PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed! What backup rifle should I get?

AlexPdHJ
08-23-2015, 02:15 AM
Hello everyone,

So, here is my dilemma. I want to purchase a rifle to bring along with me hunting as a backup in case I drop my rifle and shatter my scope. Currently I have a Browning X-Bolt in .30-06 Stainless stalker with a fluted barrel and faux-carbon fibre stock. I love it. It works great for me. It is a tack driver, weighs nothing, and I know it inside out from my extensive time at the range. It will continue to be my primary rifle. So, let's say I am in the bush and in typical accident prone fashion I drop it and the scope is shattered. I need something at hand so my LEH doesn't go to waste. I also don't just want the exact same thing again. Perhaps another calibre or type of firearm. Rifles I am considering are:

1) Robinson Arms XCR-M. It would be cool to have a .308 semi, but it is really expensive!
2) Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308. Entry level heavy barrel rifle which would be nice since when I go to the range my .30-06 heats up really fast, but it also cools down fast. Heavy barrel will heat up slower, but also cool slower, so is it really worth it?
3) Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.1. Beautiful piece of history and antique, but do I really want to drag it into the bush? I would be worried that I would damage it.
4) M14. Wide range or versions and price points. Proven performance. I just don't like the look of it to be honest. It would be an unloved addition to my locker.
5) Larger round. 300 WM, .338 Lapua....etc. I don't know if it is worth it since I don't have a place to go play at +500m and .30-06 is plenty of gun for me.
6) Alberta Tactical Modern Hunter....Out of my price range when I am sober.

What else should I consider? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Amphibious
08-23-2015, 02:23 AM
You're over thinking this. If you want another rifle, buy one! An M14 or Robarms? Really? you want to luck those 4moa 12lb boat anchors around on a hunt? Investing in better optics, rings and/or a padded scope cover (if you're that worried) is probably the better route. Had a few good rifle drops, never affected my hunt.

How about an UltraLight rig in a short action? something in 260 or 7-08? Rem M7 or Kimber? Drop a nice little 2-7x33 on the roof for those walk in hunts. Or go Big, something .338 on up? Sadly you bought the most practical BC Cartridge there is, so "filling a void" will be difficult.

BTW: If it's the factory stock from browning it's not carbon fiber, it's hydro dipped. Just like the white trash camo on the Wby Vangaurds' isn't really made of Skulls....

AlexPdHJ
08-23-2015, 02:31 AM
Hahaha I know it's not actual carbon fibre. It is just carbon fibre appearance and name only. (see edit above now :P)

AlexPdHJ
08-23-2015, 02:33 AM
Like I said, a 4 MOA boat anchor would never be my primary rifle, but I don't have a hunting calibre semi in the cabinet, so there is a void to be filled there 8-)

bearhunter338-06
08-23-2015, 06:40 AM
I would suggest a Ruger N77 Hawkeye in 338 Win Mag or the same rifle in 25-06 Remington.

What LEH did you get?

sparkes3
08-23-2015, 07:32 AM
get something with open sites then you don't have to worry about its scope as well

john.b
08-23-2015, 07:46 AM
I would look at a tikka t3 in 338

.264winmag
08-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Picked up a savage 111 LRH in 338LM, $1100 before tax. Cheap bushnell elite tactical 10x scope, fairly capable out to 1000yds if you find a spot to shoot. Can't think of a finer round for elk to grizz, although I've yet to take an animal with it yet. Just going by the numbers, looks pretty devastating on paper and a riot to shoot. Reloading it for $2.25/round. Pretty pricey to shoot factory stuff however.

warnniklz
08-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Buy all... then a lot more

Boner
08-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06. That way you don't forget bullets for it. CRF action and lots on the market to be had for a reasonable price.

bearheart
08-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Get cheaper rifle, same calibre, zero rifle with ammo you use in your primary rifle. Same barrel length. Then practice more with the money you save compared to different calibre rifle. You will be familiar with trajectory of load. Horse breaks your first rifle, no problem, you are ready to go with #2 rifle , easypeasy:cool:

Ry151
08-23-2015, 09:01 AM
You dont hunt with a buddie that could lend you his for the day? Dont see the need to buy a rifle for a spare, browning is a good rifle and if its topped with good glass then you should have no issues. If you have the need/ want for another rifle then i would spread the calibers out . For example i have a 300wsm and a 375h&h

northernguy
08-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Get cheaper rifle, same calibre, zero rifle with ammo you use in your primary rifle. Same barrel length. Then practice more with the money you save compared to different calibre rifle. You will be familiar with trajectory of load. Horse breaks your first rifle, no problem, you are ready to go with #2 rifle , easypeasy:cool:

Wise advice...a very sound plan!

