PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone hunted around Harrison Lake before?

Eichelherr
04-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Im planning on hunting around Harrison lake next fall, does anyone know of good road access so I can go as far as possible into the surrounding country? I hear there are alot of bear, and blacktails around there.

Also anyone know how far bobcats come into the greater Vancouver area? I heard they are around hope, but do they come closer?
________
Hemi-6 Engine (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine)

Mr. Dean
04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Only made one trip up the west side. I camped off the main and chased a big set of deer tracks for three days. The last night there, that buck had the nerve of walking through my camp.

Can't help ya for the info you seek. Sorry.

Phil
04-27-2007, 02:40 PM
There is excellent raod access in that area. I recomend getting a backroads map of the general area to help plan your hunt. Do lots of summer scouting. Don't know about cats in that area.

Mr. Dean
04-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Phil's correct - LOTS of roads in the area and a map-book is sound advise.

Years ago I saw a Bob near Weaver Lk.

twoSevenO
04-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Mr.Dean you ever actually see any of these deer, or just the tracks?

i fish in that area quite frequently, but have only ever seen 2 deer (really close to weaver lake too). lots of black bears seen, just not many deer.

rollingrock
04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
There're a lot roads in that area, but they're pretty bad. You need a 'built tough' truck to hunt there, or get yourself a quad.

bsa30-06
04-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Harrison East, the road goes along way back with lots of spurs some will require you to get out and put some miles on your boots.Good luck

30-06
04-27-2007, 06:17 PM
There're a lot roads in that area, but they're pretty bad. You need a 'built tough' truck to hunt there, or get yourself a quad.

im guessing he means a Ford:)

Steve
04-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Lots of bear around harrison. Bobcat all through the fraser valley. Have spotted them Chilliwack mt. Vedder mt. Chilliwack lake and Harrison lake. I followed one walking up chilliwack lake rd. by the prisons for quite a ways.

twoSevenO
04-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Lots of bear around harrison. Bobcat all through the fraser valley. Have spotted them Chilliwack mt. Vedder mt. Chilliwack lake and Harrison lake. I followed one walking up chilliwack lake rd. by the prisons for quite a ways.

seen many tracks in that area when steelhead fishing after the first snow falls .... too big for a cat, too small for a cougar :lol:

rollingrock
04-27-2007, 09:34 PM
im guessing he means a Ford:)

Anything, anything....with a 3' lift + big ass tires and undercover armor. But spurs in Harrison area are brutal. :lol: :lol:

sparky300winmag
04-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I bagged a three point up there a couple of years ago taking my kids out for there first ride along, but the roads are nasty and alot of growth.I recommend a quad.

ruger#1
04-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Yes there are bobcats in the valley, Have one here in mission, seen him last year, he is still around, one of my neighbours was complaining that it was killing his ducks.

Mr. Dean
04-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Mr.Dean you ever actually see any of these deer, or just the tracks?

i fish in that area quite frequently, but have only ever seen 2 deer (really close to weaver lake too). lots of black bears seen, just not many deer.

That scene I posted happened late in the season (Nov/Dec). Never saw the critter, but with the fresh dusting of snow each day,,, the tracks were smokin hot.

This was above 20 mile bay.

Never hunted or visited the area again. I found the traffic to be more than I cared for.

bsa30-06
04-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Mr.Dean hits on a good point when he mentions the traffic in the area.Lots of quads and motorbikes in the area and stay home on long weekends cause it's insane up there on the holiday weekends.If your worried about your truck do as i do and get out and use your boots thats what there for.Last year a guy drove up one of the roads i hunt frequently and saw a 2pt and 3pt but the road was so bad by the time he was able to stop and park the truck they were gone, they will not hang around long.If you find a good spot and sit and wait they will walk right by you, had 2 does walk by at about 20 yards and stand right in front me a couple years ago.I have never seen a bear in the area but i know people that have camped up there and had problems with them.

