Tikka260
08-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Any advice guys in hunting immies first week in October, 7 11 zone

Can you pattern them at all?
What are they feeding on?

thanks

blackwater moose
08-30-2015, 09:36 AM
I haven't seen an immy in 7-11 for over 10 years. with calf season having been part of the GOS ( now, it is over 65 ) not many calves were left to mature. the immature bulls will feed on the things any moose does. all I can say is don't get your hopes up on harvesting an immature bull in 7-11.

monasheemountainman
08-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Any advice guys in hunting immies first week in October, 7 11 zone

Can you pattern them at all?
What are they feeding on?

thanks

they are still moose feeding on moose stuff.

buckshot
08-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Seen one by Tatuk West campsite last October. I don't know if it survived the season though.

Fred1
08-30-2015, 06:36 PM
The bottom line when "looking" for an immature is hunt for them where there is a decent moose population. Duh... You may as well call - Ive called lots of them - even had paying clients ecstatic to shoot them... I know WTH!?!? Anyway, finding an immature when you are looking for one is a long shot... Buy a moose tag, and go on a deer hunt - you might get lucky!

magnumjeff
08-30-2015, 07:04 PM
good luck better buy a lottery ticket, better ods with ticket

J_06
08-30-2015, 10:07 PM
Spend some time looking up some tag soup recipes and you'll be all set.

moosinaround
08-30-2015, 10:17 PM
"Spike fork" moose, usually still with cows till the little tykes get pushed away by the breeder bulls! If you see a cow, with a smaller moose, look closely at the smaller moose, those bony antlers can be difficult to see! Scout newer cut blocks with succulent new alder and willow shoots! They don't head to the woody old birch and dogwood till the good stuff is covered with snow. Good hunting! Moosin

Buckmeister
08-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Was up in 7-11 in 2010 with a buddy who had any bull LEH. We were very close to the border of the next M.U. and had split up in a maturing cut block. He took the left, I took the right. I got up a few hundred yards and spotted a 7x7 moving through the trees. Went back and waved down my friend. He walked up my trail while I went back to the truck to grab something I had forgot. When I caught up to him he was getting ready to shoot, and signaled to me that there was two moose. He shot, and then shot again a few more times for insurance. I watched the bull drop. Both bull were now standing in a landing with very easy access from the trail we were standing on. Then my eyes drifted over to the other moose standing nearby, it's antlers looked like a 2 point white tail. I grabbed my binos for a better look and confirmation, but at that moment the bull started wagging his head back and forth, and then took off. My buddy later confessed that it was a 2 point, but he didn't tell me cause he didn't want the hassle of dealing with two dead moose at once. :shock: We are still friends, and he did share his moose with me, but yikes, dude, you don't let a legal bull walk away.

Boner
08-31-2015, 07:38 AM
...so you had a tag to get an immature that you didn't see, and he with the LEH draw saw it and didn't tell you to get ready to shoot simultaneously?
That would be a dick move if I read that right.

Glenny
08-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Eastern region 5. If the wolves and cougars don't gettm you will. The whole mangy emaciated 95lbs of them. One guy in our shared hunt got a immy that actually had no backstraps at all. Just bone and ribs. I passed on a similar immy the next day. Coulda loaded it onto the truck whole by myself.

Tikka260
08-31-2015, 03:29 PM
Eastern region 5. If the wolves and cougars don't gettm you will. The whole mangy emaciated 95lbs of them. One guy in our shared hunt got a immy that actually had no backstraps at all. Just bone and ribs. I passed on a similar immy the next day. Coulda loaded it onto the truck whole by myself.

Mangy go and Underweight?

There was one time sitting i was in a stand with elk and deer tags to fill.
A cow calf pair walked right by.
They were thin and lots of grey fir and no shine to the coat.
The old farmer explained it as ticks...
Heard from others too the ticks were beating the moose up pretty hard.

Well that was 10 years ago and the moose have come back pretty good.
Although in that area less and less standing timber each year is better for the elk and whitetails they say.

Buckmeister
08-31-2015, 05:29 PM
...so you had a tag to get an immature that you didn't see, and he with the LEH draw saw it and didn't tell you to get ready to shoot simultaneously?
That would be a dick move if I read that right.

You did read it right.

markomoose
09-01-2015, 04:33 PM
They are far and few but do exist.