PDA

View Full Version : Do you remove the tarsal gland on a rutting deer?

ajr5406
08-28-2015, 07:50 PM
What's the scoop (pardon the pun) on removing the tarsal glands on a buck that's in the rut? I've heard people say the do, others say just don't touch them. I like the idea of the gutless method so not sure if its even any issue then?

Curious to hear from you guys?

Mikey Rafiki
08-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Didn't think gutless method affects the glands either way. If I've got extra time in the field or need to quarter and pack out I will remove them. If I can drag the whole thing after a basic gutting I will often wait until I have it hanging at home and just stay away from them in the mean time.

Daybreak
08-28-2015, 08:06 PM
For me they are the first thing to come off once the deer is hanging and that is usually within an hour or two of gutting. I find them much easier to remove that way. As far as gutless on a deer... no way, never.

Let me rephrase myself so as not to sound like a hero. I've yet to shoot a deer so big or in such a difficult spot that I couldn't get it to a road or trail in one piece. Three deer in particular were a tough slug. Personally, I would avoid the gutless method on a deer unless absolutely necessary. I enjoy the butterfly chops bone in as it imparts lots of flavour and oils to the dish.

Ferenc
08-28-2015, 08:08 PM
I never touch them.. But if you do decide to remove them do so with another knife.. Heard of some that remove them and tie them to their boots

Mikey Rafiki
08-28-2015, 08:17 PM
They haven't invented a deer I can't drag out in one piece.

Should have had you drag out my muley up a 200 yard 60 degree slope of scree and snow. Could barely climb up the stuff myself on all fours. ;)

HarryToolips
08-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Other than the gland above the eye, aren't most of the deers scent glands behind the knees and between the toes?? Cause as soon as I have the deer back to my vehicle, I cut the legs off just below the knees on the hind legs, in order to leave that tendon to hang/skin it, and cut the legs off above the knees on the front legs..therefore I'm removing most glands and I've never had a problem..

M.Dean
08-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Recently I've taken a meat saw and simply cut the leg off "above" the gland. Calm down and let me finish my story here!!! I know this go's against everything a guy learns about skinn'in out a animal! But, this works! Then to hang that half, or quarter, I either use a piece of tie wire or rope and wrap it around the calf part of the leg to make a hanging loop and the entire gland problem go's back to feed the coyotes. Works great, and I don't stink like a Rutt'in Buck for the rest of the day! But, Hey, each to there own!

Mikey Rafiki
08-28-2015, 08:41 PM
^ Harry, you aren't removing the tarsal gland that way. It's right next to that tendon above the rear leg joint. Either way, if you aren't touching it there's no harm.

Fred1
08-28-2015, 08:42 PM
LMAO!!! Some good hero statements here tonight!! Never talked to a girl I couldn't lift either....

E.B.
08-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Remove the tarsal , the spine, all the leg bones and hide and just bring the meat home. Gutless method one time and you will never go back!

Dannybuoy
08-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Didn't think gutless method affects the glands either way. If I've got extra time in the field or need to quarter and pack out I will remove them. If I can drag the whole thing after a basic gutting I will often wait until I have it hanging at home and just stay away from them in the mean time.

X2 on this , if you cut the leg off at the joint or just above , you will cut right thru the gland .

Bugle M In
08-28-2015, 09:39 PM
If all your doing is gutting the deer and then dragging it out, then don't worry about them.
If your gutting and debonining a deer on the spot, than 1, use the gutless method, and 2, remove the leg just above the tarsal glands, if it worries you
that you might touch the glands while skinning and deboning.
One other thing, I am a firm believer in keeping those glands for the following season.
I gutted my buddies deer one day, probably covered my pants etc from those glands, as I could smell it later that day on me and the next morning.
Anyways, come that next morning, while walking in really crunchy snow and stopped to glass the opposite mountainside, I heard crunching noises getting closer and closer.
Turned around, and here was a 4 pt buck running me down. (I think we were both surprised.)
Happened to a buddy of mine also.
If the timing ids right, I feel those glands can't hurt your odds...IMO.

RadHimself
08-29-2015, 01:31 AM
i skin them off and stickem in a bag and freeze'm....

you can only imagine why.... here's a hint.... they work GOOD next season

Stone Sheep Steve
08-29-2015, 04:31 AM
i skin them off and stickem in a bag and freeze'm....

you can only imagine why.... here's a hint.... they work GOOD next season

This.......