PDA

View Full Version : arseholes at it again

Drache
09-06-2015, 08:54 PM
As some may remember last year I posted about some problems hunting behind my family ranch in region 5-14. A group of hunters (not local) were doing things like blocking roads with rocks so they could only get past on their atvs.

Seems this spring they were at least it again. Not only did they take heavy machinery up there to block the same road in three different spots with very large boulders but we also found a bear bait bucket tied to a tree.

I currently don't have internet service at home but I'll try to post up all the pictures I took whenever I find some free WiFi.

Wrj
09-06-2015, 09:00 PM
You know who to call....

GHOST BUSTERS!!

Nah man, maybe just call your CO.

IslandBC
09-06-2015, 09:02 PM
take the tree stand! that otta send a message... or call the RAPP

Drache
09-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Calling conservation in the morning. Just getting pictures off camera tonight.

Daybreak
09-06-2015, 09:05 PM
If they are using heavy equipment to block roads surely they must be locals? I'm sure authorities would like to know about this. blocking roads is not good for fire fighters or emergencies. Keep us posted.

Sofa King
09-06-2015, 09:07 PM
they aren't local hunters, but they are bringing heavy machinery in to block the road?
sounds like locals.

report them to the CO's and the police.

tuner
09-06-2015, 09:09 PM
If they are not locals, how are they transporting heavy machinery into the area? I'm not trying to be a contrarian, I'm just curious as to why you think they would be from elsewhere? It seems like a lot of expense, and risk for what it's worth.

Sofa King
09-06-2015, 09:18 PM
must be some darn good hunting in there if they are going to that effort.
dang assholes.

Doostien
09-06-2015, 09:27 PM
It must have been locals bringing in the equipment. I can't imagine someone from out of town going through the trouble. A-holes who do stuff like are usually the ones nearby who think the spot is 'theirs'.

Blocking roads would be a problem for the forest service. Though they are dreadfully slow at everything. When I've come across that kind of thing a visit from a big green Deere usually fixes the problem.

Drache
09-06-2015, 09:28 PM
By locals I mean those that live in the area. It's a very small amount of people out here and we all know each other. Someone (not a local) bought a hunting cabin out there. There was a group of about five or six last year driving there atvs and utvs around hunting from this cabin. Figure it's the same group since the road blocking is near this cabin (but the roads and area are crown land) and started the very next day we ran into them hunting on their atvs and utvs.

Sofa King
09-06-2015, 09:38 PM
that does make sense.
it would sure suck if something happened to that cabin, wouldn't it.

Drache
09-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Trying to do this from my phone so hopefully it works.

http://i.imgur.com/07yXHDK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gK14KkY.jpg

Daybreak
09-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Your pics worked fine.

You are doing the right thing and you need to shut this activity down sooner rather than later. Hopefully you and your neighbours can set the tone that they bought in the wrong place and they will move on.

Drache
09-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Sorry for large pictures. Can't resize them with my phone. Picture doesn't do the size of these boulders justice. You can see marks where the machine was used to lift them up. There were three sections blocked like this. My father and I used my pickup and a tow rope to get through the first two since they used smaller rocks. This one gave us a little trouble due to the rocks being to large.

These rocks were not there last year. This was done this spring would be my guess.

http://i.imgur.com/WQPDY41.jpg

Drache
09-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Your pics worked fine.

You are doing the right thing and you need to shut this activity down sooner rather than later. Hopefully you and your neighbours can set the tone that they bought in the wrong place and they will move on.

I did an online report using my phone so hopefully a CO will get back to me on the matter.

Coachman
09-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Lots of guessing and assuming going on. It's definitely wrong doing, but without KNOWING who and why, reporting to the authorities is the next step.

I've seen some pretty strange things over the years that turned out to be legit, and some really official looking crap that was not legit.

Tbe bait bucket is absolutely illegal no matter how you look at it. CO should be called immediately.

Forestry should be notified about the road and let them assess it.

Drache
09-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Lots of guessing and assuming going on. It's definitely wrong doing, but without KNOWING who and why, reporting to the authorities is the next step.

I've seen some pretty strange things over the years that turned out to be legit, and some really official looking crap that was not legit.

Tbe bait bucket is absolutely illegal no matter how you look at it. CO should be called immediately.

Forestry should be notified about the road and let them assess it.

