PDA

View Full Version : Steve Rinella's new book

Tommybuckles
09-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had a glance at Steve Rinella's new book, "Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game". I was thinking of ordering it off eBay but would like a review or two before I do so.

Thanks.

Wentrot
09-03-2015, 05:28 PM
I read it. Really enjoyed it

one-shot-wonder
09-03-2015, 05:39 PM
I enjoyed 'Meat eater'.... curious on his latest as well.

ajr5406
09-03-2015, 05:44 PM
I heard Randy Newbergs review of it and it was very positive. I'm going to order it for sure. The other thing you could do is sign up for the pre release through your local library and read it before you decide to buy.

Pangaea
09-03-2015, 06:06 PM
I preordered it and was blown away when it arrived a week ago... Certainly the best general hunting book I've read. His core hunting values come through on every page. Good photos and illustrations as well.

Doe.Deer
09-03-2015, 06:17 PM
I preordered it and was blown away when it arrived a week ago... Certainly the best general hunting book I've read. His core hunting values come through on every page. Good photos and illustrations as well.

I read it, and ordering the next one

urban_coyote
09-03-2015, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty impressed with it as well, and have found it very informative.

j

RackStar
09-03-2015, 06:25 PM
I enjoy his show, I will be buying this book. He seems like a solid guy

two-feet
09-03-2015, 06:28 PM
If there is a guy that better represents the thoughts and views of this generation of sportsmen, I have not heard of him. Love his shows, cooking specials, podcasts, etc etc.

If you have not listened to him on the Joe Rogan Experience, check it out. Episode #176 is his first on there

ajr5406
09-03-2015, 06:35 PM
His other books are also great. Just finished American Buffalo and have ordered a couple more. He has a master's degree in literature and is a great writer.

Sylus
09-03-2015, 07:11 PM
I'll pile on here. Read bought and read The Complete Guidebook, I recommend it 100%. I have also read American Buffalo and Meateater penned by Rinella, recommend those as well. As others have mentioned, his writing is top notch.

Faw
09-23-2015, 08:51 AM
I got it and couldn't put it down for 3 hours lol. Awesome book, awesome guy!

skibum
09-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Really good book -

Anyone catch the Whitetail Dear heading? (might of been Mule Dear) ha ha

Stainless
09-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Read his Meat Eater book. Good read. Gave the podcast a try, abysmal... Sure the content was meh, but when he started plugging ads on how to better diversify your financial portfolio or that I can get a picture engraved into a crystal so he can "fund" the podcast, made me lose interest.

Sylus
09-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Read his Meat Eater book. Good read. Gave the podcast a try, abysmal... Sure the content was meh, but when he started plugging ads on how to better diversify your financial portfolio or that I can get a picture engraved into a crystal so he can "fund" the podcast, made me lose interest.

The podcast has to be made financially viable somehow. Was Breaking Bad a bad show because there was commercials?

Stainless
09-23-2015, 12:35 PM
The podcast has to be made financially viable somehow. Was Breaking Bad a bad show because there was commercials?

It's a podcast........ His words were, "to keep the podcast going". You don't need much. Microphones, computer, sound editing software. It can be just as financially viable if he plugs, hmm I don't know, hunting gear. Not financial advice or picture frames. If this forum started posting advertisements for female tampons and how you can "meet hot women that are 2 kilometers away" I don't think people would enjoy the site as much anymore.

Btw. The Breaking Bad example, apples and oranges. No need to get so butthurt.

Sylus
09-23-2015, 12:47 PM
No need to get so butthurt.

I'm not 'butthurt', I just disagree. From the sounds of things you got 'butthurt' over adds about financial advice and picture frames.

Stainless
09-23-2015, 01:38 PM
^
http://oi59.tinypic.com/28cgg01.jpg

westcoastal
09-23-2015, 01:39 PM
I have been reading his books for a couple years, he has also written a number of magazine articles - well worth the time. This last book is very well done. He seems like a decent guy, it would be enjoyable to hang with him. He is living in the Seattle area now.

skibum
09-23-2015, 01:49 PM
the podcasts with Rogan are pretty good.

Hear the one where he describes some idiot crapping right behind their layout blinds while bird hunting. Bad enough. Then the lab appears with t-p in his mouth and being a lab.... is running up and down the line of blinds trying to lick everyone.

HeadingOutside
09-23-2015, 01:54 PM
As a person who listens to podcasts A LOT, I will agree that their ads can be ridiculous. Trying to convey that there is somehow a significant cost to releasing a podcast is disingenuous, especially for a podcast like Rinellas. Now, if you are on iOS, tell Siri "Skip Ahead 2 mins" and poof, problem solved.
On topic, I have "The Complete Guide..." Arriving today !

ducktoller
09-23-2015, 02:38 PM
As a person who listens to podcasts A LOT, I will agree that their ads can be ridiculous. Trying to convey that there is somehow a significant cost to releasing a podcast is disingenuous, especially for a podcast like Rinellas. Now, if you are on iOS, tell Siri "Skip Ahead 2 mins" and poof, problem solved.
On topic, I have "The Complete Guide..." Arriving today !

It's frustrating but not surprising
I quite like rinella and his writing but he certainly isn't opposed to product placement.