PDA

View Full Version : Gear List - what next?

ajr5406
09-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Kinda know the answer to this but interested to hear some more options that perhaps I haven't thought of.

I'm new to hunting and this will be my first season. Here's what I have so far (I know that it's enough to get started):
- rifle and scope (+ammo)
- binos
- knife
- old but ok hiking boots

What would you buy next?

Ozone
09-04-2015, 06:14 PM
compass and learn how to use it

Kermodie
09-04-2015, 06:26 PM
That's a pretty broad area for discussion. What is your idea of "hunting"? Will you be driving the roads in your truck, or out hiking the hills before first light and back to camp after dark?
Back pack, fanny pack
Pack frame
Spare knife
Flashlights, spare batteries
First aid supplies
Emergency supplies
Rope, cord
Extra boots
Compass (was already mentioned)

I consider these items basics

Daybreak
09-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I'd suggest the next thing you need is a backpack, whether it be a day pack, fanny pack or outback. There are lots of little things you should have in your possession when in the bush for comfort and safety. No use buying these things unless you have a practical means of dragging them along with you.

For a day pack I prefer one that has multiple compartments with secure closures. I put certain things in certain pockets and do not open them unless need be. Keys, licences, emergency money would be an example of something I want separate and secure. Less likely to lose stuff in the bush with a well organized pack.

kebes
09-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Toilet paper..... Never leave home without it!

shallowH2O
09-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Hunting licence and tags

digger dogger
09-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Raingear, headlamp, gps.

E.V.B.H.
09-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Next item would a pack, and then at least the most basic survival supplies. Fire, shelter, water

M.Dean
09-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Well, if I took a picture of everything I have packed into the rear box and front rack of my quad, you'd quit hunting! Do I need it all, who knows, but that's what I feel comfortable with to keep me alive if I get screwed up some how. I know when I could hike, in my pack I kept a small pot with a lid, about a quart I think. And in that pot I crammed a couple soup mix's, instant oatmeal, tiny thing of salt and pepper, so if I had to eat skunk or some other critter to stay alive, it'd taste half decent! Couple Granola bars, things like that, you never know when you may need to stop, light a fire and get your shi* together cuz your so lost the wolves couldn't find you! Now a days there tons of new products you can get to make the "Lost Life" more like a walk in the park. Fire starter, two or three "New" Bic lighters, and if you hunt lots in the evenings, a dam good flashlight! I still wear a camo hunting hat with 4 little LED lights in the brim for the evening hunt, and believe me, you can gut a deer or moose in the darkest night using just that light! Lots of guys on here are extreme Sheep and Goat hunters, and they know all about weight when it go's on there back for 8 or 10 day hikes, maybe try to "Search" Back packs or Day pack contents, it might give you some helpful hints too. And good luck out there!

REMINGTON JIM
09-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Kinda know the answer to this but interested to hear some more options that perhaps I haven't thought of.

I'm new to hunting and this will be my first season. Here's what I have so far (I know that it's enough to get started):
- rifle and scope (+ammo)
- binos
- knife
- old but ok hiking boots

What would you buy next?

Totally depends on what type of hunting you will be doing ! Give us a Hunting Scenario and we can GEAR you up real Quick ! We can SPENT your money real Fast ! ;-) RJ

noth615
09-04-2015, 10:38 PM
some quality technical hunting clothing, rain gear, insulation puffy maybe?

http://store.kuiu.com/teton-s/1876.htm

Z71
09-04-2015, 11:04 PM
A good silent gore-tex jacket goes a long way in keeping you comfortable/warm/dry when the weather gets nasty...can use the inner and outer pockets to carry essentials (trail mix, jerky, licence(s),and the rest carry on your belt (knife, led flashlight (fenix, pelican), extra cartridges)...makes it easy to grab and go if you need to get out of the truck fast ;-) or just want to do a walk-about through some timber a short ways.

Murder
09-04-2015, 11:16 PM
I always like to have some latex gloves for dealing with dead stuff, a heavy duty contractor grade garbage bag (lots of uses). Always have extra grub, water and a life straw. 550 cord, lights(batteries in backwards so no accidental power ons) extra batteries, Knife sharpener, compass and paper map, flagging tape.

