PDA

View Full Version : Had to call the CO's this morning

j270wsm
09-01-2015, 12:02 PM
While out hunting this morning I was walking the bow zone boundary where I was hunting and I ran into a man and his daughter who were following a blood trail. They informed me that they( dad ) had shot a cow elk up above me on the hill and they were looking for it. When they told me where it was I informed them they had shot it in a no hunting area. I then proceded to ask questions and found out they were 200yds onto mine property and had no clue they weren't allowed to be hunting there. I pointed to the 4" fence posts and signs that said no trespassing, no shooting. They didn't even seem to care. The father informed me that his son and daughter in law were somewhere further north as well.

After informing the loss prevention people at greenhills( coal mine ) about the elk being shot on their property I was informed that earlier the son and daughter in law were found 300yds past the no hunting/shooting signs.

The mine puts out maps in the local news paper and hands them out at the gate house. There is no reason why people can't/don't use every available resource to learn the boundaries where they plan to hunt.

HarryToolips
09-01-2015, 12:09 PM
There is a cow elk season near your property/area I'm assuming?? Either way, they're breaking the rules, so ya your doing the right thing..

hparrott
09-01-2015, 12:49 PM
It is too bad the father is displaying such poor hunting ethics, and to boot in front of his kids who will learn the way he hunts.

Mikey Rafiki
09-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Those areas are such a crap shoot all the time. Always some people who are either too dumb to know where they are or think they can get the upper hand if they just accidentally wander into mine property. Wounded critters, flying bullets... it's a nice spot but too crazy for this guy.

300H&H
09-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Mistakes do happen but how you react to them says a lot about you as a hunter.

By your story he did not seem to care, but worse by his actions taught his hunting partner a lack of respect for the rules & regulations...sad.

Good for you reporting it.

mcmullmar
09-01-2015, 01:25 PM
We need more like you to report unlawful hunting. Well done!

wideopenthrottle
09-01-2015, 01:28 PM
was the elks name cecellia..were they luring/pushing her out of the mine's "protected area"...jk ...good work

scotty30-06
09-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Good work....that kinda stuff will ruin it for everyone

M.Dean
09-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Kind'a makes a guy want to shove the signs, and sign post up the idiots As*!!! Really makes me wonder about some of these guys walking around with loaded weapons??? And good for you Sir for at least catching one of them!!!

j270wsm
09-01-2015, 03:17 PM
There is a huge area that is open for antler less elk where I bow hunt. Before all the drama started, I had 2 cows at 15yds but they stopped behind a few small trees and I couldn't let an arrow fly.

j270wsm
09-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Talked to the local CO on Monday and was I formed that father was charged with trespassing. Apparently they couldn't charge them with anything else since the cow elk was never recovered.

buzz720
09-08-2015, 06:03 PM
The nerve of some people is unbelievable. We have some property close to town and people will drive down the private driveway, pass the house and into the fields. Or they will go through an old road that goes the back of the property. We have even had them shoot multiple holes in the rad of a bulldozer that was out there.

Peter Pepper
09-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Tattle tale

j270wsm
09-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Tattle tale

Yup. And I'll continue to call in poachers.

mikeboehm
09-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Peter Pepper*

HuntingBC Champ

Re: Had to call the CO's this morning

Tattle tale

People that bitch about people that report poachers tend to be the ones that do these illegal activities good on you for reporting I will too

Looking_4_Jerky
09-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Although I am extremely sympathetic to small land owners who have difficulty keeping up with turdbrains who try to hunt in their back yards, I am less sympathetic to large industrial land owners or tenure holders who hold monstrous tracts of land and exclude hunters from all of it, despite that with minimal effort, they could arrange something that would concurrently allow hunting and the activity to occur.

Mines are a prime example. There are several places I've hunted where it is just easier and ultimately cheaper for them to say, "sorry about your luck" than it is to put together access and work plans that would enable people to access inactive areas. In many cases, those inactive areas don't see industrial activity for decades, and in the meanwhile, remain access restricted.

I'm not necessarily saying I agree with the guy's choice to trespass. I don't know the circumstances and don't know the guy. All I'm saying is that there have certainly been times when I've been pissed about being excluded from areas where you know there is no good reason why you can't go there. Maybe the guy has just had enough of all the best spots being encumbered by corporate giants who won't bother to create access opportunities because it will cost a couple of bucks.