Yes I am assuming it is the same guys as last year. But last year those guys were seen rolling rocks onto the same road by one of our neighbors. So the assumptions are a little grounded.

M.Dean
09-07-2015, 09:33 AM
What a guy should do is this, leave everything just like you found it, after going through this much work, these a-holes are coming back. I'd let them go through the trouble of setting up there hunting camp, then go into the camp with your "Big Greene Deere"! Bucket down, one warning yell, then clean up the camp! And if they have pickups parked by the rocks, why not pick the rocks up, raise them as high as the bucket will go, then place them into the pickup boxes! They must like the big rocks, they sure went through a lot of trouble to put them across "Your Road"! Might be wise to take a few Rancher Buddy's with you for the "Cleanup Camp Day"! And, if possible, keep us Up To Date on these Trespassers and Poachers, I really hope they get what they so justly deserve!!! Wish I lived a bit closer to you and was in a bit better shape, I'd pay good money to chat with them and help clean up there camp!

Fred1
09-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Scatter a bunch of grow-op paraphernalia around that cabin and along the road - some fertilizer, potting pots, red plastic beer cups, a strip of drip tubing etc . Take a few pics and make a phone call. That usually gets a faster response...

bigredchev
09-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Set a game can up to be sure

Sofa King
09-07-2015, 09:51 AM
maybe this is the cabin of some DLR workers.
blocking roads is second nature to them, and the powers that be seem to support it.

ruger#1
09-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Regal Ridge - Anarchist Mountain, Osoyoos, BC. These guys were doing the same thing. They tried to block Lamont drive. Where the Bull moose statue is. They were told to remove the rocks. Roads needs to be kept open for fire suppression.

howa1500
09-07-2015, 10:12 AM
I'd set up trail cams and get imagery... Then probably some public shaming...

bearvalley
09-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Scatter a bunch of grow-op paraphernalia around that cabin and along the road - some fertilizer, potting pots, red plastic beer cups, a strip of drip tubing etc . Take a few pics and make a phone call. That usually gets a faster response...

This is the best suggestion so far.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-07-2015, 10:51 AM
The baiting is only illegal if it is used for bears. Yotes, wolves etc are open for baiting as long as the season is open

caddisguy
09-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Interesting activities for sure. What was in the bait bucket? I'm guessing it's not a deer feeder. As SSS mentioned if it's fish/meat and there are any openings for coyotes/wolves, it might make it more difficult to prove that it's illegal and being used for bears.

Also wonder how much effort it took to place those rocks. I see other rocks around in the background. I can't quite tell how big or heavy the are, but I've dragged/rolled some rocks from a slide off the road just with a jeep and some rope. If the rocks were already within 30 meters or so of where they blocked it, it might not have taken much effort after all.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Barracuda
09-07-2015, 11:56 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?23174-Baiting-in-BC

Drache
09-07-2015, 12:53 PM
The bucket was filled with chicken skin, guts, etc.

As for the rocks some could be moved by a vehicle. But the pictures don't show the fresh gouges made by machinery.

Manglinmike
09-07-2015, 02:32 PM
what part of 5-14 is this happening in ,I hunt around the Moldrum creek area and I have not noticed anything like that last fall?

IslandBC
09-07-2015, 02:48 PM
That would be an effective way to bait a bear in, once... lol that bucket would get ripped off that tree if it were for bear (and it will eventually). I say that because I made a similar contraption for deer with feed and the cam picked up a bear ripping it off the tree. Wasn't to comfortable walking up to get it and seeing a plastic bucket ripped apart. Last time I did that. I would bet it's for coyote or wolf. High enough they can't get to it but can keep smelling it and coming back. Bet you there's a cam close by.

gamehunter6o
09-07-2015, 03:08 PM
I find it hard to believe that BC hunters would actually attempt to keep fellow hunters out of "their" area.:roll:
I thought that sort of thing only happened in NZ.:lol:

Do what I do. Let slip where you are (supposedly) getting all your deer, and while every one is at Gamehunters "hot spot" you have got the other areas to yourself.:idea:

tuner
09-07-2015, 03:24 PM
maybe this is the cabin of some DLR workers.
blocking roads is second nature to them, and the powers that be seem to support it.
Yeah, and then they would try to prosecute and sue for trespassing, while the provincial government sit on the sidelines quietly cowering in fear of a foreign billionaire.

chinooker
09-07-2015, 03:29 PM
they aren't local hunters, but they are bringing heavy machinery in to block the road?
sounds like locals.

report them to the CO's and the police.