Most of that stuff is pretty cheap. I'm a bit of a gear junkie so I have much more, but that is all good affordable stuff to have imo. Oh and shit ticket unless you like wiping your ass with snow etc

ajr5406
09-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Totally depends on what type of hunting you will be doing ! Give us a Hunting Scenario and we can GEAR you up real Quick ! We can SPENT your money real Fast ! ;-) RJ

Ha ha. Thanks.

At this stage it will mostly be day trips - drive into the woods and then spend the day hiking etc. I have a camping trailer and tents etc so for overnight or weekend trips I'm set with gear.

I do have a pack (75L backpacking pack that I could use for hunting). I also have first aid gear as well as other basics like rope, surgical gloves, headlamp, backup flashlight and rain gear.

For needs, I was thinking along the lines of:
- camo clothing (jacket and pants)
- range finder
- binos harness
- upgrade to better hunting boots

Always fun to think about gear I could buy, but on a budget, what do I actually NEED?

Thanks guys

betteroffishing
09-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Upgrade to better boots for the win.

RackStar
09-05-2015, 07:17 AM
get yourself some helly Hansen impertech rain gear, best stuff, I work construction and wear this stuff all winter, I will never go back to thick ruber.
if you can afford it buy kuiu rain gear, I broke the bank and bought some last year, best investment ever... spent 10 days in the pouring rain.. never got wet once.
rain gear is very important, it will keep you in the field longer and happier. after you have rain gear... buy a compass and if you can afford a gps. after that buy yourself a stanfeilds wool sweater, some good wool socks, and a pair of surplus wool pants for 60 bucks. one last bit of advice, buy the best... you get what you pay for, and youl end up wanting the good sh*t in the end anyways... happy trails

rackstar

Daybreak
09-05-2015, 06:09 PM
get yourself some helly Hansen impertech rain gear, best stuff, I work construction and wear this stuff all winter, I will never go back to thick ruber.
if you can afford it buy kuiu rain gear, I broke the bank and bought some last year, best investment ever... spent 10 days in the pouring rain.. never got wet once.
rain gear is very important, it will keep you in the field longer and happier. after you have rain gear... buy a compass and if you can afford a gps. after that buy yourself a stanfeilds wool sweater, some good wool socks, and a pair of surplus wool pants for 60 bucks. one last bit of advice, buy the best... you get what you pay for, and youl end up wanting the good sh*t in the end anyways... happy trails

rackstar

All good advice there, particularly about buying quality.

REMINGTON JIM
09-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Ha ha. Thanks.

At this stage it will mostly be day trips - drive into the woods and then spend the day hiking etc. I have a camping trailer and tents etc so for overnight or weekend trips I'm set with gear.

I do have a pack (75L backpacking pack that I could use for hunting). I also have first aid gear as well as other basics like rope, surgical gloves, headlamp, backup flashlight and rain gear.

- range finder
- binos harness

Always fun to think about gear I could buy, but on a budget, what do I actually NEED?

Thanks guys

Hey You already got it figured out - just get out there and do it - times a wasting ! :smile: RJ

Salty
09-05-2015, 08:48 PM
- range finder
- binos harness

Thanks guys

camo clothing is nice quiet clothing is all but a must. Wool and fleece work great just something that doesn't make much sound when you rub up against branches.

rangefinders are great but not needed unless you're shooting over 250 yards or so, course you have to be pretty good at judging where 250 or so is.

I want a bino harness too but I've gotten by with binocs swinging around this long so..

comfortable boots are pretty much a must too. Your call weather your old faithfulls have another year in 'em.

Just some thoughts that might help. You're starting from a pretty blank slate so the next thing you need the most is kind of a tough call actually. Just make sure if you get lost you can survive a night in the bush and you have your rifle ammo and a sharp knife and go from there ;)

ajr5406
09-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Any recommendations on some reasonably priced camo? Seems like with most things hunting you get what you pay for, but looking for something not too expensive.

All great tips - thanks!!!
QUOTE=Salty;1678792]camo clothing is nice quiet clothing is all but a must. Wool and fleece work great just something that doesn't make much sound when you rub up against branches.

rangefinders are great but not needed unless you're shooting over 250 yards or so, course you have to be pretty good at judging where 250 or so is.

I want a bino harness too but I've gotten by with binocs swinging around this long so..

comfortable boots are pretty much a must too. Your call weather your old faithfulls have another year in 'em.

