PDA

View Full Version : Lost shotgun mamquam

untilthelastbeat
09-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Hey all, buddy of mine forgot his shotgun about 6 K up the mamquam fsr this weekend and went back to find it and it had been scooped up. Know its a long shot but just wondering if anyone on here might have grabbed it. Hes very embarassed and He'd love to get it back. It's a Remington 870 pump. Thanks!

Sofa King
09-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Thats pretty careless to "forget" a firearm somewhere. A pair of gloves or somerhing, okay, but a freaking gun!!

untilthelastbeat
09-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Wasn't me.. just tryin to help a buddy

ducktoller
09-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Shit happens, whereabouts was it on the mamquam? I might be up there in a couple weeks and you never know if it is still there.

Lastcar
09-08-2015, 01:31 PM
I thought I was in the same boat last year getting my father's place after a day of shooting. Was sick to my stomach that I could be that irresponsible with a firearm. Especially in the bush where who knows who may find it.

Weird part is I was damn certain I had put it in my vehicle. Anyways wasn't until well after dark and I was unpacking all my shooting gear from a day of shooting with some friends. Rooted through the car with a vengeance. I mean its a shotgun, its not like it can slip under the driver seat like a wallet.

Drove all the way back out there...was some guys camped in the gravel pit where we were shooting. Said they didn't see it. Seemed pretty honest but of course in the back of my head I was wondering.

Halfway back I said to my father, no way it isn't in here. Was a fairly new vehicle and I didn't know all the nooks and crannys. Had the back seats down to fit everything in the SUV. Always put the guns in first, to avoid exactly this. So they were at the front of the now flat area in the back.

Turns out there is an opening at the front of the flattened seats, full width. Which doesn't lead to the foot wells in the back seats, but rather an open area below the folded seats and towards the back. There it was. Didn't help it was a black nova on black upholstery. Turns out things can even slip in there with the seats up, although trickier.

Since then I check that space from time to time. Find all kinds of things in there that I wondered where they were. Or had no idea they were missing.

At the end of the day, I know the feeling he is going through. The sinking feeling in my gut had nothing to do with the replacement cost. Rather the fact that as legal gun owner we owe it to each other and the general public to make sure we are not allowing guns to end up in the wrong hands. Whether shady folks or just goof balls who may do something dumb.

What a sinking feeling it was.

In my case it worked out. Hopefully in this case it makes it back to the owner as well. And lesson learned. If not, at least in the hands of a responsible gun owner with a PAL and just doesn't know who to get it to. Or perhaps it ended up being turned into the RCMP.

That was a call I wasn't looking forward to making. "Hey, lost a shotgun. Any chance it got turned in and I can come grab it?"

Hopefully this ends with a good result.

Peter Pepper
09-08-2015, 01:47 PM
If Harper looses I bet a lot of guns will suddenly get 'misplaced'

Ddog
09-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Thats pretty careless to "forget" a firearm somewhere. A pair of gloves or somerhing, okay, but a freaking gun!!

thanks for the comment though, as useless as it may be. Dont think the guy feels bad enough?

shit happens, thats just part of life.

i hope some honest person finds it and somehow it finds it way back home.

Sofa King
09-08-2015, 03:58 PM
thanks for the comment though, as useless as it may be. Dont think the guy feels bad enough?

I didn't make the post to make the feel bad or feel better.
and sorry, but "shit happens" may be okay for typical everyday stuff, but this was careless use of a firearm.
what if a kid found it? or a criminal?

firearms are a pretty serious issue.
they shouldn't be just left around at home, and they sure shouldn't be left around out of the home.
was it a mistake? for sure it was.
but when it comes to guns, mistakes can become costly very fast.

I see nothing wrong with adding a comment to this thread about better gun safety.
instead of sluffing it off with a "shit happens" comment that doesn't help anyone.
remember people, new young hunters are reading and learning from these threads also.

Gr8 white hunter
09-08-2015, 04:26 PM
So what do you do report it. to the RCMP or not??

tuner
09-08-2015, 05:03 PM
If Harper looses I bet a lot of guns will suddenly get 'misplaced'
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Coachman
09-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Its a firearm. . If it's lost, no matter how it happened, don't make the situation worse by not reporting it to Squamish RCMP. Maybe someone dropped it off at a Cop Shop.

albravo2
09-08-2015, 05:27 PM
and sorry, but "shit happens" may be okay for typical everyday stuff, but this was careless use of a firearm.

they shouldn't be just left around at home, and they sure shouldn't be left around out of the home.

I see nothing wrong with adding a comment to this thread about better gun safety.
instead of sluffing it off with a "shit happens" comment that doesn't help anyone.
remember people, new young hunters are reading and learning from these threads also.

Like it or not, shit does happen. I'm sure the guy feels terrible and hopefully it never happens again. But we are human and we do make mistakes.

Buddy is just trying to help his friend get his gun back.

TPK
09-09-2015, 09:42 AM
So what do you do report it. to the RCMP or not??

No choice, reporting a lost or stolen firearm is the law, no grey area here, report it.

Ddog
09-09-2015, 11:39 AM

ya nothing wrong with adding anything about gun safety,,, but where did you mention anything about gun safety? keep your useless comments to yourself.

preveda
09-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Hey all, buddy of mine forgot his shotgun about 6 K up the mamquam fsr this weekend and went back to find it and it had been scooped up. Know its a long shot but just wondering if anyone on here might have grabbed it. Hes very embarassed and He'd love to get it back. It's a Remington 870 pump. Thanks!

I'll be driving up there Friday, if you have more details on where it might be I'll do a quick search and let you know if I find it!

Gateholio
09-09-2015, 04:29 PM
No choice, reporting a lost or stolen firearm is the law, no grey area here, report it.

Absolutely. Besides, if someone finds it and decides to turn it in, the local RCMp is where it's going to end up

yamadirt 426
09-09-2015, 04:35 PM

That guy is well known for making stupid remarks. Very normal for him.

untilthelastbeat
09-09-2015, 05:14 PM
I'll be driving up there Friday, if you have more details on where it might be I'll do a quick search and let you know if I find it!

Thanks but he already went back shortly after with no luck

IslandBC
09-09-2015, 05:39 PM
That's to bad . Pretty retarted but yeah he's only human. Reminds me of a story about how some hikers a couple years back found a loaded bazooka on the malahat ! Leaning up against a tree. Been there since the 80's . Guess the army used to train up there. Hope it turns up