PDA

View Full Version : getting a hate on

hardnocks
09-02-2015, 07:43 AM
I am starting to get a hate on for tikka`s . I have 2 black tikka`s but can`t keep rust off them I take good care of my rifle but these dam pieces of crap are really pissing me off . Me and the grandson had a wet weekend his xs7 marlin was outside in the rain. my anshutz 22 got wet shooting bunnies. ....BUT THE ONLY ONE THAT GOT ANY RUST ON IT WAS THE TIKKA THAT NEVER GOT WET. I use grease on the barrels but 4 inchs on the end of the barrels rust .

I lived and hunted on the island for many years and never got any rust on any firearm.

russm86
09-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Are they blued or the matt black finish (not sure if Tikka has this type or not)? My Rem 700 with the matt black finish barrel was way worse for rusting than any blued barrels.

SSG-man
09-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Thats a shame.
All the new metals are cheaper, even stainless.
Like manufacturers can't get good raw material or something.

When I sold/traded my old blued M77, I took off my Bell/Carlson stock expecting a few rust specs where metal touched stock. Nothing.
I Cleaned and oiled that gun regularly but don't think I pulled stock off more than a couple times to clean.
So off it went with wood stock looking all brand new, clean shiny bore.
Think it sold on here for barely $400 after I traded it.

ACE
09-02-2015, 09:28 AM
We keep a Tika around camp ..... it's quite handy. Makes a great handle for a vehicle jack, and prying the tent pegs out. Over-rated ......

444marlin
09-02-2015, 09:33 AM
I noticed a few small rust spots on my Browning X Bolt (matt finish) after a about a year. Always kept it oiled.
Sold it and bought a Tikka Stainless.

shootsmcgee
09-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Yeah my browning x bolt stainless stalker has some spots starting on it especially on the bolt. She gets a liberal coat of rem oil now on the regular. I don't know if its cheaper steel they use or the machine shop isn't careful enough to separate the regular carbon metal equipment with the stainless leading to imbedded contamination...

monasheemountainman
09-02-2015, 09:45 AM
sounds weird, never had a problem with my tikkas

BgBlkDg
09-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Most of the newer production sporters are crap, as most consumers want low prices. You can have *cheap* or *good*, but, not both at once.

I have well-used rifles from the 1930s to the 1960s and they ALL work very well in extreme conditions. My more costly pieces from the 1990s and the past couple of years are lighter, but, really no better in terms of function, including rust resistance.

This, is why knowledgable gun users are willing to pay more for so-called (by morons) *old rifles*.

russm86
09-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Could just get everything coated. Cerakote or gunkote or whatever...

adriaticum
09-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Define "take good care of my rifle" .

TreeStandMan
09-02-2015, 10:30 AM
I've had this problem in the past on wet moose hunts... Hopefully the stainless Vanguard I just ordered will sort this out.

Speaking of stainless, do you guys keep your stainless rifles oiled, or just run and gun?

Gateholio
09-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Stainless rifles still require maintenance, just less.

DANOSON
09-02-2015, 01:40 PM
I had a problem with my 338 Browning A bolt that was left in scabbard and it rusted like no tomorrow. Talked about getting it reblued and Coralanes talked me out of it and said I should powder coat. That is what I did and it has been 6 years now and am I glad I went with their suggestion. Just take a rag to the coating and rub down with damp cloth when mud and dirt get on barrel and it looks like new. Still have to oil the action and inner barrel on clean up. Something to think about but not cheap. I recall between $250 and $300. Just my 2 cents hope this helps you.

Ferenc
09-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Corlanes also does the Teflon coating they have done a few up for me.. Works good also !!

BCBRAD
09-02-2015, 01:59 PM
With 'blued' rifles/shotguns I always carry an oil soaked cloth in a zip-lock bag and wipe down at the end of the day and a full (take the barreled action off the stock) wipe down at the end of a hunt. Cheap ones -expensive ones never had a problem with rust. Not even on a shotgun used in coastal marshes. That's why Bartell gives me big bucks on a trade :)

Salty
09-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Yep today's mat finishes on cheaper lines of rifles is no where near the protection of grandpa's blued rifle. Barring refinishing get some G 96 build up several protection coats following the directions and you'll have less troubles. Wipe it down regularly with a little more G 96 on a rag.

scotty30-06
09-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Now I'm probably gonna hear about this one but I have a rem 770 chambered in 30-06....never had a problem with rust or anything like that and I have had the gun for about 4 years now and it's been through hell and back...interesting that expensive guns like Tikka. Are having problems

Busterpayton54
09-02-2015, 05:07 PM
lol. It's rust, it's cosmetic, who gives a fork. You would cry if you ever see my rifles, my .22lr is a $1k build, my .300wm is well over $2k and my xcr is around $3.5k.. You'd think they were found in a ditch. They function and shoot straight. They aren't ornaments or art, they are tools and don't get treated any different than my hammers and wrenches.