Just some thoughts that might help. You're starting from a pretty blank slate so the next thing you need the most is kind of a tough call actually. Just make sure if you get lost you can survive a night in the bush and you have your rifle ammo and a sharp knife and go from there ;)[/QUOTE]

Sofa King
09-05-2015, 08:59 PM
bought my first bino harness this summer.
always wanted one but also always just never got around to it.
soooooooooooooooo comfortable, should have gotten one years ago.
I especially needed one as I also have my camera always dangling around my neck.

Salty
09-05-2015, 09:04 PM
I hear ya ajr actually I've been hunting quite a while and still can't bring myself to spend for top of the line cammo. I've actually only got one set of cammo pants Cabellas dry plus ~$100 I got them for half price and a Rivers West waterproof cammo bomber jacket ~$300 for it for less than 200. Oh ya and a cheap cammo vest worth about 50. I started and still wear a lot of old school wool pants and various wool and fleece shirts and jackets which you can find at the work wear type stores. The big box stores have cheap cammo too.. Crappy Tire, Wally World etc. Other than that sky's the limit and there is some tremendous stuff out there. Whatever clothing interests you run your fingernail over it for a noise test loud scratchy swishy noices like gortex would make is a no no and will hamper you a lot .

edit- forgot another way to go if you've already got good gortex type gear use it and wear a cheap cammo fleece jacket over it, nice and dry and comfortable and... quiet

Sofa King
09-05-2015, 09:08 PM
probably most important for something you wear, is boots.
if your feet aren't comfortable, the rest is a moot point.
camo isn't needed at all, it's a luxury item.
there's lots of ways to stay warm and dry, but your kicks carry everything everywhere.

RackStar
09-05-2015, 09:08 PM
bought my first bino harness this summer.
always wanted one but also always just never got around to it.
soooooooooooooooo comfortable, should have gotten one years ago.
I especially needed one as I also have my camera always dangling around my neck.
x2... such a nice feeling compared to having them dangle around on your neck

Salty
09-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Of course there's always the Pt Hardy dinner jacket

http://www.davidmorgan.com/images/1315_detail.jpg

I've shot more deer wearing stanfields for an outer layer than wearing cammo actually

Sofa King
09-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Of course there's always the Pt Hardy dinner jacket

http://www.davidmorgan.com/images/1315_detail.jpg

I've shot more deer wearing stanfields for an outer layer than wearing cammo actually

hahaha.
is there any of us on here who DON'T have that dress shirt.
mine's been wearing out for years, but it's still going strong.

Salty
09-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Yep. lol. Mine is stretched, faded chew holes from the dogs but its like an old friend can't throw it away. Lives in my truck during hunting season quick hunt after work just pull the old stanfields over my street clothes. Good to go.

Sofa King
09-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Yep. lol. Mine is stretched, faded chew holes from the dogs but its like an old friend can't throw it away. Lives in my truck during hunting season quick hunt after work just pull the old stanfields over my street clothes. Good to go.

agree completely.
I swear, most versatile shirt and most comfy and warm.
truly a must have for every hunter.

ajr5406
09-05-2015, 09:44 PM
All great tips, thanks for sharing. This feels like fly fishing. When I first got into fly fishing I was like "I'll buy a rod and reel and will be good to go". Now, years later I could probably outfit a football team with fly fishing gear, most of which is a "nice to have" but not necessarily essential.

Totally agree on boots, that's pretty much a deal breaker - bad footwear for anything physical means everything else sucks.

Sofa King
09-05-2015, 09:48 PM
just never forget cold beer for back at camp after those long days of hunting.

ajr5406
09-05-2015, 09:49 PM
just never forget cold beer for back at camp after those long days of hunting.

Thats a given ☺

HarryToolips
09-05-2015, 09:53 PM
compass and learn how to use it
Yup...and a map..

srupp
09-05-2015, 10:47 PM
Hmm no difference in hiking in or driving imo..one wrong turn...what would you need for 4 days survival ? Knowledge. .fire, rain proofing, warmth, water. .

