PDA

View Full Version : Game cam advice

donny.brooke
08-24-2015, 04:48 PM
The old clunker moultrie packed it in and looking for a new one. Kinda liking the uway 400 its on for 269 at Grouse River. Any good or bad on these. Or other cams i should look at.

hunterkyle
08-24-2015, 05:06 PM
My younger brother has one of the fancy u way cameras and my new bushnell trophy hd (I think) has a way better trigger speed, takes better pictures and has a bunch of options the u way doesnt. Think they are about the same price range as what you are looking at.

GrouseRiver
08-27-2015, 08:37 AM
donny.brooke

A few of our guys have been using this exact camera and have been pretty pleased with it thus far. I've posted a few of the photos they've taken on our Facebook page if you'd like to see an example: https://www.facebook.com/GrouseRiver/photos/pb.294715327247422.-2207520000.1440689638./965039116881703/?type=1&theater

Also, I just picked up the 600 version and was playing around with it last night. Really user friendly to set up and program, but have not had the chance to test out the "send" function yet. So far, I've been fairly impressed with the product.

That said, we also just received a shipment of Spypoint Cameras too, and while I've not had the chance to get my hands on one of those yet, that would be another great option for you.

Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer for you on either of those cameras.

Justin Paterson - Community Ambassador

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
08-27-2015, 09:05 AM
I have the new Uway 600 . i did a little review on it on a previous post somewhere . my biggest complaint is the cell service . make sure you have good service , it has the same pick up as a iphone . and i dont use one . i use a samsung . it gets better service . and its sensitive to light . as in yard lights , or the rising and setting sun .

Stainless
08-28-2015, 10:12 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1046059-REG/browning_btc_1xr_range_ops_xr_series.html great deal great camera. Even with the dollar where it is.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Anything on sale for under $100. Too many grow legs.

Elkaholic
08-28-2015, 04:51 PM
I always go for the mid priced moultries, they always test better and get rated better than the super pricey ones and have been great. m-880 is the new equivelent model to what I am running. But to each their own, there are plenty other of good cameras out there. Another good kind is the new primos ones, apparently really good cameras for the price.

caddisguy
08-28-2015, 07:05 PM
I try to stick with cams under $100 and find the "Simmons Whitetail" series (4 to 6MP) to be excellent. 4 AA batteries and they're still at 3/4 after months and hundreds of 30 second videos later. I've had them roughed up by bears but so far none have broken after a couple years of service.

donny.brooke
08-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Picked up the force 12 spypoint from Grouse River. Has the viewing screen built in and that was the deciding factor.

caddisguy
08-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Picked up the force 12 spypoint from Grouse River. Has the viewing screen built in and that was the deciding factor.

That is pretty handy. We ended up buying a cheap $60 7 inch tablet so when we hike into our cams we just move the videos off the trailcam sd card onto the tablet, pop the card back into the trailcam and start hiking to the next one.

I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve when we have a few hours worth of footage copied to the tablet and not knowing what kind of surprises we'll see. Sometimes I'll take a sneak peak, but at the end of the day we'll play through it all while having some snacks and a couple beverages.

Leaving Wednesday for a 5 day trip and we'll be getting to all our cams. I'm stupid excited already. One of the cams, I haven't checked since mid June and the other two we haven't checked since July 18th. Hopefully they are all still up and running. We've had a few knocked down or poorly re-adjusted by bears. Might have some full sd cards too.

luckofthedraw
08-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Anything on sale for under $100. Too many grow legs.

Sound advice right there.