PDA

View Full Version : Morkill River area

Blair
08-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Hi everyone. My brother and I are planning a trip on horseback up the Morkill River FSR in September. It will be our first time in the area, so I am looking for any information anyone is willing to share. We are planning to take tags for mule deer, white tail, elk and moose. I understand there are good numbers of all of them up there. Any comments or particular areas we should be looking?

Is there decent grass up there for the horses? Any particular locations where we could camp with grass and water would be welcome information.

Are there any good places where we can get up high without too much bushwacking?

Any helpful information you have to share is appreciated. You can pm me if you wish.

Cheers,
Blair

264mag
08-26-2015, 10:27 AM
I hunted that area a couple years ago with the GO who holds that concession. They cover all of the good spots along the River fairly well making it hard for resident hunters to compete. That area is great for bears and goats, I didn't find it all that great for elk and moose and didn't see much in 7 days there. I think there are much better areas available for horseback hunters.

Good Luck

Blair
08-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the reply 264mag. Anyone else have anything to say about the area?