Best tip i can give..find someone who has hunted for a decade..get an invite..no that wont be easy..but doable. .look..listen..learn..ask question's. .
I take out a new hunter every year..would like to think they all learned something..it speeds up the learning curve..
Best question is why....why are the tracks there..why headed in that direction..why in that location..talk out loud answering those why questions..you probably know more than you give yourself credit..
Keep at it..success is the next stop after your last failure...
This site is a exellent resource..
Cheers
Steven

ajr5406
09-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Hmm no difference in hiking in or driving imo..one wrong turn...what would yo easy..but doable. .look..listen..learn..ask question's. .
I take out a new hunter every year..would like to think they all learned something..it speeds up the learning curve..
Steven

Yep! This would be awesome. Would love to spend a day in the woods with someone experienced and learn as much as I can.

nature girl
09-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Shooting stick or a good walking stick and invest in good boots.

digger dogger
09-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Shooting stick or a good walking stick and invest in good boots.
I had good luck with asolo boots. "Had" (2 pairs soles came apart, 1st pair lasted 8 seasons)
I just bought a pair of scarpa boots, the word is "they are an awesome boot"
A few dozen k's will tell the tail.
Hoping these boots last longer than 3 seasons.

HeadingOutside
09-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Great topic arj5406 and great responses everyone. I really enjoyed reading through the suggestions.
I'll add, and this depends on where you're hunting, that a car battery booster can be a butt saver. You'd be surprised with how fast you're "good battery" in the car turns to poop when the temperature dips on a mountain side.

ajr5406
09-07-2015, 06:46 AM
All great and interesting tips! I appreciate the insight and learn something new everyday on HBC.

Wentrot
09-07-2015, 06:49 AM
We see eye to eye!:shock:

Time to discard the old boots & get the best & keep them in top shape. Last thing you need when far away is a twisted/broken ankle or the boot falling apart. Look for boots that are comfortable, insulated, good grip , good quality leather & made in NA or Europe if possible.

Hunting in general(I want to be seen by other hunters- PERIOD - & all the animals we hunt don’t see red or orange.)
-A lined red plaid shirt preferably made out of wool.
-A red wool shirt
-An orange all wool vest
-A red cap
-An orange down jacket
If you are a turkey, duck, geese or bear hunter then you could consider camo. I still think it’s just a fashion gimmick.

I avoid bright colors. To many bozos will gladly shoot at that bright orange target in the bush.

Fred1
09-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Ok... hunter orange is ghey... Makes you look like the Kool Aid guy - come on! Zero on the cool factor!! Get some camo, some solid earth tones and dress like a man not a comic book character. AND chicks do not dig bight orange!

Salty
09-07-2015, 03:07 PM
If I hunted in heavily populated areas amongst a mazes of fences and private land with 20 hunters per square km looking for that once in a life time tree stand 4 point I'd probably wear blaze orange too. But I don't I live in BC.

406elcamino
09-07-2015, 03:47 PM
First year i was in an area that had a small group enter road hunting and they were ready to jump at anything i was walking a road and they came up behind me and jumped out guns ready.... after that i used surveyors tape and wrapped my arms.

This will be my 4th year officially hunting and from the short time what i have learned is get the best boots you can afford. I had gone to gone fishing the 1st year and bought "gortex" boots and they leaked worse then anything i have ever owned. Last year i went and bought Elk Trackers and it was night/day.

as far as pants and jacket go for the island i have badlands pants and a sitka downpour jacket and thats good enough they are light weight and water proof .

Pretty well anything i bought the first year i have begun to replace so its best to buy it once...

David
09-09-2015, 09:42 AM
This is of course, personal opinion...

Get a daypack and outfit it similar to you would for hiking: food, water, heat, light, TP, flagging tape, etc. All I'd add to the hiking essentials are more rope, extra knives, and more ways to clean your hands. Always have a towel in the truck.

Quiet clothing is >>>> than camo clothing. Durable clothing is >>>>> than quiet. If you're on a budget surf for motocross/motorcycle jackets/equipment from the previous year. Nothing in the hunting/outdoor world is as tough and as waterproof/windproof as that kevlar riding gear - you will be wearing gay colours and it can be noisy.

IMO the next step for you is good layering. Shop sales. Stay away from MEC - not because of their hunting stance but because their stuff almost never goes on sale and you always sacrifice something (e.g. their rainpants - two high end models, one with pockets but no belt loops, one with belt loops but no pockets).

Eddie Bauer's "First Ascent" brand has some good stuff (not all of it, but most of it) and it often goes on sale for 40% off. Same with the Icebreaker brand for merino wool. Arcteryx is good gear (maybe the best) but expensive and never goes on sale - even their outlet stores maxes at 20% off. Of the "known outdoor names" like North Face, Marmot, etc. I find Helly Hansen to be the best quality.

IMO "pure hunting clothing" like Sitka, Browning, etc. is a rip-off: you pay a 50% price premium because it's camo.

David