PDA

View Full Version : Birthday wishes from mr bear

Elkchaser
09-06-2015, 09:43 AM
We just took possession of new home last Friday in the "greater Kimberley area" which happened to be my birthday. As always, I try and get some bow hunting in on my birthday. So after spending five hours doing some pre-flooring prep off I went to Settlers road to visit areas I hunted for 10 yrs, the last time being in 2008 when I drove down from NW BC. So, parked the truck at bottom of road and hiked up 3km and was all set up to call with my ranging done out to 40 yards by 6 pm. By 715 I had done my second set of mews and small bugles when some squirrel action had me excited - something seemed to be sneaking and was sounding about 80 yards out. I'm sitting on the ground using a limby birch for cover and have the bow and 12 ga side by side at arms reach. From experience I don't commit to either until I know what is needed. At 40 yards through thick brush I see the light brown fur that gets me more pumped, but no antlers. Still no weapon choice possible. Working its way through brush it stops at 30 yards and then I see the big round head and the half moon shape of an ear... Welcome back to the kootenays I told myself as the 12 ga went to my shoulder and the safety was released. So now what??? I was a small indescernible shape that I know he was trying to figure out. At that range if he decided to charge I had to be on him so that decided my choice to not move and keep gun on target. After two long minutes, maybe more, he started popping his jaws - good stuff, he was thinking I wasn't an elk otherwise would stay silent. He was feeling as uncomfortable as I was - a good old Mexican stand off! After a second round of jaw pops I decided I had to make a choice as I needed daylight to manage my way out. The road walk in was not an option, too close, steep ugly bushwack only choice. So, with a strong voice (not a scream) I less than politely told mr bear I didn't want to shoot him and that his next decision needed to be the right one. Still not standing, didn't provide a target. After a minute of this one sided chat he slithered away and I didn't see him again. Stayed there doing the 360 degree check for 10 minutes before getting out of there in the opposite direction from where bear had been. Spooky 45 minute really steep hike later back at truck. So take what you want from my little adventure, but I just hope that although the season has started off poorly with GB encounters, think bear a all the time and if the situation lets you try to reason out your actions. Sometimes things unfold real fast - I've been there and have had to pull the trigger, but it doesn't mean we always have too.

ursusbait
09-07-2015, 07:59 AM
I think there are going to be lots of stories like that this year. Lets hope they all end with bears and people walking away. Good job!

monasheemountainman
09-07-2015, 08:31 AM
That gets the ol' heart pumping eh! Nice work good play!

REMINGTON JIM
09-07-2015, 08:45 AM
A bit nerve racking for sure and Glad it turned out all OK for you ! :wink: RJ

Jagermeister
09-07-2015, 09:14 AM
If he was popping his jaws, he knew that you had a bowl movement.:oops:

rocksteady
09-08-2015, 05:39 PM
You are such a fuzzy faced wanker. .. scared of G bears... pfffffffft. ..