PDA

View Full Version : 1st Stalk of the Year

swamper
04-28-2007, 08:52 PM
This afternoon Tank and I went for an early season bear hunt. We felt we would be lucky if we even spotted one, but it was a good excuse for a drive in the bush.
We spotted a nice bear at about 440 yards down a logging road, eating the minimal greenage on the side of the road. We managed to get within 80 yards before he winded us and got the hell out of Dodge. 80 yards if definitely not in my archery comfort zone.
We turned around and headed back out. As we passed a field that I have permission to hunt we spotted a very nice bear. He obviously had played this game before because as soon as we stopped to have a good look he hit the road. We tried my new predator call but he wasn't interested.
Not long after we were coming around a corner and I was telling Tank how Oldtimer and I had played hide and seek with a small brown bear last year. Low and behold, there was yet another shooter bear.
In total we saw 3 nice bears, a moose, many deer, a pair of sandhill cranes in a logging slash, and couple of grouse. Pretty good for an afternoon of scouting.

oldtimer
04-29-2007, 06:28 AM
I can just about picture exactly where you were too !!!! Mike

swamper
04-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Hey Mike, the biggest bear was in the field across the road from where you and I saw that monster last year.

oldtimer
04-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Lets go get him !!! I am sighting in my bow on monday I hope, gotta fine tune the broadheads. What time are you off? phone me

Chuck
04-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Look out bears!......Here come the bowhunters. LOL