PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Region 7b

cam.couture27
09-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Looking for some advice for where there could be opportunity for elk, and moose in the Peace region during the end of September into early October. My buddy and I are just coming to the age now where we can do this ourselves, granted we're 19, and don't want to head up from Kamloops all the way up there blindly. We are thinking fort st john - Chetwynd area, however are not set in stone about anything yet. We are going up just hoping to at least have some opportunity, so any suggestions, or people to potentially get in contact with would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cam

Boner
09-03-2015, 06:20 PM
First hunt in the Peace Region should be done with a guide outfitter for an almost sure thing. A sure thing would be a butcher shop.

Cheers

Salty
09-03-2015, 06:28 PM
I hunted up there for the first time this year around Hudson's Hope, very busy with gas wells and pipelines like crazy busy quite a site. After a few days we found areas that weren't like a war zone.. lol. and saw lots of moose sign however we came up empty. Quite a few hunters too. Pink mountain and Wonowon are other popular areas I believe they're pretty busy with oil and gas work too. Pick a spot and go for it I say, if nothing else you'll see some fantastic country and learn more for next time.

Sitkaspruce
09-03-2015, 08:26 PM
I hunted up there for the first time this year around Hudson's Hope, very busy with gas wells and pipelines like crazy busy quite a site. After a few days we found areas that weren't like a war zone.. lol. and saw lots of moose sign however we came up empty. Quite a few hunters too. Pink mountain and Wonowon are other popular areas I believe they're pretty busy with oil and gas work too. Pick a spot and go for it I say, if nothing else you'll see some fantastic country and learn more for next time.

And you didn't give me a call??.......I had one all tied up for someone who wanted to deal with a bloody moose in the heat.......

Lots of country up here, pick up a back roads NE BC book, pick a spot and start to learn it. Pink Mt, Buckinghorse, Kobes, Halfway, Pine R, Moberly R and Wonowon just to name a few all have animals, especially if you get off the road and are willing to work for it. Hunting is all about exploring, learning and the odd time getting lucky....with an animal.

Good luck on your hunt

Cheers

SS

Salty
09-03-2015, 08:43 PM
And you didn't give me a call??.......I had one all tied up for someone who wanted to deal with a bloody moose in the heat.......

Dude I had it in my mind we were going to be a long way south of you. As it turned out not really should have looked you up and driven up for a BS anyway. Next time for sure.

Cam for sure get the map book that Sitkaspruce talks about its pretty much right up to date although the scale is a little tough to pick out the detail it shows the roads. Whatever town you're near go into the tourist information centre they will have some maps by logging or oil and gas companies of the area you're in they're all hunter friendly and down with helping you out.

Ferenc
09-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Forestry office is also helpful with maps

Swamp mule
09-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Corlanes had the land status maps running about $40/map. Forestry will not have any maps to give out to the public. There are a few that can help you in the office but it is best that you do your homework ahead of time.

BRvalley
09-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Corlanes used to sell the mcelhaney mapbook that covers the peace region, 2012 surveys, cost 125, one of the best things I've purchased up here, be worth calling them to see if they still sell it

dhog
09-06-2015, 07:50 AM
The peace is a great area to hunt, lots of game they may not all be open but you can see a dozen + animals in a day stay near a water source everything needs to drink The mopery river around Del Rio, Stewart lake area, There was a list of Property owners you could get from the ministry that would allow you to hunt their property good luck and enjoy yourself its all about the hunt

badgreenbird
09-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Lots of Crown land around to try... I can't speak for north of the river, but in the south Peace you can try Del Rio, North Monias, Septimus (north of Stewart Lk), between Chetwynd & Tumbler, & Tumbler & DC. Beware the grazing reserve restrictions. A map book is helpful, but so too is Google earth & Apple maps, etc. Lots of new roads not shown in the map books, and lots of the mapped roads aren't real. Good luck!

Hunterdev91
08-16-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm in region 7b for work and wanted to take advantage of the open season for Bull Moose from August 15-31 or 23-31 depending on the area. Can any of you tell me some areas to go around Dawson Creek or Chetwynd??? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Boner
08-16-2016, 03:17 PM
The moose don't tell us where they are. Try any logging or mine road. Most of the fun part of hunting is looking for them.

The backroad map book is a great resource for any hunting area, including 7B.

takla1
08-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Moose and elk all over that area but you have to get into area's that don't see pressure.Its important to be in good country earlier in sept for bull elk and bull moose will generally start to rut between the 15th and 20th of sept especially the northern parts of that region.For many consecutive yrs we always shot our bull moose around the 18-20th of sept like clockwork,thats generally when you get your first good frosts in the morning..

Frango
08-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Looking for some advice for where there could be opportunity for elk, and moose in the Peace region during the end of September into early October. My buddy and I are just coming to the age now where we can do this ourselves, granted we're 19, and don't want to head up from Kamloops all the way up there blindly. We are thinking fort st john - Chetwynd area, however are not set in stone about anything yet. We are going up just hoping to at least have some opportunity, so any suggestions, or people to potentially get in contact with would be greatly appreciated.

CamGo and get yourself a back road maps book.Study it and study it some more then go and get the animal of your choice..Its just that easy??? Almost.

takla1
08-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Getting in behind chetwynd and rideing into remote areas along the railway tracks will get you into some fantastic country.Just turn up any cut line and set up camp and hunt from there...you will not have any competition

takla

moosinaround
08-16-2016, 07:58 PM
Getting in behind chetwynd and rideing into remote areas along the railway tracks will get you into some fantastic country.Just turn up any cut line and set up camp and hunt from there...you will not have any competition

takla

need a sarcasm button mr, no competition, it's a fracking gong show!!! Moosin

Boner
08-16-2016, 08:19 PM
need a sarcasm button mr, no competition, it's a fracking gong show!!! Moosin

You mean everyone's little secret place with the Spanish name.

Hunterdev91
08-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it, I've never hunted around here before so I have no idea about areas. I'll go get myself a map book though and go from there. Thanks alot

ElliotMoose
08-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Bit of a jaunt in but if you get into the halfway river country there is some pretty spectacular views and the hunting was usually decent