PDA

View Full Version : New to waterfowling - looking for advice

hbpaints
09-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Good Morning All,

My 14yr old son has decided he would like to try waterfowling this year. We have hunted together for a few years (Rabbits, Grouse, Deer, etc) but never gone after any waterfowl.

I bought my migratory game bird permit this year so I figure I will take him out, however, I have NO IDEA on exactly what to do....

We are located in Quesnel ( MU 5-13) and live near MU 7-8 as well (15 min drive) and we am looking for some advice as to where to start? We are thinking about hitting up some local marsh's and small lakes that we know of but are lacking knowledge in what gear we need to bring, proper shot size for ducks/geese, times of day, etc....

Anyone in the area that would be willing to educate and school some newbies?

At this point, we do not have a retriever dog either so all birds will be hand retrieved.

Basically looking for any tips and advice that can get us started and see if he likes it, then we go further from there...

Thanks in advance... Much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone this season !

Firstblood
09-06-2015, 10:04 AM
I do quite a bit of duck hunting around kamloops without decoys or calls, just jump shooting small bodies of water. If you have a canoe, paddle around small creeks and lakes, get right into the marsh areas and have a gun ready at the front. or if you're walking use waders and carry a big wading stick, or, fishing rod with treble hook on it and a small foam float to keep it form sinking and getting caught on the bottom. as for shells, a 20 gauge is a great gun to get started with, but 12 is great of course. any 2 3/4'' or 3''inch shells in number 2 or 4 shot. early in the season there will be more blue wing and green wing teal so I always use smaller shot in the early season, 4 usually, then 2s as the season goes on and the ducks get tougher. then I pull out the 10 gauge with 3 1/2'' number 2s to fill the freezer. sunrise and sunset are best because the birds are usually moving but if you jump shoot ducks you can hunt all day, I usually make a few rounds to lakes as I move around deer and chicken hunting.

SPEYMAN
09-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Drive around and find ponds or swamps that have ducks on them. Birds are usually active in the early morning or evening. Observe when and where the ducks come to the water. Put your self in a location that allows for an in range shot. A few decoys would be helpful. Make sure the water is shallow enough to use waders for retrieving the birds. A spinning rod with a heave lure can be used for water retrieves.

You can jump shoot the same waters if you observe where the birds usually fly off when disturbed. Position a gunner where the birds will be in range when they fly off.

One can often build a system and route that will take most of the day to complete. Leaving one for a "night flight" to end the day. The occasional deer, moose, grouse or other edibles may be harvested when doing the rounds.

mcmullmar
09-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Hunting waterfowl is a matter of scouting. Find where they are feeding, what time they are coming and going and get there and get set up before they arrive.
For gear to start, what have you been shooting the grouse with? Any shotgun will work, I use to shoot ducks with a single shot .410 when I was your sons age, so any shot gun will work to see if you are going to like it. I would go with 2 or 4 shot for ducks 2 and up for geese make sure it is not lead shot.
Jump shooting is fun, harder to do with 2 people, take turns who shoots for safety.
Have you thought of finding a field where the ducks and geese are feeding? With no retriever a field might be a better option. Make sure to get permission first.
I am passing through Quesnel on either Sunday or Monday of this week heading North for a duck hunt if you would like maybe we see if we can hook up and talk some more about it. With everything I know it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes :) I have to stop and see my in-laws in Quesnel and my dog will need a stretch by then. If you are interested PM me and we can chat some more

hbpaints
09-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Mcmullmar,

Just wondering if you got my PM ?
If not, text me at 250-255-7851

Thanks.

Rob

Hunting waterfowl is a matter of scouting. Find where they are feeding, what time they are coming and going and get there and get set up before they arrive.
For gear to start, what have you been shooting the grouse with? Any shotgun will work, I use to shoot ducks with a single shot .410 when I was your sons age, so any shot gun will work to see if you are going to like it. I would go with 2 or 4 shot for ducks 2 and up for geese make sure it is not lead shot.
Jump shooting is fun, harder to do with 2 people, take turns who shoots for safety.
Have you thought of finding a field where the ducks and geese are feeding? With no retriever a field might be a better option. Make sure to get permission first.
I am passing through Quesnel on either Sunday or Monday of this week heading North for a duck hunt if you would like maybe we see if we can hook up and talk some more about it. With everything I know it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes :) I have to stop and see my in-laws in Quesnel and my dog will need a stretch by then. If you are interested PM me and we can chat some more

mcmullmar
09-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Yes I did, just PM you back