Grinder
09-02-2015, 06:56 PM
I have owned a Tikka for several years and it has a blued barrel and I have never had a issue with rust. I keep it oiled and it seems fine. By far the best buy for the money is the Tikka. Unbelievably reliable and one of the smoothest actions on the market. Oh yeah and it also shoots a wicked grouping. I love them. I looked at the new remington model 700 recently and it seemed so cheaply built it made me sick. Looking down the barrel was like looking down a gravel road. What happened to remington, they used to be such a great rifle. Thats my 2 cents for what its worth.

Fred1
09-02-2015, 07:06 PM
My T3 stainless has been and goes thru hell every year. No problems. My Ruger stainless has been through much worse, every year - chit one dude even drove over it!- has studded tire marks on the barrel. No problems. I bathe em in the river, wipe em down, maybe throw a little oil in on the moving parts, I may have even swabbed the barrels once! No problems - both great guns!

Surrey Boy
09-02-2015, 07:09 PM
lol. It's rust, it's cosmetic, who gives a fork. You would cry if you ever see my rifles, my .22lr is a $1k build, my .300wm is well over $2k and my xcr is around $3.5k.. You'd think they were found in a ditch. They function and shoot straight. They aren't ornaments or art, they are tools and don't get treated any different than my hammers and wrenches.

I came by an SKS and SMLE that were so rusted they were seized, but both cleaned up and came to shoot rather well. As much as they're pitted inside and out, no parts were needed.

ElectricDyck
09-02-2015, 09:48 PM
We keep a Tika around camp ..... it's quite handy. Makes a great handle for a vehicle jack, and prying the tent pegs out. Over-rated ......

Betcha it still shoots better than your browning even after...

ElectricDyck
09-02-2015, 09:53 PM
My blued barreled tikka rusts after a week in the bush with no love..I use car wax on the reciever where the stalk covers and spray or wipes on the rest when I can..crown will rust when I don't shoot anything and the electrical tape holds moisture, I've started being a little more conscious of and taking off the tape between which helps, when I give this one to one of my boys the next will be stainless for sure and a tikka...

ACE
09-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Betcha it still shoots better than your Browning even after...

Browning makes a pry bar that's even better than the 'dime a dozen' Tika's ........ Hey! Browning stickers on a body lifted F150 Xtra Cab shortbox .... what can be better?
Canuck flags flying from all four corners ...... nice!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

ElectricDyck
09-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Browning makes a pry bar that's even better than the 'dime a dozen' Tika's ........ Hey! Browning stickers on a body lifted F150 Xtra Cab shortbox .... what can be better?

Ha ha yeah, one of them his and hers heart browning stickers....I've turned into a browning hipster due to their effective marketing campaig, Im sure they are a decent rifle...I'm a toyota guy browning is like a jeep to me...Tikka is a toyota..

SSG-man
09-02-2015, 10:31 PM
You got that backwards.
Browning is made in Japan so it would be the Toyota

Tika would have to be Jeep then

Ha ha yeah, one of them his and hers heart browning stickers....I've turned into a browning hipster due to their effective marketing campaig, Im sure they are a decent rifle...I'm a toyota guy browning is like a jeep to me...Tikka is a toyota..

duckhunt
09-02-2015, 10:50 PM
You got that backwards.
Browning is made in Japan so it would be the Toyota

Tika would have to be Jeep then

That would work if tikka was made in Mexico

Gateholio
09-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Now I'm probably gonna hear about this one but I have a rem 770 chambered in 30-06....never had a problem with rust or anything like that and I have had the gun for about 4 years now and it's been through hell and back...interesting that expensive guns like Tikka. Are having problems

I'm not shocked at all. The T3's are inexpensively made rifles with high price tags. But the bolts are sure smooth! :)

Busterpayton54
09-03-2015, 12:06 AM
I came by an SKS and SMLE that were so rusted they were seized, but both cleaned up and came to shoot rather well. As much as they're pitted inside and out, no parts were needed. rust is over rated. As long as it's not a highspot, it may as well not exist. It's funny the thread came along today because I'm so busy, and today after work I was reving home thinking I might clean at least my xcr, the gas valve has been sexed for about 2 months since i shot a few hundred rounds of corrosive through it without cleaning, and even after noticing my rifle growing red fuz and the valve being seized I've free a few hundred more through it on a few more occasions. Oh and it's still covered in mud from atv'ing about 4 months ago.
If you think I'm kidding, your wrong. Mud chunks from 4 months ago, hasnt seen oil for a few months, gas valve seized cock stiff for a few months, red fuzzies growing in/on the barrel, especially in the gills of the brake and the exterior where's the gas tube vents.
Found in ditch dead.

SAVAGEONE
09-03-2015, 12:35 AM
I am starting to get a hate on for tikka`s . I have 2 black tikka`s but can`t keep rust off them I take good care of my rifle but these dam pieces of crap are really pissing me off . Me and the grandson had a wet weekend his xs7 marlin was outside in the rain. my anshutz 22 got wet shooting bunnies. ....BUT THE ONLY ONE THAT GOT ANY RUST ON IT WAS THE TIKKA THAT NEVER GOT WET. I use grease on the barrels but 4 inchs on the end of the barrels rust .
I lived and hunted on the island for many years and never got any rust on any firearm.
Only solution is to keep the barrel hot ( so keep shooting ).:razz: