PDA

View Full Version : New Quad rules.

luckofthedraw
09-01-2015, 06:48 PM
I don't own a quad. I wan't to borrow one for the month of October from someone I know. He hasn't payed attention to the new rules as of yet...and hasn't registered.

Are the rules in effect now? How will that effect me borrowing an unregistered...possibly uninsured quad?

Thanks in advance.

ACE
09-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Has to be registered by November 1st .....

Ferenc
09-01-2015, 06:51 PM
November I have been told in regards to plate being required on them

itsy bitsy xj
09-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Get your own insurance by buying a BCWF membership

scottwh
09-01-2015, 07:16 PM
I seen BC plates on 2 quads today. Wonder if this means we can use them in AB???

luckofthedraw
09-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Cool. So nothing to worry about then? I am BCWF member.

Monashee
09-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Anyone in favour of a mandatory safety course for riding ATVs ? Even just a 1/2 hour safety riding course would illustrate things like braking on gravel and safe speeds ... but you can't cure stupid. The way I see people ride them on logging roads it seems putting a speed limiter on them is a good idea , do they really need to go 70 or 80 kmh on a twisty logging road where u don't what is around the corner or over the hill . Hit the designated race track if you want to open it up , don't endanger other people , thanks.

My relatives had the Honda 3 wheelers from the early 80's , those were good for thinning the herd , completely safe if you drove them with care but too many idiots and kids killed themselves on them so the machines were banned . The first 4 wheeler i drove felt like a cadillac in comparison .

huntingfamily
09-01-2015, 08:00 PM

Not until Nov 1 which is the deadline to have your ATV registered and licensed.

303savage
09-01-2015, 08:06 PM
but you can't cure stupid

it doesn't matter how many rules and regulations they have in place, it doesn't cure stupid.

goatdancer
09-01-2015, 08:07 PM
I seen BC plates on 2 quads today. Wonder if this means we can use them in AB???
You'd have to check about insurance in AB. Quite a few years ago we had to go thru a long song and dance to use our quads in AB because of no plates

Bowzone_Mikey
09-01-2015, 08:13 PM
yes you can use your machines in Alberta ...
as long as they are registered and insured ...

Forestry Gaurdians have the capacity to check registries databases now and as long as yours is registered and insured
(in Alberta you cannot register it without insurance..obviously in BC its done at the same place) you are good to go

Buckmeister
09-01-2015, 10:55 PM

BCWF insurance is nice but I believe it only covers you. You still need to get third party liability, available through an insurance outlet, and this will allow you to travel FSR's and be covered if YOU cause an accident for SOMEONE ELSE.

allan
09-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Anyone in favour of a mandatory safety course for riding ATVs ? Even just a 1/2 hour safety riding course would illustrate things like braking on gravel and safe speeds ... but you can't cure stupid. The way I see people ride them on logging roads it seems putting a speed limiter on them is a good idea , do they really need to go 70 or 80 kmh on a twisty logging road where u don't what is around the corner or over the hill . Hit the designated race track if you want to open it up , don't endanger other people , thanks.

My relatives had the Honda 3 wheelers from the early 80's , those were good for thinning the herd , completely safe if you drove them with care but too many idiots and kids killed themselves on them so the machines were banned . The first 4 wheeler i drove felt like a cadillac in comparison .
a mandatory safe driving guide is a waste of time, worse then the long gun registry.
you can't fix stupid.
But if you would like I could give you some pointers on braking and how to drift corners if you want, oh and I can get my quad up to about 95 on the straight stretches.😜

SPEYMAN
09-02-2015, 10:14 AM
You must have a valid drivers license, $200,000.00 personal liability insurance, wear a dot approved helmet. Should be familiar with the operation of the machine you are operating. ATVs are not toys. Obey the rules and laws when operating an ORV. 80 km per hour is the maximum speed on a FSR. Over that is breaking the law.

jedimaster
09-02-2015, 11:07 AM
hmm, I regesitered my quad a month ago at icbc and paid for insurance and they said I didn't need a license for it.

Iron Glove
09-02-2015, 11:25 AM
BCWF insurance is nice but I believe it only covers you. You still need to get third party liability, available through an insurance outlet, and this will allow you to travel FSR's and be covered if YOU cause an accident for SOMEONE ELSE.

Check your Homeowner's Policy - most, if not all specifically exclude all liability arising from the use of owned ATV's however some policies include your liability arising out of the use of non-owned , i.e. borrowed ATV's.
As always, read your policy and if in doubt ask your Insurance Broker.

Monashee
09-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Yeah a safety course wouldn't help , https://www.google.com/search?q=cbc+atv+rider+killed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Gun Dog
09-02-2015, 01:09 PM
hmm, I regesitered my quad a month ago at icbc and paid for insurance and they said I didn't need a license for it.If you're riding on resource roads (aka forest service roads) then you need a valid driver's license.

BCWF provides third party liability insurance to most (not all) of it's members. You would have received a one page insurance letter that you carry with you.

ICBC sells ATV third party liability insurance for around $1 a day with a $30 minimum. It's the cheapest solution if you're borrowing an ATV for a few weeks.