PDA

View Full Version : Info on 14 x 16 wall tent

dhog
09-06-2015, 07:58 AM
I am trying to decide on a wall tent but would like some feed back I am looking at a 14 x 16 or a 16 x 20 Stuff like how many cots will fit, hard to find spots to set up, to heavy is bigger better ect
Any help will be appreciated

cdub
09-06-2015, 08:11 AM
We have had 4 cots with a woodstove in a 14x16. 3 is less crowded with gear. We always had a 10ft front overhang for the cook area so no table in the tent.

Dannybuoy
09-06-2015, 08:13 AM
I have the deluxe 14 x 16 , we set up 4 cots in the corners , a card table in the center , with the stove at the back center wall . works out great and there is room if you need to set up more beds

nature girl
09-06-2015, 08:17 AM
I stayed in a 14 x 16 with 2 guys and myself for 2 weeks and it was a good size for 3 people. It did not have a overhang but it would be better if it did. For storing extra gear and firewood outside.

chris26262
09-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Wall tents are great! Cold outside wood stove dry s everything out fast. Can stand up and get dressed with out and awkward ducking. Can't beat a wall tent if a cabin isn't an option. Size does come with pro s and con s. If you go big then yes finding level/leveller ground becomes harder. Weight... The canvas on its own isn't too bad..frames can be heavy if you don't get aluminum frame (totally the way to go) then that's allot of weight right there. If you ve got a big hunting camp or allot of guys then go bigger. But there are other options to smaller and a bigger camp too. Like adding a vestibule. But if you want to cook inside. Have a table to eat at/cards etc. space gets filled up fast. As far as cots go. You can fit 6-8 guys in a 14x16... But nothing else. Or 5 guys with room for wood stove and your own space (totes/bags) there is your standard size cot and then some monster size cots out there these days as well. The configuration of the tent as far as stove placemat is a factor to for how many guys can fit. I personally have lots of experience with the 14x16x5 wall tent. And our hunting camp I feel I standard for 5-6 guys. I wouldn't see us going bigger tent wise unless we had more guys coming. But then I would most likely just have a second wall tent than one big one. Less of a zoo in the morning when trying to get ready. Happy hunting!

ryanb
09-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Those bunk cots go a long way to making extra space in a wall tent.

I started with a14x16, went down to a12x14 and now I have a 10x12. I've had 4 guys sleeping in the 10x12 with a wood stove. It was unpleasant.

longwalk
09-07-2015, 06:00 AM
I use a 12 by 14. Got rid of the cots and went with bunks this year. Far more room inside the tent and a small weight savings too. The organizer that hangs off the end of the bunk will hold two peoples clothes easily.

frase
09-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Staey in a 14 x 16 many times and while ok putting it up and taking it down (and dry if wet) is not really fun. We usually all bring our own campers now.

southsider
09-07-2015, 07:45 AM
I have one for sale. Only used it ones......
if you are interested,please let me know.

BCBRAD
09-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Check these out , way easier to pack and assemble than a wall tent.
/www.reliabletent.com/products-page/specialty-tents/glacier-tent/
/www.reliabletent.com/products-page/specialty-tents/yellowstone-tent/

The Glacier is good for 5 people , the Yellowstone good for 3. Ideal for four and two though. After decades with various wall tents these are the way to go.

barry1974w
09-07-2015, 09:13 AM
I've got a 12x14, my buddy has a 16x20. I wish I would have gone bigger. But then again, I've only used mine based from truck and snowmobile camps so I've never had to pack it any distance. I'd definitely advise five foot walls and a good sized overhang.
Oh yeah, I'll also say that deluxe wall tents are great guys to deal with. I haven't dealt with any of the other site sponsors for wall tent stuff, but I'm sure they're great too��.....

dhog
09-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Thats what i like about this site lots of good feedback thanks to all