Sofa King
08-23-2015, 10:10 AM
if you are concerned about dropping your rifle and "shattering your scope", I'd recommend upgrading your scope to something other than lego.
I've slipped in the snow and wet ground and literally my whole body slammed down on the rifle scope first into the ground beneath us.
never broke anything and still shot fine.

a back-up rifle is never a bad plan though.
can never hurt to have one in the truck.

Good Old Outdoors
08-23-2015, 10:19 AM
A 300wsm, light loads for smaller game and heavier loads for everything else.

SSG-man
08-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Pack another scope and those little laser sighters.
Be zero'd in minutes.
Lighter than packing another gun?

180grainer
08-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Like some suggest, carry an extra scope. Put quick release mounts on your rifle, sight in both scopes with quick release rings and you're ready to go. If you do much backpack hunting, you're most likely not going to carry another rifle with you. You might be able to carry a second scope. Having it already dialed in with quick detach rings means popping one off and putting the other on in a matter of seconds.

Fred1
08-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Ya do the backup scope and quick release rings. A second gun is just extra weight and volume. When I guide I have the option of taking a second gun - but I can leave it in camp and its never hard to get if needed. Well there is never any shortage of extra guns in camp. As for being way out there and you damage your rifle or scope, ya it could happen. If you have the ability ie horses or machines - to carry a second gun its not a bad idea - use a hard case like the gun boot. its pretty easy to damage something with beasts and machines involved. I would stay with the same caliber and bullet choice - even the same make of gun if you like it. If it works keep it simple and don't change it.

Iron Glove
08-23-2015, 12:49 PM
My go to rifle is a Remington 700 BDL with QR mounts.
If there's a scope problem, off comes the scope and I can use the iron sights.
The idea of another scope is a good idea - do you really want to be packing around an extra rifle?
If you really, really want to carry another one, look for a single shot H&R, NEF, Baikal or similar in the same calibre. Smaller, easier to pack.

HeadingOutside
08-23-2015, 01:02 PM
You just want us to enable your habit?! ;)

If you want a real answer to your question and it is your backup/truck gun I would just buy a savage axis 2, throw a decent scope on it. They are cheap, durable and can put a bullet in an inch at 100 no problem. Now, you won't like that answer because you wanted us to tell you to get a fancy rifle but that's the truth.

happy hunting!

Fella
08-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Are you planning on throwing yourself down a mountain or something? Haha I've heard of a handful of stories where guys have fallen and shattered their scope. Unless you're looking for a way to justify the purchase of a new rifle to your wife/girlfriend...

I'd buy something in the same calibre so you don't have to carry twice the amount of ammo. If it's just a backup gun, go for something inexpensive like a savage 111 or something. In all honesty it'll probably end up just being a safe queen anyways because why on earth would you pack 2 rifles around?

.264winmag
08-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Don't think the idea is to be packing two rifles around at all, more for redundancy at camp or in the truck. I've always brought two rifles on camping trips, can't hurt. The axis is a great idea also, but the same caliber meh. Might as well go down to something flatter shooting or bigger for more energy IMO. I did both and got rid of the 06' all together...

AlexPdHJ
08-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Probably the logical suggestion is to bring a second scope. Right now I have a Vortex HST on my rifle and I have a Zeiss Terra in a box at home with rings and everything. I could just bring my other scope.

Just to clarify and add a few things.
1) I want to add another rifle to the collection anyways, something different than what I have.
2) I won't be using it for hunting unless I damage my Browning in some way. It will mostly be used at the range and sit in its case back at camp while I am hunting.
3) I reload, so my brass is fire-formed to the chamber of Browning so I can't share ammo with another .30-06, therefor there is no advantage for me to get a .30-06

Anyways, great suggestions and comments everyone.

Amphibious
08-23-2015, 03:39 PM
3) I reload, so my brass is fire-formed to the chamber of Browning so I can't share ammo with another .30-06, therefor there is no advantage for me to get a .30-06

Full-length size your brass and it will fit just fine.

Buck
08-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Something in 243 good for Deer Black bear, moose and an excellent varmint cartridge.

Brew
08-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Buy a Winchester extreme weather in any caliber you choose then you will have a new rifle and I bet your browning will become your backup. All the semis you listed wouldn't be much good as a hunting rifle in my opinion. I even owned a xcr.

