PDA

View Full Version : Charged by Grizz

boneswells
09-07-2015, 04:38 PM
My heart goes out to the two guys that just got attacked in the peace, by that sow. Two days ago I found myself in that situation but was fortunate she never went though with it. I was out elk hunting in region 7 with my crossbow. I was hunting private land. I was sitting on a small point by a lake, there was bear sign in the bush and on the beach but I brushed it off as just bear sign. I just finished a snack and texting my wife. I heard some cracking behind me in the bush grabbed my bow and turned and met eyes with a bear and could tell it was a grizz because of the size of the head and silver on the face it was about 15 ft. away. I said hey, I' m here! and she charged me instantly. She came out head down and growling, I was yelling and running backwards. I somehow found my safety on my crossbow and shot running backwards but my luminox let me know I missed by about 6". By this time her feet were touching where my were lifting up, I coulda smacked her she was so close mouth open and growling. I was running backwards still and by this time we were in the lake....that's when I fell down. I was cowering and she stood above me stomping growling and showing all her teeth. I thought it was over. She turned ran back to the beach and that's when I seen her two large cubs. Growling still she ran at me again came half way turned and hit the bush with the cubs in tow. Leaving me standing there soaking wet and very, very scared. I walked through the lake to the trail I knew I came in on. I have never been so scared in my life.

The next day I had to go back and get my backpack this time on my quad and with my defender. The beach was all torn up with tracks and my phone was laying on the beach....I never got a chance to put it away.

The lesson I learnt is to never underestimate bear sign. I don't post much on the site but I want people to know that this is what we love to do but BE SO CAREFUL! This stuff happens FAST! My family and I am feel so lucky it never got worse for me. I hope those two sheep hunters make out all right.

HarryToolips
09-07-2015, 04:42 PM
thanks for posting, a very good reminder for sure...lol how was your underpants???

Wrayzer
09-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Glad you made it out safe. Lots of unnerving stories this Fall and the season is still young.

Blainer
09-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Wow, glad it didn't go further south!

jeff341
09-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks man.....

coulda been a lot worse. new to the outdoors....i'll remember this post for a long while

IslandBC
09-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Wow! You may have a horse shoe up your ... Crazy story

gamehunter6o
09-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the write up. I'm glad I was not in your underwear but this link may be helpful to you.
http://www.jockey.ca/catalog/sale?department=men&category=underwear

M.Dean
09-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Man oh Man!!! Not many people can say they survived something like what you just went through! I'm positive I'd be on the HBC Memorial page! There's not to many happy endings to a Griz attack story like yours! Glad your OK!

mstewart
09-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting!

Stillhunting
09-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Wow, glad to hear she decided to just give you a warning. I know exactly what that is like. I was lucky too, but it's quite the feeling thinking you're toast and then realizing the grizz is going to let you live.

Ohwildwon
09-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Wow! Great to here your OK.. You must have gone into Shock after that?!

Yep, hunting in certain parts of this great province ain't no joke...

Rattler
09-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Wow that is a crazy scary story...that will give you nightmares for awhile. Lots of gbear stories this fall. Be careful out there everyone.

Billy52
09-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Glad you are ok. Very lucky.

Fosey
09-07-2015, 08:54 PM
All these grizzly encounters, I will be ready. What a reminder thanks very much.

VanIsleCam
09-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Wow man that's crazy

adriaticum
09-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Good for you, I'm glad you were unharmed.
Hopefully we can all learn something from this.

scottwh
09-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Wow! Glad your ok!!! My wife and I were just talking about situations like this yesterday as I was out solo grizz hunting this spring and she wasnt too impressed about that. You never know what could happen. Seems like alot of grizz activity out there these days. You definitely have to have eyes on all 4 corners of your head!

270ruger
09-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Frigging scary situation,good to hear no injuries.I know carry a telescopic inspection mirror with me and when I'm sitting for any length of time I use to check my back and peripheral views,especially when calling.Always carry a slugged up shorty when I hunt in archery season for this very reason.

wideopenthrottle
09-08-2015, 06:56 AM
glad to hear you did what it took...you just never know what kind of mood those big sombitch are going to be in when you meet them

Edge
09-08-2015, 07:07 AM
It was your lucky day. Glad things turned out OK.:grin:

We were also charged by a large grizz boar while sitting on the bank of Gaspard Creek in June 2007. We came within feet & less than a second of getting mauled/killed.We were not armed at the fishing spot. Yelling saved us. Eve hurt her leg badly falling 3 times while running away. I made it back in less than a minute with aloaded 375 H&H but the bear was gone.
Lesson learned-never let your guard down when in bear country- always be alert -have a properly loaded gun within reach & be highly proficient with it. That means practice & practice.