Its ok, their native they apparently are allowed to block roads and even keep the RCMP out!

frenchbar
09-07-2015, 03:37 PM
****ed by the old heavy equipment across the road trick ..those mother ****ers anyways lol

Gr8 white hunter
09-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Drop some trees block them in.bury some 2x6 full of nails find there truck's get a valve stem remover pull out there values from the tires and throw them in the bush.I know it's wrong but enough is enough.

Edzzed
09-07-2015, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't do it myself but where their trucks are parked, Use some vice grips and pull out the tire valve stems on all tires. Doesn't do any real damage but they will have to remove the rubber to put new stems in and balance the tire after that's done.

Busterpayton54
09-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Id take a digital camera up there at night because the infra red light that you can't see with your eye is picked up and displayed on digital cameras / screens. Find the location of the camera and make sure they have a good view of you running the handle of that bucket on your junk and bunger.. Maybe even take a pic of yourself violating their camera, then put the screen shot in front of its lense. You know no one wears gloves while they deal with the sd card or buttons. Id also put a sign where the rocks were that says you may be watching and blocking roads makes your trigger finger itchy.

Ohwildwon
09-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Id take a digital camera up there at night because the infra red light that you can't see with your eye is picked up and displayed on digital cameras / screens. Find the location of the camera and make sure they have a good view of you running the handle of that bucket on your junk and bunger.. Maybe even take a pic of yourself violating their camera, then put the screen shot in front of its lense. You know no one wears gloves while they deal with the sd card or buttons. Id also put a sign where the rocks were that says you may be watching and blocking roads makes your trigger finger itchy.

OMG, laugh of the day, for sure!

RBH
09-07-2015, 11:02 PM
This is not a very exciting concept, but why not visit the cabin when the owners are there (or track them down and call them) and discuss what's happening and how people living in the area feel about it. If they don't clean up their act then you could ramp things up a bit. If I were an absentee owner of a remote cabin I would want to stay on good terms with the locals (i.e. or one day I might not have a cabin.)

Sofa King
09-07-2015, 11:42 PM
This is not a very exciting concept, but why not visit the cabin when the owners are there (or track them down and call them) and discuss what's happening and how people living in the area feel about it. If they don't clean up their act then you could ramp things up a bit. If I were an absentee owner of a remote cabin I would want to stay on good terms with the locals (i.e. or one day I might not have a cabin.)

you saw those rocks that they are blocking the road with right?
I don't think they are very concerned with what the locals or anyone else thinks of them.

Drache
09-15-2015, 05:57 AM
So it seems these people blocked another road.

Where the bucket is hanging is a "Y" in the road. The right hand road is where the rock pictures are from and is where I generally hunt.

Took the left hand road a couple days ago and came across more rocks placed onto the road. After pulling one with the truck to make a space to squeeze through I found out why. Seems they also id a few upgrades to their stand. As some remember I posted about rocks and this stand last year as well. Sometime this spring or summer they went and put a roof on it and a few extra braces for the legs.

http://i.imgur.com/usqVOAR.jpg

Either way, Conservation got back to me last night and are headed out to take a look. He stated that between the bucket, blocking the roads, and building a permanent stand, it's looking like a good reason for him to go take a look.

Steeleco
09-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Go get the ladder first, looks like a good one!! Then burn it down!

604ksmith
09-15-2015, 09:10 AM

I see we have an evil genius here...!

itsy bitsy xj
09-15-2015, 09:57 AM
My thoughts where to wait until they go in, then get your Deere and block it so they cant get out. More rocks and a trench or two and even some logs across the road. Don't let them seen you doing it then you can talk to a captive audience

cambo
09-15-2015, 10:31 AM
that would be funny.....dig a huge ditch across the road behind their trucks.
I wonder how they would like it?

olympia
09-15-2015, 10:46 AM
I would at least leave a coiler in the tree stand, maybe make a habit of leaving one there each time u pass by until they come back

howa1500
09-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Why not cut the stand down, and leave a coiler on top...

Bugle M In
09-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Why not cut the stand down, and leave a coiler on top...

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^lol.