Ohwildwon
08-23-2015, 05:27 PM
How about a 30-30 lever action, with iron sights? Lots of fun practicing at the range!

RiverRunner
08-23-2015, 09:56 PM
nightforce scope…...

it won't break

cpearen
08-23-2015, 10:03 PM
Buy a ruger precision rifle in either a .308 or 6.5 CM
folding stock too

Mine is on order already in a .308

Everett
08-23-2015, 10:16 PM
I usually bring a 9.3x62 as a back up rifle on trips it has a low mag scope with detachable mounts and iron site. I like it with iron sites when walking in on a kill site in grizzly country. It also serves as a spare if anyone in our group has a rifle issue on a trip.
A marlin 45/70 or even 30/30 with a low mag scope would be another option doubles as bear medicine as well a spare.

IslandBC
08-23-2015, 10:59 PM
its probably cheaper to buy a gym membership

Gateholio
08-23-2015, 11:08 PM
You want a range gun that can be pressed into service for hunting in an emergency. correct?

option 2 sounds the best to me. You'll enjoy shooting it at the range, you'll get lots of trigger one on it, and while you won't be taking it sheep hunting, you could use it not too far from the truck.

wideopenthrottle
08-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06. That way you don't forget bullets for it. CRF action and lots on the market to be had for a reasonable price.

same here...I like the idea of only having to carry 1 caliber of ammo

nevermind..I saw your post on the fire formed brass

Edge
08-24-2015, 09:35 PM
i'd take it one more step and duplicate the rifle that you have already. If it's that good to you and you just want a back up then get the identical rifle..My $.02

weatherbyjunkie
08-24-2015, 09:37 PM
get something with open sites then you don't have to worry about its scope as well

I second that! I've been considering one of the Sako's with open sights myself

BRrooster
08-25-2015, 06:50 PM
The Savage Axis is a good inexpensive option if you want to pick something in the same caliber, which makes a lot of sense. One kind of ammo to worry about.
But since you reload Id go with something in the same bullet caliber .....say a 300WSM. Then you would have the bases covered for Deer sized game and "Magnum" sized game. Load 180g's in both rifles and you got it covered. Your back up for deer hunting will be the 300WSM and your back up for Moose and Elk will be the '06.

mnholt
08-25-2015, 10:12 PM
your camp rifle should be your backup rifle.. I always have a handy lever in camp, I have a few but always bring the 45-70 and practice with it out to 100yrds a few times a year, I hand load hornady 325grn ftx bullets for it.

Zedbra
08-25-2015, 10:41 PM
I had a 30-30 lever for my back-up hunting rifle but never needed it - so I sold it. I now just take my 7mm rifle and a 20g semi-auto shotgun. The shotgun is used for grouse while hunting and if my rifle somehow breaks, I have a fist full of slugs for the 20g 'just in case'.

riflebuilder
08-26-2015, 06:26 AM
I have a 22 rf Ruger 10-22, a 223 single shot Ruger #1, a Savage 25-06, 6.5x55 26" fluted barreled MRC custom, 6.5x54 Krag, 6.5x50 Jap, 6.5x55 swed AG42, 303 Brit sporter, 303 jungle carbine, Rasheed 7.62x39, 8x57 Manlicher custom, 8mm Gibbs, 325 WSM MRC, 340 wby MRC......a few more plus shot guns pistols and other toys. So if you want a back up gt something different. It is fun to walk into the gun room look at the wall and go hmmm what flavor today. Don't get me wrong vanilla is one of my favorites but there are times when I just have to have Rocky Road.

GoatGuy
08-26-2015, 07:43 AM
If the concern is smashing the scope put some iron sights on it and spend the rest of your money on hunting............

TreeStandMan
08-26-2015, 03:57 PM
It seems to me that a backup rifle should be in the same caliber as the rifle it's backing up, then juggling ammo is one less thing you have to worry about when you're out in the field. Also, I like a cheep and cheerful firearm for my back up, something like a Ruger American or Marlin X7. You might as well save the big dollars for the primary rifle you're going to use 95% of the time.

I'd follow the same logic for the scope, and go with a Vortex Diamondback, which is perfectly functional but not overly spendy.

.264winmag
08-26-2015, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=AlexPdHJ;1673170]Hello everyone,

I also don't just want the exact same thing again. Perhaps another calibre or type of firearm. Rifles I am considering are:

Not the same rifle!

