PDA

View Full Version : Fort St James to Takla Lake

rec
08-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Hi boys and girls have any of you travelled from James to Takla Landing lately going up there in a few weeks any info on road conditions and how long a drive would be most appreciated please post or PM me with any info Thank you REC http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.png

.330 Dakota
08-30-2015, 11:33 AM
I was up there in the spring about 4 years ago,,,road is wide and in good condition as its a main haul road,,,if memory serves me correctly its about a 4 hour run,,,have at least 2 spare tires as he road has sharp rocks,,,Kal Tire in Ft St James, is handy but you have to have a spare to get there

lwing
08-30-2015, 12:16 PM
I used two spares on a company van, with crappy tires

rec
08-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys I'll be taking a few spares for sure

375shooter
08-30-2015, 12:44 PM
I made it all the way up to Fort Ware and back one time without any flats. Had BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires.

Sitkaspruce
08-30-2015, 02:53 PM
I drove that road every week for 3 years and another 200+ times in the 12 years after that and never, ever had a flat.....knock on wood...hahaha!!! I did however, have a truck catch on fire, lost a tire and rim of the front passenger side and had a drive shaft break at the trany end while doing 80k.....and a word of warning, if you do have a couple flats or otherwise have to leave the truck on the side of the road.....do not leave it alone...ever....

It is a good road, better maintained in the lower half (Leo Creek) than the upper half (Driftwood). Watch for lots of trucks, dust and the odd beater truck.

Cheers

SS

takla1
08-30-2015, 03:40 PM
I went into takla every fall moose hunter from 95' till last yr.road was always maintained,graded regular as its a main for loggers.Each yr we took 2 trucks loaded with trailers and in 20 yrs zero flats.Last time in I did crack my front dif housing from a high centered rock and it cut my trip short.
When dry its great driving for gravel,just watch the dips as water puddles there for pot holes.
good luck good moose country

rec
08-31-2015, 07:22 AM
Thank you SS and Takla1 appreciate your input, buddy and I are looking forward to looking over new country and with any luck bag a couple moose ,there's going to be a lot of sleepless nights till we hit the road thanks again REC

.330 Dakota
08-31-2015, 07:26 AM
I made it all the way up to Fort Ware and back one time without any flats. Had BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires.

And a statue of Jesus swingin from the mirror,,,lol,,,,,,, BFG'S my my my

.330 Dakota
08-31-2015, 07:27 AM
I drove that road every week for 3 years and another 200+ times in the 12 years after that and never, ever had a flat.....knock on wood...hahaha!!! I did however, have a truck catch on fire, lost a tire and rim of the front passenger side and had a drive shaft break at the trany end while doing 80k.....and a word of warning, if you do have a couple flats or otherwise have to leave the truck on the side of the road.....do not leave it alone...ever....

It is a good road, better maintained in the lower half (Leo Creek) than the upper half (Driftwood). Watch for lots of trucks, dust and the odd beater truck.

Cheers

SS

Jeepers SS,,,Were ya drivin a Chev??....Lol

GoatGuy
08-31-2015, 08:03 AM

Cheers

SS
Ohhh the memories........

had a front tire/wheel come off, 4 wd blow up, brakes fail, transmission die, flat tire in a truck without a jack/tire iron, fuel line fail, u joint implode, and a bunch of other stuff the memory doesnt recall. All got fixed in the bush lol

Bowzone_Mikey
08-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Its a good road as far as FSRs go

Take your typical gear that you would for remote wilderness and you will be fine

I havent been up to Talka for years now ...My wifes Grandfather used to manage the lodge... I know a couple of people live at the Nation Lakes when they aint working, so they take the road often

Sitkaspruce
08-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Jeepers SS,,,Were ya drivin a Chev??....Lol

Actually the Chev (95 3/4 ton, was a great truck, other than the AM radio and no air conditioning) was the only truck that gave me no grief. Truck that caught on fire and the other that had the drive shaft break were....good old Dodges....worst trucks I ever drove!!! The tire/wheel coming off was a Ford, just about left it on the side of the road for the "locals" to deal with.....and I forgot, another Dodge that would jump out of gear when ever I hit a pot hole too hard....

Ohhh the memories........

had a front tire/wheel come off, 4 wd blow up, brakes fail, transmission die, flat tire in a truck without a jack/tire iron, fuel line fail, u joint implode, and a bunch of other stuff the memory doesnt recall. All got fixed in the bush lol

Hahaha!!! Those were the days, had to be quick thinking and be able to jury rig to get back home......

Cheers

SS

Salty
08-31-2015, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a case of lead foot and running the bag out of company trucks SS :tongue:

tyyota
08-31-2015, 10:02 PM
What are the fuel up options on this route? Anything outside of fsj?

rec
09-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the info partner and I heading in around the 25 for a couple weeks all your post and PM's will likely help a couple of old codgers like us get our moose my much older partner says he'll walk the moose out to a good spot before he shoots I hope I can hold him to that, be nice not to have to build rafts for a change good luck to all of you going out this fall remember it's not the kill as exciting as that is [even for old codgers]it's having a partner that's on the same page as you when the real work starts cheers REC