PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Lake

kootenayelkslayer
04-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Have any of you Kootenay guys or girls been up to Duncan Lake recently? I was just wondering how much snow there is.
P.s. I feel sorry for anyone who has a LEH grizz tag for Duncan Lake after the Ministry trapped and killed those two HUGE boars.

boxhitch
04-29-2007, 06:04 PM
What's the story behind the trapping ? Myth ?

kootenayelkslayer
04-29-2007, 07:01 PM
What's the story behind the trapping ? Myth ?

There was a grizz eating

mcrae
04-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Still lots of snow in the higher elevations yet...

Its usually mid/late May before I even try to get in the backend up there.

I have heard a couple diffrent versions of the grizz story as well so I am not to sure what actually happend lots of local "lore" about it though.

boxhitch
04-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Should have been relocated up to the Fergusson area. Lots of room there.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Should have been relocated up to the Fergusson area. Lots of room there.

Sure there's lots of room but it's only a day's hike back to the Duncan for a determined grizz. Once those big guys get a taste of bacon, they're hooked!!:twisted:

SSS

one-shot-wonder
04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
P.s. I feel sorry for anyone who has a LEH grizz tag for Duncan Lake after the Ministry trapped and killed those two HUGE boars.

I don't believe everything I hear, with that being said, I just hope there are a few other boars hanging around. All this snow shoudl make for a great bear season. Lots of fresh slides hopefully have slipped.

I will be heading into there later this month to chase bars, a grizzer more specifically with a buddy of mine. If anyone has some info on the snow situation /road access, a PM would be great!:)

Lots of snow or not a G-bear has to go down.....we'll just have to work that much harder, if the slides are restricting access.

kootenayelkslayer
04-30-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't believe everything I hear, with that being said, I just hope there are a few other boars hanging around. All this snow shoudl make for a great bear season. Lots of fresh slides hopefully have slipped.

I will be heading into there later this month to chase bars, a grizzer more specifically with a buddy of mine. If anyone has some info on the snow situation /road access, a PM would be great!:)

Lots of snow or not a G-bear has to go down.....we'll just have to work that much harder, if the slides are restricting access.

I'll be heading up there within the next week or two (not for grizzlies), I'll let you know how things look up there.

kootenayelkslayer
04-30-2007, 11:04 PM

I'll be heading up there within the next week or two (not for grizzlies), I'll let you know how things look up there.

one-shot-wonder
04-30-2007, 11:12 PM

Sounds good, take pics too and let us know how it looks up there!

Jagermeister
04-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Here's the thread that will give you the real story about those "huge boars"!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11887
Probably a couple of litter mates.
I worked on the construction of the dam. Seems to me that with normal warm spring weather, the snow leaves much like any other place in the Kootenays. There may be some snow at lower elevations toward Trout Lake. Now, if we're talking Mica Dam, there could be snow on the ground around the "townsite" well into May or early June.

hunter1947
05-01-2007, 04:07 AM
This goverment in BC sucks big time ,YA JUST KEEP PUTTING THE GAS PRICES UP*** ,go spend it on other things that don't mean a darn thing. :mad: hunter47.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-01-2007, 05:50 AM

Strap on your BarfBag and jump in the gas powered spotter and take a looksee for yourself. Just make sure you do a flyby into our zone on the way home:wink:.
Better get that knee in shape!

SSS

calvin L
05-01-2007, 07:09 AM
ONE SHOT it is not B/S one of the boars as 8'3 nose to tail on the animal and over 650 lbs . The other bear was close to 7' and over 500 lbs both tanks for the area. From what I under stand the farmer has had problems with bears for so time know . And has dumped bears before doing the same thing . The C/O's have had there hand tied with lack of funding so it is cheeper to kill than move . And it keep it on the down low from the bleeding hearts . I would have loved to see tham moved to BIG WHITE or SILVER STAR . They would bring in a lot of visitors 8)

calvin L

Fisher-Dude
05-01-2007, 08:00 AM
This goverment in BC sucks big time ,YA JUST KEEP PUTTING THE GAS PRICES UP*** ,go spend it on other things that don't mean a darn thing. :mad: hunter47.

And the other party in BC will BAN grizzly hunting altogether like they did before. I'll go with the guys who want us to go hunting, not the ones who want to shut it down, thank you very much!

By the way, the BC government has dick all to do with oil prices driven by OPEC and the middle east, and by gasoline prices which are determined by refinery capacity and storage levels on the US east coast. If you guys want to "blame" anyone for the current fuel costs, direct your anger to the right places by becoming informed about how the oil and gasoline markets work.

one-shot-wonder
05-01-2007, 08:43 AM

Where did that come from.....isn't there a thread on in the open chat room for bitching about gas prices?
Well said F/D!
Anyways back to the bears....

Calvin,
Good to know there are some big boys hanging out in that country, they might be missing a few now but there will be others hanging around I am sure, hopefully my buddy doesn't get "stage fright" and he'll connect on a big one.

SSS,
Got the mountian bike back from the shop last week, all tuned up and ready to go. Who said you need your knee ligaments anyways! :wink:

kootenayelkslayer
05-01-2007, 11:29 AM
ONE SHOT it is not B/S one of the boars as 8'3 nose to tail on the animal and over 650 lbs . The other bear was close to 7' and over 500 lbs both tanks for the area. From what I under stand the farmer has had problems with bears for so time know . And has dumped bears before doing the same thing . The C/O's have had there hand tied with lack of funding so it is cheeper to kill than move . And it keep it on the down low from the bleeding hearts . I would have loved to see tham moved to BIG WHITE or SILVER STAR . They would bring in a lot of visitors 8)

calvin L

Yaa this is what I heard also. I went in to the Ministry office and it was the Chief CO (Stent) who told me about this story. He also said that they simply don't relocate boars. The only bears that they move are youngers sows.
I hope to be making another trip down to the office to see some pictures later this week.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Maybe this guy turned "Rogue" and started to terrorize the West Koots:roll: !
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/clip_image002.jpg

35 Whelen posted this pic on HS a couple of years ago.

Hoping find one(or three:roll: ) just like him this year.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
So does anyone know where exactly this new mine is located near Trout Lake?? I hear it's employing damn near half of Nakusp!!

SSS

Spitzer
05-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I heard the bears got into the chicken coups somewhere along the Lardeau.

Spitzer
05-01-2007, 05:57 PM
So does anyone know where exactly this new mine is located near Trout Lake?? I hear it's employing damn near half of Nakusp!!

SSS

It's on Trout Mountain, right across from the townsite. There's a gate on the road.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Someone at work told me today that the mine is Northwest of the town of Trout Lake. His buddy works there. Sounds like this mine is too busy to have a gated road. Apparently it's getting really big already.

Same mine???

SSS

wildman 22
05-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I heard you can reach kilometer 41 of the duncan lake road.Has anybody been up there that could verify if thats true?

Spitzer
05-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Someone at work told me today that the mine is Northwest of the town of Trout Lake. His buddy works there. Sounds like this mine is too busy to have a gated road. Apparently it's getting really big already.

Same mine???

SSS

It's a Molybdenum, Tungsten, Lead, Zinc, Copper mine that started back up. It's located southwest of town and it's on a private gated road which blocks access to the whole mountainside.

7mmag
05-03-2007, 02:30 AM
It's a Molybdenum, Tungsten, Lead, Zinc, Copper mine that started back up. It's located southwest of town and it's on a private gated road which blocks access to the whole mountainside.

I don't think it's re-started I think it's a reclamation project. It shouldn't last more then a year or two.