PDA

View Full Version : Logistics for cape care days from home.

chinook7
08-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Hi all.
I have a logistics question regarding cape/head care. Assume you shoot an animal you would like to do a shoulder mount for. If you are two nights and three days away from home (no freezing options for transport just cooler ) Or one night and two days away from a taxidermist that is far from your home. Would you opt for the distant taxidermist or the the one close to home.
Second question. In the same above situation for a shoulder mount, is it sufficient to skin and leave the head on (then salt like crazy) Or does one have to skin out completely then do all those lip and ear things or else it will spoil even with salt around the whole head.
Thanks.
I couldn't really find the answer to these questions based on searches.
Thanks again.

.264winmag
08-27-2015, 07:11 PM
If kept cool 3 days is no big deal in my experience, that's without salt but inside HD garbage bag and sinking in creek whenever possible. I've always removed cape from skull, remove lower jaw to save weight. Yet to turn lips etc. as I feel the taxidermist is better suited and cheaper in some cases:) I salt cape as soon as returning to truck or why and ice ASAP, from that point should be fine for the day or so trip to taxi.

ACB
08-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Hi all.
I have a logistics question regarding cape/head care. Assume you shoot an animal you would like to do a shoulder mount for. If you are two nights and three days away from home (no freezing options for transport just cooler ) Or one night and two days away from a taxidermist that is far from your home. Would you opt for the distant taxidermist or the the one close to home.
Second question. In the same above situation for a shoulder mount, is it sufficient to skin and leave the head on (then salt like crazy) Or does one have to skin out completely then do all those lip and ear things or else it will spoil even with salt around the whole head.
Thanks.
I couldn't really find the answer to these questions based on searches.
Thanks again.
The thing to do is when you shoot a small buck or doe practice caping out and fleshing, doing the lips and ears until you know what your doing so it won't be a problem when you finally get that trophy. You can never have to much salt.

Andrewh
08-27-2015, 09:42 PM
My sheep was fine for 7 days this year with a good salting every 2 days. Best to do light saltings more often then one big one as you can drain liquid between saltings. Mine was also fleshed, turned etc.

Jerlynn
08-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Might depend on the temperature and where you are too. My first hunt I was ill prepared to cape out the head yet decided to leave the cape on the skull due to freezing temperature and that worked out okay.