+1 to that and very happy to hear you were not harmed. Personally I think it would affect me for a long time and I hope you heal after this......here is a excerpt from my query to local CO's on the question of defending yourself from a bear attack..

A person has the right to protect (defence necessity) themselves from wildlife if they feel their life is in danger.

There is no guaranteed mechanism for a person to protect themselves from bears if their life is in danger. Firearms are likely the most reliable method of self-defence, however they do jam or the shooter may miss their target under the high pressure situation. Various other methods are used to deter bears in a conflict scenario. There are people that use air horns for bear protection, however they do not necessarily work; they may startle the bear at first, but there is a possibility that the bear will return immediately. If the individual is between a sow and her cub, between the carcass and the predatory, or a predatory attack, it is entirely possible that bear spray or an air horn would not be effective. The best way to protect yourself in the woods (other than with a firearm) is through education, there are various training courses available throughout the province that teach about bear behaviour and what to do in the case of an encounter, including devices that may help for protection.

If a person kills wildlife, either by accident or for the protection of life or property, they are legally obligated to abide by section 75 of the Wildlife Act. Please note that you will more and likely be questioned by the Conservation Officer if a bear is killed at a time when it is not allowed.

Section 75 of the Wildlife Act states:

Accidental killing of wildlife
75 (1) A person who kills or wounds wildlife, other than prescribed wildlife, either by accident or for the protection of life or property, must promptly report to an officer

(a) the killing or wounding, and
(b) the location of the wildlife.

(2) A person who fails to report as required under subsection (1) commits an offence."

from this I got.......you can use a firearm, even if during "bow only " season but you better have it for protection only (ie 12 gauge loaded with slugs) and be prepared to be questioned and you better have a believable story of why that bruin is dead. ( I carry defender, plug out and loaded with slugs)

my $.02

Ride Red
09-08-2015, 07:26 AM
Happy to hear this story has a positive ending. Being alert to your surroundings is key, but it is surprising how a big animal can get up to you without making a sound. I'm always pack'in my M870 tactical(now)for this very reason as my son and I had a bear charge us from a distance a few years ago on a full run. It only stopped a few yards away as I was banging the biggest rocks I could muster together to sound huge. I was able to get my son out of there while I stayed for a distraction. Fortunately, I was able to leave too, but it sure made me rethink my future scouting trips. I've had a couple interesting encounters over the last 40 years, but nothing like that one.

.330 Dakota
09-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Glad she changed her mind,,,,maybe have a can of bear spray on your hip next time,,,,Counter Assault brand...red can--large,,when it works its quite effective,,,as is the .454 Casull

Bugle M In
09-08-2015, 12:08 PM
+1 to that and very happy to hear you were not harmed. Personally I think it would affect me for a long time and I hope you heal after this......here is a excerpt from my query to local CO's on the question of defending yourself from a bear attack..

A person has the right to protect (defence necessity) themselves from wildlife if they feel their life is in danger.

There is no guaranteed mechanism for a person to protect themselves from bears if their life is in danger. Firearms are likely the most reliable method of self-defence, however they do jam or the shooter may miss their target under the high pressure situation. Various other methods are used to deter bears in a conflict scenario. There are people that use air horns for bear protection, however they do not necessarily work; they may startle the bear at first, but there is a possibility that the bear will return immediately. If the individual is between a sow and her cub, between the carcass and the predatory, or a predatory attack, it is entirely possible that bear spray or an air horn would not be effective. The best way to protect yourself in the woods (other than with a firearm) is through education, there are various training courses available throughout the province that teach about bear behaviour and what to do in the case of an encounter, including devices that may help for protection.

If a person kills wildlife, either by accident or for the protection of life or property, they are legally obligated to abide by section 75 of the Wildlife Act. Please note that you will more and likely be questioned by the Conservation Officer if a bear is killed at a time when it is not allowed.

Section 75 of the Wildlife Act states:

Accidental killing of wildlife
75 (1) A person who kills or wounds wildlife, other than prescribed wildlife, either by accident or for the protection of life or property, must promptly report to an officer

(a) the killing or wounding, and
(b) the location of the wildlife.

