PDA

View Full Version : scent control in alpine

chrismcd
09-07-2015, 04:59 PM
How do you control scent in alpine .
Should I camp down mtn or on the downwind side of it. Or does it matter?
How about walking around looking for grouse during the day. Will I leave too much scent on ground for the evening?
Campfires yes Or no? Any tips ? Thanks

Sofa King
09-07-2015, 05:05 PM
don't worry so much about it.
concentrate on it when actually pursuing the game, trying to use the wind to your advantage.
relax and chill when in camp.

looking for grouse during the day?
why aren't you hunting during the day?

campfires.
hell yeah, as long as they aren't banned.

hunting should be fun.
don't overthink things too much and worry about them.
the only way to find that shooter is to be spending time out in the field.

chrismcd
09-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Yeah true enough. I guess those danm birds can wait .
Well that's saves me a lot of sleep and hiking . Thanks . I wouldn't have been a happy camper hiking up a mountain every morning

GoatGuy
09-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Depends on what you're hunting/how big the country is/how much usable habitat the critters have/ and pressure.

There are many spots elk will bail, so will mule deer, and sheep. Goats don't seem to as much.

Bugle M In
09-07-2015, 05:32 PM
If you want go all out, cut some pine branches, or even better, juniper bush branches, and put them in a duffle bag (not plastic garbage bags .. they smell).
That will work....just don't leaves those branches in over the off season....you will be picking out dead pine needles from the most inconvenient places.

chrismcd
09-07-2015, 05:43 PM
@bugle M in. Do you change clothes daily? They would definitley start to smell after hiking all day?, I use a lot of thatscent free stuff. Not to sure if it helps but I'd rather use it an do nothing than the opposite
@goat guy .sheep react to pressure less then deer and elk? That's interesting .I wonder why

Gateholio
09-07-2015, 05:48 PM
When the day is warming, scent goes up. When it's cooling, scent goes down.

Bugle M In
09-07-2015, 06:01 PM
I think its because sheep have superior eyesight, so I would assume they use that as their 1st line of defense.
Hearing and Smelling, might be secondary....look at us, we use sight, than sound and smelling is almost non existent.
Don't get me wrong, sheep use their sense of smell.
But usually the wind travels uphill during the day, so as long as the sheep aren't directly above you, you should be ok.
That's why you see many people go around their quarry, up another ridge line alongside the sheep if possible to stop scent blowing directly at sheep.
Only other advice, where different clothing on the hikes up ( "Sweat Clothing" ), then change, spray an odor eliminator on body, than put on fresh day use clothing ( Hunting/ Stalking ).
I hunt on mountain bikes for elk, but the hike up is lots of pushing and sweating, so once up to where I am going to hunt all day, off goes the sweaty clothing, on comes the other gear for the day.

Murder
09-07-2015, 06:04 PM
When the day is warming, scent goes up. When it's cooling, scent goes down.

Bang on. In the morning and late afternoon she's coming down the mountain, up mid day. Unless some other weather pattern is changing things up.

horshur
09-07-2015, 07:42 PM
cant hide your scent.......

Ohwildwon
09-07-2015, 07:51 PM
If you know it's causing a problem, take your clothes off and roll around in the dirt...
Then put your hunting clothes back on, and roll around in the Moss (don't want to get your clothes dirty!)
After that, shape shift into a tree, and your good to go..:D