PDA

View Full Version : Pants!

604Stalker
09-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Just curious what kinda outer layer people are using? checked a bunch of things out but they were overpriced, too noisy or not waterproof .. Got away with hiking pants with track pants over them last year but that was a one off season for weather.

Rackmastr
09-01-2015, 05:02 PM
I have used a number of different pants with good success, but this year I ordered Sitka Timberlines and am excited to try them out. I have a pair of Sitka Ascents for early season, but hoping the Timberlines will perform well on a northern caribou trip this month! I'll provide a trip report and gear report when home!

pg83
09-01-2015, 05:13 PM
I have the original model KUIU Attack Pants and their original Chugach rain gear which is what I use for all my earlier season hunting. When the weather gets colder I switch it up to some looser fitting insulated Browning stuff.

What kind of hunting are you planning to do with these pants of yours?

604Stalker
09-01-2015, 05:23 PM
I'm heading to cache creek area in November but eventually hope to head further north.. I did a bunch of lower mainland trips last year. And want to get further out this time round.

XPEIer
09-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Go to a surplus store and get two pairs of wool pants, one heavy and one lighter, colour does not matter.

tadpole
09-01-2015, 06:05 PM
For years I go old fashion wool pants. What I use is old German army surplus thick wool, pale green, side pockets ,bombproof and silent army pants. I took them to my tailor for custom fit and they are great. And the price is right too.

Salty
09-01-2015, 06:17 PM
I've mostly used wool pants only down fall they don't break the wind at all. I bought some Cabelas dry plus rain suede pants a couple years ago which I normally use these days they're quiet and I've been a blowing downpoor or six with them and stayed pretty comfortable. You get wet if you sit or kneel for a while but if you're moving you're fine. There's way better pants out there but for the price they're pretty good.

IslandBC
09-01-2015, 06:43 PM
I pack these around in my hunting bag on bow hunts, there awesome. Water proof, quite and decently breathable. Perfect throw over pants if you get caught in a down poor.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-BONEDRY-CWS-Pants-for-Men/product/13030806013824/

ajr5406
09-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Any surplus stores you would recommend in the LML?

Sofa King
09-01-2015, 07:42 PM
unless you have $$ to burn and piss away, to hell with the massively over-priced shit like Sitka.
but then, people will tell you can't see an animal unless it's through $2000 swarovskis.
I've used a pair of cheap as shit "big bill" pants for the last several years.
they are quiet, completely waterproof, warm, they've been absolutely great and cost almost nothing.
i'll still use them this year and many more, but I also bought some natgear pants, winter jacket, and light jacket this past weekend.
under $300 for all three.

Fella
09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I have a couple pairs of wool German army surplus pants, great for when it's cold and not super wet. I also just bought the Aegis bib from Kryptek. Usually they sell for over $300 but I found them online for under $100. I would never spend $300 on pants.

Elkaddict
09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Any surplus stores you would recommend in the LML?

Westley Surplus on Front St. in New West used to have a decent selection, but haven't been in there in years. Fleabay is another possibility. I've picked up some stuff off there for really decent prices. Not such great deals now with the dollar though.

longstonec
09-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Wool big bill pants. If its really shatty rainy I wear gore tex pants from mech overtop... until this year that is! Damn things only have a elastic waist which is a huge problem with a loaded pack... pants around your knees. Was keeping an eye out for new pants and randomly took the wife in to arcteryx factory outlet in North Van so she could try on acouple jackets. Walked in the door. LEAF pants. $700.00!!! Marked down to $54.00. So i bought a pair.

scottwh
09-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Sitka Timberlines all the way for me.

604Stalker
09-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Forsure I looked at all that stuff and decided to post on here . I've been camping since I was a little kid and never needed more than some good wool some polar fleece and the occasional pair of rain pants. I figured not everyone went and spent 400 dollars to have something better than jeans or track pants... That being said ... Go track pants! I may look like a UK drugdealer out there but they were quiet and wicked moisture like nobody's business

IslandBC
09-01-2015, 08:19 PM
If there blue then you will look like a UK drug dealer... if there black you will look like ricky from TPB with a gun

604Stalker
09-01-2015, 09:19 PM
...definitely the later... Hopefully it's a few deer this year and not a dirty ol Jay burger

Cordillera
09-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Cabelas microtex early in the season. 80 bucks. Quiet, dry and light. Once the snow falls move to wool especially if you are sitting around much.

Camp Cook
09-03-2015, 11:26 AM
I wear the $20.00 - $24.00 Costco BC Clothing quick dry zip off unlined pants for work/hiking/hunting etc as far as I am concerned they are equal in quality to the best most expensive outdoor pants I have ever bought.

They are so good that I even supply them to my employees for work main difference is I can afford to own multiple pairs for the same price as one pair of name brand.

When it rains I either wear my Kuiu Chugach rain gear or my 3 layer breathable Taiga jacket and Avalanche bib rain pants.

Ferenc
09-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Polyester camo loungers. Ha. Lol

Surrey Boy
09-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Dickies workpants or Wal-Mart camo. Sweats underneath if another layer's necessary.

Carrollizer
09-03-2015, 01:43 PM
I have a $40 pair of chemical resistant army surplus pants. They are quiet and don't let any water in. Surprisingly breathable too.
Matches my $30 chemical jacket. I just wear jeans under the pants and a flannel under the jacket. I've hunted in rain and snow with no warmth or wetness issues.
Why people buy $500 jackets that do the same thing is beyond me.