(2) A person who fails to report as required under subsection (1) commits an offence."

from this I got.......you can use a firearm, even if during "bow only " season but you better have it for protection only (ie 12 gauge loaded with slugs) and be prepared to be questioned and you better have a believable story of why that bruin is dead. ( I carry defender, plug out and loaded with slugs)

my $.02

Absolutely!
Sucks however to pack a Bow/Crossbow and a shortened shotgun however, as well as everything else.
I understand why it would be more practical to have a sidearm instead.
Met some folks over the years that do, may not be legal, but they still do it.

FourOhs
09-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Absolutely!
Sucks however to pack a Bow/Crossbow and a shortened shotgun however, as well as everything else.
I understand why it would be more practical to have a sidearm instead.
Met some folks over the years that do, may not be legal, but they still do it.
You better be talking .44mag or .50. I can picture unloading a clip full of 9mm or even .40 S&W into a large grizz boar and it having little effect (at least not a timely enough effect to save you) unless you get very lucky.

EDIT: ... in a jurisdiction outside of BC where carrying a handgun in the bush is legal, of course.

kaptin
09-08-2015, 02:03 PM
I have a shotgun I use but it's not loaded with slugs. Is that ok?

Bugle M In
09-08-2015, 02:08 PM
You better be talking .44mag or .50. I can picture unloading a clip full of 9mm or even .40 S&W into a large grizz boar and it having little effect (at least not a timely enough effect to save you) unless you get very lucky.

EDIT: ... in a jurisdiction outside of BC where carrying a handgun in the bush is legal, of course.

I'll take anything over "Bear Repellant", and with my luck, I would somehow find a way to hit myself with that spray, and stop breathing all together
(after thinking about it, might be a good thing under the circumstances)

I was thinking at least a .357 Mag, but hey, a .44 mag would always be nice!

albravo2
09-08-2015, 02:12 PM

Better be 00 Buck at the very least. Bird shot will not be helpful. In my bear shottie I have two 00 Buck, then 3 slugs.

OP, that is a hell of a story. You'll not soon forget that experience. I'm really happy it turned out the say it did. Lots of ways that could have gone badly, only a couple possible happy endings and you got one of them. Good for you!

gcreek
09-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Glad you are OK. It seems more grizzlies are finding they are protected and are losing fear of man. Wish a few greenies would get eaten and the laws changed.

.330 Dakota
09-08-2015, 07:05 PM
If you load your own heavy cast bullets the 44 mag is a formidable cartridge,,,,,say 330gr hard cast at 1300fps

Edge
09-09-2015, 07:32 AM

first of all. If it's grouse season and legal to shoot with a shotty then you are legal to carry it with birdshot. I'm talking about "bow season only" where it would otherwise be illegal to carry a gun in the woods. Then as I understand it, it depends on what it's loaded with ..if the purpose of carrying the weapon is for defending yourself from wildlife then it stands to reason that you would load it with enough power to "get the job done".....bird shot could be interrupted as "you were really illegally hunting for grouse and "coincidentally" shot at a Grizz. the intent here is that the gun has a sole purpose for you carrying it. DEFENSE! this is my understanding only though.

rocksteady
09-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Where does it say in the regs that you are not allowed to walk in the woods with a loaded rifle or shotgun?

If you walk your dogs in the winter, you can legally pack a gun, as coyote season is open. In the spring, gopher season..

Bugle M In
09-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Where does it say in the regs that you are not allowed to walk in the woods with a loaded rifle or shotgun?

If you walk your dogs in the winter, you can legally pack a gun, as coyote season is open. In the spring, gopher season..

I think what was originally talked about was that you cant pack a sidearm/handgun in the woods.
Lots of other countries you are allowed.
The only one's who have legal sidearms have to stay at the range, if I am totally correct.
The only other one's packing are the illegal ones being used all over the LM

whognu
09-09-2015, 03:35 PM
regarding carrying a loaded rifle/shotgun in the woods.......

i have always believed if you have a valid hunting license the only answer needed to the CO is "seen any wolves'?

open most of year in most places and no tag required and often NBL

and they are pretty much everywhere now

whognu

270ruger
09-10-2015, 05:31 AM
My Dad always had #6 shot first to go in the shotgun, I asked why and he said that close and that fast shoot right between the eyes,if it can't see you,it can't kill you,the next two rounds were slugs to finish it off,he swore by it.

J_06
09-10-2015, 03:38 PM
You don't need a hunting licence to carry in the bush. What's a non hunter going to do, only shoot at a range? Non restricted means exactly that.