PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunt success...almost

plumberjustin
09-05-2015, 10:17 AM
While I've done a lot of small game hunting and managed to get a region 3 doe draw last year, I haven't really had the opportunity to locate and put a stalk on any big game animal so far in my hunting career. Yesterday was by far the most exhilarating day of hunting for me.

A buddy and I are out for a day trip, and find ourselves up the Coquihalla in search of hares. We did a huge loop from Brookemere, down Coalmont to Tulameen and back around to the highway again. We walked or drove pretty much every side trail and overgrown road that we came across. Total bust, not one rabbit to be seen, and worse yet...no bears. By lunchtime we're thinkin of pulling the pin and heading to Merritt for the rest of the day.

On the way out, we decide to head up Lawless and check out the area. Not more than a minute up the road, I see a huge black bear about 400 yards ahead, slowly heading down the ravine towards the creek. We stop the truck and I get the binos on him. He's huge!! Just chillin on a log in the sun, not really doing too much. Already I'm thinkin about how to make a play on this bear.

The stalk is on, wind in my face, I start crawling along the edge of the road to stay out of sight. Get to within 200yds of him, and the wind starts to swirl a bit, so I hold up to wait it out. I can see he's starting to wave his nose in the air, he knows something's up. Wind back in my face, I crawl to within 100yds of him, and get him in my sights. Suddenly, the wind starts to gust from behind me. Just as I'm steadying to squeeze the trigger, he catches my wind and bails down the hill. F**K!!!!! So close I could taste it, did everything right, but Mother Nature was just not on my side.

At this point I was flying high on adrenaline, and did not want to give up so easily. Doubled back down the road and made a slow descent down the steep ravine to the creek bed below. I could only catch a glimpse of the bear a couple times on my way down. He was a big, smart, mature boar and obviously wanted no part of my plan #2. Once at the bottom I could hear him crashing through the brush, away up the other side of the canyon. Game over. A big storm was rolling in fast, so we hiked back up to the truck and called it a day.

This is truly what the hunting experience is all about. No meat in the cooler, but a major success in my book. Hiking the wilderness while trying to outsmart an animal in their element, there's nothing more difficult or rewarding.

monasheemountainman
09-05-2015, 10:41 AM
shoulda shot him at 200 yards... oh well shite happens youll connect don't get too discouraged! I love big bears theyre so fun to hunt!

brig
09-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Sounds like the first time I put a stalk on a buck. Every experience like that helps you to become a better hunter. You'll just learn to be a little quicker on the trigger next time!

itsy bitsy xj
09-05-2015, 11:27 AM
When the time is right the universe will give you your bear

steel1000
09-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Those big ones don't often let you get close. They have survived on wits for that long. Good attempt though. Try the 200 yard shot next time ��

Mulehahn
09-05-2015, 11:40 AM
You are right, that is what hunting is all about. Having fun, pitting your skills against an animal's; it doesn't get any better. Cutting the tag just means the end of the fun part and the work beginning. And always take the shot your comfortable with. You didn't like the one from 200yds so you didn't, that is great. There will lots of animals.

plumberjustin
09-05-2015, 02:52 PM
It'll happen next time. Not that I couldn't take the 200yd shot, just rathered to test my stalking skills and try for a closer shot. Hindsight is always 20/20, I learn something new every time I go out.

M.Dean
09-05-2015, 03:01 PM
That's why it's called Hunting Justin! Just think how big that hog of a bears going to be the next time you put the stock on him! And as a side note, you might want to hit the "Edit" button and take a couple letters out of your "F***" ! Don't bother me, but I'm sure someone will complain.

IslandBC
09-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Live and learn . I had a similar expearience, driving down a road end of the day and there a TANK at the top of a cliff side, straight up vertical almost. I ranged hI'm also at 200. Trying to be "none invasive " looking to the bear by trying to get a good rest for a shot. Trying to shoot off hand straight up was to unstable to tried the truck door opened up. Way to wobbly, finally found a good rest. He could probably feel my reticle burning on his chest. (Front shot) slowly squeezing, he starts to move. I stop sqeezing hoping he will go broad side. Never saw him again. Better to not shoot a shot your not comfortable with.

kaptin
09-05-2015, 08:43 PM
I know the feeling. It's all about the learning. I've learned so much in the last 3 years that I've hunted by myself with my boys. I know it all seems to come together and its natural when you connect. You don't even think you just go by instinct and react. It will happen for you when you least expect it. Best of luck.

Sofa King
09-05-2015, 09:12 PM
it all adds to becoming experienced.
unsuccessful hunts are sometimes more exciting and fun than successful ones.
sounds like a good day to me.

itsy bitsy xj
09-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Last spring I let a descent size blackie walk because I wasn't totally comfortable with the shot or my chances of recovery. you gotta do what feels right