PDA

View Full Version : How long will a salted and dried hide last?

Rich_D
08-28-2015, 11:17 PM
I have a nice Coyote hide that I have had in my garage for 2 years and just haven't gotten around to getting it to the tannery.

It was skinned and salted the day I bagged it and then re-salted a couple of times until it was bone dry.

Will it still be OK to get tanned?

If it will still be OK, can anyone recommend a good place to send it to as I was not impressed with the job done here at the Kamloops tannery on my last hide. I went to the trouble of skinning out the paws, head, ears, etc to have a rug made and they left the head and paws hard as F%@$ making it unusable for a rug.

Rackmastr
08-29-2015, 08:15 AM
If it was done right, it should be fine. I've seen a few minor issues with air-dried coyotes that have been a few years hanging on the wall, but a salt dried one should be fine in 2 years time.

Flint Fur Tannery in Cranbrook.

Rich_D
09-10-2015, 10:37 PM
Forgot I posted this :oops:

Thanks.

scotty30-06
09-10-2015, 11:03 PM
What kind of salt do you use for that stuff....borax?

ACB
09-11-2015, 09:49 AM
I'v used a mixture of coarse pickling salt and borax on pieces of deer hide and skinned buck out tails for fly tying {plus air drying}.Their years old now and still good. Got to get all the flesh off.

Rich_D
09-12-2015, 01:21 AM

I got a 20lb bag of salt from the Horse Barn. Told them it was for hide prep and they knew what I was after.