PDA

View Full Version : 7-16 - Wicheeda Lake access and camping questions

landphil
08-26-2015, 11:32 PM
We're heading to 7-16B in 8 days in hopes of "The Wife" filling our shared moose draw - looking at Wicheeda Lake on the maps, and am wondering what the road conditions into there are like, and if it's at all a suitable place to set up camp - I'll be towing a 16' single axle travel trailer, but it's lifted a bit.

killman
08-27-2015, 07:03 AM
No chance of getting to the lake with that.. Haven't been in years and then it was a very good 4x4 or quad only. With winching involved. I'm sure there are spots in the area..

electroman
08-27-2015, 07:21 AM
Yep not getting to that lake easily. Lots of guys camp just before the Parsnip off of Chuchinka.

Boner
08-27-2015, 07:37 AM
It's gross in there. I scratched my pickup really bad in there. And really muddy. Guys fish it by dragging single axle boat trailers behind ATVs.

Boner
08-27-2015, 11:25 AM
FWIW, from the 700 road East of Bear Lake, 7-16B starts at km 743.5. The boundary between B&C being the height of land right there. There is a sign on the road. Zone B watersheds flow East into the Parsnip River. Zone C flows West into the Crooked River. The height of land is very small and insignificant. I can see it being tricky if you're going cross country on foot. Your East boundary is the Parsnip River. It is at km 758. Good luck, it looks like a great place to hunt.

landphil
08-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys, good to know - amazing how maps and real life differ so much. Don't really need to camp at a lake - a pullout beside a creek would suffice just fine. Looks to be plenty of small creeks in the area, and water in general, I'm sure something suitable will turn up.

J_06
08-28-2015, 12:17 AM
Was out there last weekend, won't be getting anywhere near the lake with a trailer. Lots of places to camp, but lots of people too.

slayer B
08-28-2015, 07:11 AM
We were in there last year. Tough hunt for sure. Seen three moose in two weeks all taken by someone else. So many guys in there it wasn't funny. Tons of wolves too. That said bring a boat if you can. There's a ton of swamps that are without road access and you can go for miles! I wished I had my canoe the whole time I was there. With the added pressure I think they were staying deep in the woods and slews. Good luck and get some revenge for us lol. (We were skunked lol. First time for the old guys in our party since the 60s) ps if it's like last year bring the 22. Grouse everywhere!!!!