Ive always wanted an ultralight too, kimber mountain ascent or adirondack, savage LWH, tikka superlite, something light recoiling but fairly flat shooting. .260rem or 6.5CM for my next rifle. Good for longer mountain shots but still do in a pinch for moose/elk etc at moderate range. Back up rifle might as well have a niche!

Salty
08-26-2015, 04:45 PM
A real light rifle makes a great plan B or backup rifle. Had a Salvage LWH but cut it loose cause it wasn't stainless and I live in the rainforest. On a whim I picked up a Ruger American stainless compact last winter in 308 for cheap. A little screwing around and the sucker shoots great! I took it along as a back up rifle recently and packed it a lot. Ultimately though I want something higher end like an ultralight Kimber or such only because I'm a gun nut and I have the attention span of a gnat!! :mrgreen:

curt
08-26-2015, 06:35 PM
id say buy the same gun you have in 300wsm then keep that has been odd 6 as your back up!!:)

Ltbullken
08-27-2015, 09:22 AM
A lot of those options are really heavy and may not be something you want to lug around the bush all day. Maybe consider something in a quarter bore like 243, 257 Roberts, 260, etc. Good for deer and great for the range. If you want something that you may have to use on a large animal, maybe a 270, 7-08, 280? Although, I took an elk with my 260 and a 130 gr TSX bullet DRT a few years back. You can get 140 gr bullets for a 6.5 as well. Heck! Why not a 6.5 Swede??!! Quite a few hunt with a 6.5 Swede and nothing else. Or, (I like the idea posted earlier too) another 30-06 so at least you don't have to worry about a different type of ammo? If you really want a semi-auto, check out the Benelli or Browning semi-auto's. Not too heavy for the bush. If you're looking to dump mags through barrel though (don't try that with the above or you'll wreck the barrels!), go with a Norinco M14, or the real deal Springfield ($$), but just know that it will carry like an anchor and accuracy will be second-rate (not so much with the Springfield)...

DANOSON
08-27-2015, 10:58 AM
I have A Bolt 338 primary and A Bolt 30 06 for back up. If hunting deer I just rotate the order. Mags fit both guns so can be used as spare. Dont know if the x bolt is the same or not just my 2 cents.

walks with deer
08-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Dad and I carry same calibers same ammo.30-06 338 4570 12gauge.we can grab the other guys gun or ammo and drop whatever bird or beast any time same points of zero similar scopes similar sizes.

I had a swivel mount break and damaged a scope I just grabbed my dad's gun and bblasted a caribou on the way back to camp..

I have 30 guns probably haven't counted. But you will find they cost a lot to run when you have so many different cals.
30-06 and 338 are hands down my favorite but I love 375 and even 458. And hand loaded 4570.

walks with deer
08-27-2015, 07:15 PM
I have shot deer with my 458 and moose and bear with 3006 and 12gauge. pretty much use what's in hand and hit your mark.

Fred1
08-27-2015, 08:02 PM
I have shot deer with my 458 and moose and bear with 3006 and 12gauge. pretty much use what's in hand and hit your mark.

Brilliant!

Camp Cook
08-29-2015, 06:42 AM
When heading out on a big trip where my main hunting rifles are bolt actions in 25-06/270 Wby/300RUM/375RUM my backup rifles are now usually single shot T/C Contender carbines chambered in 6.8spc/7-30 Waters/308Bellm/35 Rem/375JDJ/45-70.

But these little carbines are not readily available anymore so I recommend getting a stainless steel synthetic stocked single shot T/C Prohunter you can buy multiple barrels chambered in whatever caliber you want.

I have 2 stainless steel Prohunters with barrels in 25-06/30-06/375H&H.

BgBlkDg
08-29-2015, 06:57 AM
I prefer my hunting rifles in matched pairs, so, I am used to the specific controls, have the same loads for each to simplify things and can easily switch parts, scopes, whatever.

I do tend to handload 95% of my ammo and this means that I can carry chamberings that I just like a bit more such as my custom .280Rems. and my Kimber MA .280AI over my custom .270s....there is NO REAL field advantage, I just prefer these.I can find .270Win and .3006 anywhere, but, .280s are not very easy to find ammo for.

For two different cartridges for BC and with factory ammo a major concern, I would and have chosen the .270Win. and .338Win. for the past 48 years, a combo very hard to beat, IMHO.

liambobbi
08-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Tikka superlite

Silverado
08-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Have a set of open sights installed on your hunting rifle, and spend the money on whatever toy you like instead?