PDA

View Full Version : Father/sons new to hunting region 2 this weekend

Eagle2
09-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Hello everyone
Hoping to take my sons out hunting this weekend, in region 2. Looking for bear or mule deer. Willing to hike a bit. Any ideas on where we should head? Hoping to camp out overnight. Open to suggestions!
Thanks!

tuner
09-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Region 2 is a difficult area for a beginner, pemberton valley is probably your best bet, if you're willing to travel a couple of hours you'll be in region3 or 8 and in better deer and grouse areas. Good luck and happy hunting.

sharp shooter
09-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Your better off the buzz up the coq and do a over nighter there, reg 2 is a very tough region to hunt unless you have horse shoe up the back side :)

RackStar
09-08-2015, 05:32 AM
like others said buzz up the coq.. not much further of a drive region 2 Is a hard one, best time is nov dec

BgBlkDg
09-08-2015, 06:11 AM
Chilliwack Lake Road or Skagit, nice country, some Blacktails, but, I haven't bothered in 20+ years, too many hunters, some who should not have a sharp stick, never mind a gun.

Coq, and the Coldwater turnoff down into Lawless Creek and out at Princeton is a nice trip at this time of year and there are a few big Mulies and the odd Grouse to be had.....lots of nice spots to camp.

Eagle2
09-08-2015, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys. What makes region 2 so difficult at this time for newbies? Too many hunters, or do the animals stay too high up at this time of year?

sharp shooter
09-08-2015, 07:58 AM
To many hunter plus the forest is thick and steep and black tails deer are hard to hunt, there call the "gray ghost" for a reason :) like other have Mentioned that nov/dec is the best time to hunt reg 2 when the snow pushes the deer down to the valley bottoms

brian
09-08-2015, 08:39 AM
What makes region 2 so difficult at this time for newbies? Too many hunters, or do the animals stay too high up at this time of year?

Two words black tail. Put them together and you have one tough animal to hunt in terrain that favors its continued existence. I hunted up Chilliwack Valley as a newb, it is a tough go no doubt about it. You really have to intimately know the land or have a horse shoe solidly implanted up your arse if you want to have a decent chance at one. If camping I would recommend heading into mule deer country and doing some spot and stalk.

albravo2
09-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Good advice on here.

If they aren't standing on the road it is hard to see critters in much of the area around here. Steep, thick brush.

There are some open areas too, old growth, but I spent Sunday traipsing around various old growth areas looking for chanterelles and didn't see any deer or bear sign. Bears are probably closer to the rivers right now, gorging on salmon. Word of warning, though, I hear fish bears taste much worse than berry bears.

Pemberton has much better visibility, more big cut blocks, but the hunting pressure doesn't match the game density imho.

I live in Squamish and probably only hunted here about 3 days last season. If you're spending an overnight it is well worth the drive up into the interior.

Iron Glove
09-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Depends where in 2 you live and how far you want to travel but I'd agree with those who suggest heading into 8.
Lawless off the COQ and find a cut block off one of the side roads or take the Tulameen FSR and do the same.
Head past Manning and up the Pasatyn ( sp. ?? ) or South of Princeton on the FSR's off of Copper Mtn. Son has been up there recently, lots of bunnies and birds.
It's going to be busy anywhere you go.
I'm debating whether to head up to Tulameen for a few days and hit the hills surrounding there and Princeton or stay in Hope and snag, umm I mean hook some Pinks.

Eagle2
09-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Well, sounds like it should be an interesting challenge this weekend, which is good. Thanks for all of the suggestions, always appreciate it. Good to see guys are willing to help out and provide some advice. Looks like a good weekend to be out camping, so whether we see anything or not, it should still be a good time!