Phil
04-28-2007, 02:14 PM
I was in the general area two weeks ago looking for bears and watched three blacktials while I ate my lunch. I might head there tomorrow but if not the following weekend for sure. I'll let you know what we see.

rollingrock
04-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Mr.Dean hits on a good point when he mentions the traffic in the area.Lots of quads and motorbikes in the area and stay home on long weekends cause it's insane up there on the holiday weekends.If your worried about your truck do as i do and get out and use your boots thats what there for.Last year a guy drove up one of the roads i hunt frequently and saw a 2pt and 3pt but the road was so bad by the time he was able to stop and park the truck they were gone, they will not hang around long.If you find a good spot and sit and wait they will walk right by you, had 2 does walk by at about 20 yards and stand right in front me a couple years ago.I have never seen a bear in the area but i know people that have camped up there and had problems with them.

There're goods and bads in both ways. With truck/quad you can cover more spots during one period of time, let's say in the morning. But when you spot something on a steep narrow bumpy spur, you've got no chance. And this has happened to me a lot. Harrison's cross ditches are mean. Be preared to get your ball/U joints busted.

bsa30-06
04-28-2007, 06:08 PM
There're goods and bads in both ways. With truck/quad you can cover more spots during one period of time, let's say in the morning. But when you spot something on a steep narrow bumpy spur, you've got no chance. And this has happened to me a lot. Harrison's cross ditches are mean. Be preared to get your ball/U joints busted.

Agreed. If i was bear hunting out that way i would like to be able to use my truck as much as possible to cover lots of ground, while i'm blacktail hunting out that way i prefer to use my truck to get close to where i want to go and get out and hike in quietly.There thats what i was trying to say the first time.Two different animals hunted in completely different ways.:lol:

Phoneguy
04-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Going out today. If you are out there and see a black dodge 2500 with a high rise canopy say hi.

James

bsa30-06
04-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Going out today. If you are out there and see a black dodge 2500 with a high rise canopy say hi.

James

Phoneguy, are you going east or west side?Maybe you can give us a road condition update.Good luck.

ruger#1
04-29-2007, 08:49 AM
wow its going to be crowded up there come fall, need keys to some gates.

bsa30-06
04-29-2007, 09:06 AM
wow its going to be crowded up there come fall, need keys to some gates.

Thats why i'm going to come over and hunt your area.:lol:

ruger#1
04-29-2007, 09:12 AM
if you bring the torches, they are Helli logging up there. seen them yesterday.they also put a gate on a steep hill. now that cattermole timber is no longer , there should be allot of gates coming down. the only draw back to that is , roads wont be maintained. not to much talk about Sylvester road up by Salisbury lake, lots of new cut blocks up there to. lots of weekend warriors to.

Phoneguy
04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Phoneguy, are you going east or west side?Maybe you can give us a road condition update.Good luck.

Headed up Chehalis FSR taking a bunch of spurs. Got as high as 605M, some snow piles still on the side of the road but everything was greening up. Did not get as far as Chehalis Lake. Pulled off at a roadside gravel quarrry, set up a target area and plinked and banged. Two hounds with tracking collars came to visit. One left shortly after, but the darker one wanted to adopt us. Saw no sign so we thought we would head down and try further up the lake. On the way down we saw this little guy presenting a nice broadside while eating clover:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Phoneguy_Canuck/Hunting/BearHuntingApril292007025.jpg

We had the scope on him, but decided he was to small, probably a 2 year old. Also we were pushing the closeness to the pavement, so we just watched him.

Next we went up Fleetwood FSR. Found lots of likely area but did not see anything. Passed another fellow who reported seeing a bear further up that morning.

Roads were passable, but left me wishing for a softer suspension in spots. Fleetwood FSR was definately in better shape than Chehalis. Did get one bush stripe on one of the spurs.

A great day, and only a few sprinkles....Nice to get the city out of the system for a few hours!

James

bsa30-06
04-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanxs for the update, James.I usually hunt along the east side of the lake alot but have been busy with work alot lately, so i ahven't had a chance to get out yet.