PDA

View Full Version : Deer camp weather info

HeadingOutside
09-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Hey guys,

I spent the last weekend doing some scouting for the coming season. Sitting in the tent, couldn't sleep and was thinking about how it might be interesting to have a "weather station" in camp. Besides temperature (which practically all our trucks do anyhow), barometric pressure would be kind of cool. Dropping pressure could warn you of impending weather systems and I have heard some talk about guys hunting the pressure to increase deer sightings. Does anyone have any experience or opinions with this sort of thing or is my late night musing just a result of too many brews?

Thanks guys
Dev

wideopenthrottle
09-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Hey guys,

I spent the last weekend doing some scouting for the coming season. Sitting in the tent, couldn't sleep and was thinking about how it might be interesting to have a "weather station" in camp. Besides temperature (which practically all our trucks do anyhow), barometric pressure would be kind of cool. Dropping pressure could warn you of impending weather systems and I have heard some talk about guys hunting the pressure to increase deer sightings. Does anyone have any experience or opinions with this sort of thing or is my late night musing just a result of too many brews?

Thanks guys
Dev

would you mount it near the satellite dish or attach it to the temporary cell tower you brought....I would sleep that idea off but I am a minimalist...heheheh

brian
09-04-2015, 07:46 AM
You could invest in a hand held weather radio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatheradio_Canada). That would be better than any weather station you could set up in camp. I don't know what kind of signal coverage the Canadian system has though.

M.Dean
09-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Well Dev, might be a tad easier for ya to just e-mail Mark Madryga from the Weather Office and see if he'd like to go hunt'in with ya??? Be a lot less wires to hook up, and I doubt he run's on Battery's! And good Luck out there!

howa1500
09-04-2015, 11:23 AM
I have a hand held kestrel that I use, can be handy for extended times in the alpine