Quantafer
09-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Although I am extremely sympathetic to small land owners who have difficulty keeping up with turdbrains who try to hunt in their back yards, I am less sympathetic to large industrial land owners or tenure holders who hold monstrous tracts of land and exclude hunters from all of it, despite that with minimal effort, they could arrange something that would concurrently allow hunting and the activity to occur.

Mines are a prime example. There are several places I've hunted where it is just easier and ultimately cheaper for them to say, "sorry about your luck" than it is to put together access and work plans that would enable people to access inactive areas. In many cases, those inactive areas don't see industrial activity for decades, and in the meanwhile, remain access restricted.

I'm not necessarily saying I agree with the guy's choice to trespass. I don't know the circumstances and don't know the guy. All I'm saying is that there have certainly been times when I've been pissed about being excluded from areas where you know there is no good reason why you can't go there. Maybe the guy has just had enough of all the best spots being encumbered by corporate giants who won't bother to create access opportunities because it will cost a couple of bucks.

I think the reason you are not allowed to hunt in these areas comes down to liability for the mine and the safety of their employees.

Bugle M In
09-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Tattle tale

It takes a lot for me to put down a member on here, regardless of their opinions....BUT,
You my friend, just stated a hard fact about yourself...grow up!
I report vehicles in Closures every year...and I feel great about it, especially when I spent 2 hrs following the rules, hiking a bike to the top.
I hope you will be one of those I get to report some day! :grin:

Ride Red
09-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Yup. And I'll continue to call in poachers.

Hats off to you for doing the right thing, j270wsm.

Looking_4_jerky,

We lose the right to hunt these areas because assholes like this poacher can't seem to pull his self righteous head out of his ass long enough to follow the rules and teach his offspring the right way to live life. Another scumbag who shouldn't be raising kids, IMHO.

IslandBC
09-09-2015, 05:15 PM
I agree the situation would be different if he didn't know what he was doing. But to knowingly engage in a unlawful hunt and admit to it! Report that f#%!?R

M.Dean
09-09-2015, 07:11 PM
It literary amazes me how some people can shoot a animal in a closed area, or at night, or when there's no season or any of the other hundred ways to poach a animal, and then have the "Ball's" to lie about it to there hunting buddy's or friends, family or the guys at work, etc, etc! And continue to lie about it every dam time someone asks about the huge set of horns hang'in off his wall? Or even simply sitting around a camp fire on a hunting trip, and sure as hell, this maggot tells his story for all to hear, and it's complete Bull Sh*t! The thing is this, if you love the sport of hunting, and enjoy all that go's along with taking a decent sized animal, being able to relive the hunt over and over again to family and friends, until there real sick of hearing it, thing is, if you get nailed for "Poaching", it simply doesn't matter if later on in life you belly crawl 6 bloody miles over sharp rocks and cactus and hammer a massive Mule Deer buck, No ones going to believe you!!! You might as well quit hunting and take up golf, where your expected to lie and cheat on every hole!!! Play by the rules, and you can brag about your animal until you simply don't have anyone left who wants to hear about the dam anymore, and you can do it with a honest smile on your face!!! And Good Luck to all tomorrow!

IslandBC
09-09-2015, 07:36 PM
well said ^^^

86k20
09-09-2015, 08:06 PM
I think the biggest reason you are not allowed to hunt on private land is just that. It is private property. Doesn't matter why they say no. No is no. Why would you even think you are somehow entitled to access. If they allow hunting great, Good for them. But who are we as hunters to thing they are obligated to allow us on private property. Trespassing is along the lines of poaching. You are breaking the rules. Follow all the laws and regs or Don't bother following any of em.

hawk-i
09-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Might be he has a status card...don't think the mines signs will apply to him if he does.

j270wsm
09-09-2015, 11:03 PM

Mines are a prime example. There are several places I've hunted where it is just easier and ultimately cheaper for them to say, "sorry about your luck" than it is to put together access and work plans that would enable people to access inactive areas.

This particular area is a bow only zone that is on mine property. So this isn't a case of not being able to access any of the mine property. It's about staying where were allowed to hunt and where it's safe for us hunters and the mine employees.