PDA

View Full Version : 3-16 A Goat hunt success? Stein valley, east of Lytton

BiG Boar
08-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm posting this for a friend who is planing of going in for goats. He's never been to the area, but is an avid hiker. He has done a lot of preparation for the hunt, has all the right gear, maps, trails, and what not. He doesn't want to post for fear of the same old complainers about "why would you apply for an area you've never been to." Frankly its not my draw, so you can complain all you want to me, but I won't tear up. The fact is, he's going either way, but if there is anyone who is willing to offer advice on current conditions or trails or roads, or the big fire if the roads are even open. Or if there is someone who has been successful, it would be a great boost of confidence. I just figured I would ask for him, because quite frankly, he needs all the help he can get.

wideopenthrottle
08-25-2015, 12:11 PM
this isn't one of those "I have a friend" when you actually mean yourself is it?...heheheheh

Whonnock Boy
08-25-2015, 12:15 PM
I think it's legit. BBoar only bribes LEH officials for Roosevelt elk, and bison hunts. ;)

this isn't one of those "I have a friend" when you actually mean yourself is it?...heheheheh

BiG Boar
08-25-2015, 12:44 PM
There are way easier places to find a goat. I have 3 already and don't need this sort of adventure to kill another one. I would not recommend anyone applies here. The outfitter doesn't even hunt this zone. But this guy is willing to go for a hike rather than just give up on the tag.

604redneck
08-25-2015, 01:37 PM
There are good goats in the area....

vortex
08-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Not to picky but the Stein and 3-16A are west of Lytton... not east

burger
08-25-2015, 09:12 PM
I think he can access the valley from the duffy lake rd side. Up the blowdown FSR orthe Vanhorick FSR. I haven't been there in a while but I dropped my old man off about 10 years ago to hike from the alpine down into the stein valley. I was able to get him right up and over into the head water area.

HarryToolips
08-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Got the draw for 3-16 zone G, just on the other side of the Stein (North) 2 years ago..for family reasons only got to hunt there for one full day, but I saw a goat and put a 5 hour stalk/climb to get to where he was..didn't get him but at least I can say they are in the area, just gotta climb and glass lots once high I found...

Use google maps to find the way to the cable ferry to cross the Fraser, once across I believe your right there at zone A of 3-16..you will be traveling through the Reserve once across..I just waved to everyone that was looking at me and even though my brother and I were in full camo, they all seemed very friendly..

HarryToolips
08-25-2015, 09:21 PM
And yes 3-16 is all on the West side of the Fraser, the cable ferry is the easiest way to cross as far as I know..

David Heitsman
09-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Can't you cross the bridge at Northbend and drive up the west side of the Fraser to Lower Koiek. It's been a few years but I was able to drive to the lakes last time. The Upper Koiek road was
de-activated and the bridge removed within 1 k of the turn off. We killed one (goat) in there about 10 - 12 k up the Upper Koik and then climbing the mountain ridge towards Litton. It's be a long hike to where they are now but we used to be able to drive almost to Mt. Skihist.

bangbangkhan
09-02-2015, 02:59 PM
the FSR are not in good shape...depends which way he wants to go into zone A....i did it last years and its not really that brutal as long as you are regular hiker and have minimum 5-7 days.

BiG Boar
09-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Well it was a success. He went. He saw goats. He learned that goats are a real trophy that are hard to get. But he enjoyed himself.

bangbangkhan
09-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Well it was a success. He went. He saw goats. He learned that goats are a real trophy that are hard to get. But he enjoyed himself.

so you guys got one?

ElectricDyck
09-15-2015, 03:50 PM
BB is saying "his friend" saw goats, didn't get one and learned in person how hard it can be and enjoyed the the challenge.

Grumpa Joe
09-15-2015, 03:52 PM
I am the " friend". Thanks to Big Boar for doing me a favor and sitting down and talking to me about his goat hunting experience, offering advice as well as finding a contact who had local knowledge. The individual was amazingly gracious, generous and and spent 5 days with me showing me the ropes in this area. Did some exploring, saw goats, made a 3 hour climb up talus slopes to try to get at a big Billy but couldn't get an angle on him as I got cliffed out. Climbed down in an hour and a half, looked up and the b@$&@#d was still sitting there comfortably on his inaccessible ledge. Made another 14 kms, 4600' (x2, up and down) vertical round trip hike that we had to call because of treacherous conditions.

On the downside:

I wasn't able to connect on an animal. :sad:

On the upside:

I saw some spectacular scenery
I challenged myself physically (I've been hitting the gym 3 times a week and running 3 times a week for the past 15 months and I can't imagine trying it without having done that preparation)
I learned the importance of having good gear (I had acquired stuff that I had found through personal research and advice of some HBC members)
I acquired some great memories

AND

I was fortunate enough to get the kind of support from hunters out there that I had hoped to get when I joined this site almost 10 years ago.

I don't know if I will be able to go on another goat hunt due to work circumstances and age factors (I ain't dead yet but it certainly gets tougher as the clock ticks) but if I do get the opportunity and I am able to swing it I will certainly go.

Thanks again to all that helped, you know who you are especially Big Boar and my new, unnamed friend (name withheld for privacy sake).