a firearm you need a valid FAC or the new federal firearm licence (PAL, or POL) unless you are being immediately supervised by someone who is legally allowed to have that firearm.
Note that in addition to the FAC or federal firearms licence, in order to hunt, you also need a hunting licence issued by the province.
If you are just carrying a rifle or shotgun in the bush, you must have a valid federal firearms licence.

Youth (ages 10 to 18 inclusive) who participate in hunting in B.C. must be accompanied by an adult (18 years or older) who holds a valid hunting licence and be accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of that person. Accompanied under the Wildlife Act means to remain in the company of the other person, able to see the other person without the aid of any device other than ordinary corrective lenses and able to communicate by un-amplified voice with that person.

jeremy84
09-08-2015, 02:50 PM
it is my understanding that you cannot operate a firearm if you do not have your PAL unless you are in direct supervision (within arms reach) of someone who does. it doesn't matter if you are hunting or at the range.

Rock Doctor
09-08-2015, 02:54 PM
You can hunt with a Bow/Crossbow

RD

DarekG
09-08-2015, 02:55 PM
You can hunt with a Bow/Crossbow

RD

Apparently just a bow. A crossbow count's as a firearm as it has a trigger as per the regs from what I understand. (Not that I understand a whole lot!)
Looks like I gotta get a bow for now.

Gateholio
09-08-2015, 03:07 PM
A crossbow is NOT considered a firearm by Federal or BC Provincial laws.

You can only be in possession of a firearm if you have a PAL or are supervised by a PAL holder. You may not buy ammo without a PAL.

tuner
09-08-2015, 03:15 PM
I know several people who rifle hunt without a PAL, have done so for many years without a problem.