PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Warning

SPEYMAN
09-07-2015, 04:25 PM
This was copied from another site. I know the person that posted and can speak for him.

WARNING!!!!!
Just got in and returned a call from a friend. He was very concerned about the well being of others so please pass this on. He was over on the West side of Crossing Creek (Coco Claims) on a trail known as "Branch D" and was charged by a large Grizzly. The bear charged him as he rode on his quad. It kept up the chase for a good 100 yds. before it gave up and he was at a speed of near 40 kms/hr , so a person on foot would have had no chance. He returned again today and this time in his truck with a friend and a rifle, they drove to the area and the bear charged his truck this time.He estimates the bear at near 600 lbs. and he said it appears its guarding a moose carcass. He has tried the Conservation Officers and wanted info on how to reach the Elkford ATV club, so I gave him some names to contact and told him I would post this on my FB. There are many people out in the bush right now and not all are hunting and many only armed with bows. This is a very aggressive bear and an unarmed , unaware person would never stand a chance. If travelling over the Crossing Creek/Coco Claims and descending down the West side on Branch "D" into the Bull River you would be heading straight into this bear. Please share and warn anyone and everyone you know that may be in, near or considering to travel this specific area. Thank you!

Bugle M In
09-07-2015, 06:08 PM
One thing I have always "tried" to do was write in the dirt, if on a gravel/dirt road, "Gut Pile Ahead".
It may not help guys on vehicles, but than again, I hunt in road closure areas.
It's the best I can do for a fellow hunter, if I've taken any game, and if the pile is close to a road/trail.
thanks for the heads up.

toad
09-07-2015, 06:12 PM
^^^^^^ thats a great idea thanks

wideopenthrottle
09-08-2015, 10:18 AM
ran into a sow and 2 cubs close to there 3 years ago...as soon as I whistled she gathered her cubs and took off...was nice to see her fearful of people...it was on the other side of the bull where sulfur creek joins in...our camp was about 1km from there ....with 7 deer and an elk hanging and only 2 days left on our trip we definitely thought/chatted a bit about leaving a day early....the warm weather was the final straw and we did leave a day early...luckily when we stopped for a pee on the way home buddy's dad filled his 2nd and last tag of the group...

Bugle M In
09-08-2015, 12:03 PM
ran into a sow and 2 cubs close to there 3 years ago...as soon as I whistled she gathered her cubs and took off...was nice to see her fearful of people...it was on the other side of the bull where sulfur creek joins in...our camp was about 1km from there ....with 7 deer and an elk hanging and only 2 days left on our trip we definitely thought/chatted a bit about leaving a day early....the warm weather was the final straw and we did leave a day early...luckily when we stopped for a pee on the way home buddy's dad filled his 2nd and last tag of the group...

Did the same one year.
Had an elk hanging in camp.
Than saw a "huge" grizz not even 500 yrds from camp.
Decided to pack it up, not worth the hassle, and this boy was a beast.

wideopenthrottle
09-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Did the same one year.
Had an elk hanging in camp.
Than saw a "huge" grizz not even 500 yrds from camp.
Decided to pack it up, not worth the hassle, and this boy was a beast.

was it in the same area or elsewhere?

Bugle M In
09-08-2015, 02:02 PM
was it in the same area or elsewhere?

Not in the Bull River watershed region, more North, but still in the EK as well.
Some area where those 2 poor souls lost their lives some years ago, after getting a bull elk, way up in the sub alpine, in late Oct, in the 90's, I believe.
I think they were from Chilliwack, and yes it was a Grizz attack....and a brutal one at that.
Before than, I had never seen a Grizz....now, I expect it, and more than once on the week long hunt.

wideopenthrottle
09-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Not in the Bull River watershed region, more North, but still in the EK as well.
Some area where those 2 poor souls lost their lives some years ago, after getting a bull elk, way up in the sub alpine, in late Oct, in the 90's, I believe.
I think they were from Chilliwack, and yes it was a Grizz attack....and a brutal one at that.
Before than, I had never seen a Grizz....now, I expect it, and more than once on the week long hunt.

well on the bright side......maybe there will be a GOS griz hunt there in a few years...heheheh

j270wsm
09-08-2015, 05:59 PM
More than enough bears in the EK for a spring and fall hunt.