PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep highway double header

Andrewh
08-23-2015, 01:33 AM
Well let me start by telling all you guys that don’t know, finding a good reliable sheep hunting partner is probably harder to find than a good wife. I found myself looking for a partner 4 weeks before the opener this year as a few guys bailed last minute. I was pretty skeptical that I was going to get to chase sheep this year as most people need to book time off well in advance rather than a few weeks before the planned departure. Another thing that might come up if they can get the time off is what sort of shape are they in??? As luck would have it, a guy from the island, Aaron Parrotta, sent me a quick email asking if I was still in need of a partner a few weeks before the planned departure. He told me that he was having trouble solidifying a partner himself and his son who he was supposed to go with had broken his wrist...

I was very relieved when he told me that he has 2 Stones and a Cali to himself and a Booner goat from last season. He also told me that he has been on numerous other successful sheep hunts so I was able to rest assured that he knew what sheep hunting was all about.

So the plan was made, dates were set and he was on the ferry a couple weeks later to meet me at my place. We sorted a little gear, went over the area I had in mind and got to bed early for a long drive the next day. 15 hours later we were lying under a blue tarp on the side of 97 getting a little sleep before our hike-in the next day. We were up at the crack of dawn and finished off the remaining drive up to region 7...

I had picked a little bit of a different spot from the previous year as I love getting to know new areas. It was a tough call knowing that I took a 10 yr old out of a ‘honey hole’ the previous year but I wanted to stretch the legs a little more this year and Aaron was 100% game for the same. With the truck stashed in some trees on the side of the highway we started our hike at noon and ventured through the thick stuff for the next 3-4 hours until we broke out into the alpine. It was a beautiful hike and once we got out of the timber, sheep trails were evident all along the slopes surrounding us. We were determined to get back as far as possible as we wanted little to no chance of seeing other people. We got about 5 hrs back and it was time for a little bit of a snack so we dropped our bags and pulled out a Cliffbar each and had a breather. It was about 5 minutes prior to our break that I said to Aaron, “hey check out that slope over there, it looks like a sheep highway.” There was a trail through the middle of it that could have been mistaken for a mountain bike trail at Whistler. Talk about well used! I glassed the trail and followed it in both directions and low and behold, SHEEP!!! AND RAMS!!!!

I couldn’t believe it and neither could Aaron, we were onto rams right out of the gate. We glassed them up with our binos and we could tell from the kilometer away that one was worth getting closer to for a better look. We pulled out our spotters and that really got our hearts beating, “that could be a shooter!”

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2727_zpszv1ksrce.jpg

We left out bags and just took out spotters and rifles as we worked our way closer to the rams. We got to about 500 yrds and set up the spotters again to get a closer look and we liked what we saw. It looked to be a nice mature ram but we still couldn’t make age on him so we made the plan to get another 100-150 yards closer. As we used the natural rolls in the land for cover, we arrived to a new spot that put us 450 yrds away. Out came the spotters and after many looks and about an hour of time, we were able to get the perfect view to count, we made 8 and curl. “Shit,” I thought, it is day 1 out of 12 days in and I might pull the trigger on a ram already...

Aaron assured me that it was a good call and I set up for the shot. I waited about 30 minutes before he got out of his bed and he started walking towards us a little. He got to 380 yards and bedded down once again with the other two dink rams. Time to wait again and at this time it is 7:45. We were thinking that we might run out of time but just then he got up and presented me with the perfect view and the rest is history. Ram down! We were both blown away with the mass of this guy, truly a great looking ram and it had a winter coat over an 1” to 1-1/4” long to boot!!!

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2728%20copy_zpsmq84ze9c.jpg

We, I mean Aaron, capped out the ram and we packed up all the meat and took it down into the valley to set camp just as we lost light.

The next day we finished dealing with the sheep in the morning as we needed to debone and turn/salt the cape. After that we went for a little 8k hike up a drainage and did manage to see a few sheep but no rams. It was a pretty low key/rest day as the next day we had planned on hiking another good chunk of distance back as that was our original plan. We set up the meat next to a river and buried it with rocks ensuring that no direct sunlight would reach it and that it would stay cool.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2757_zpso3jcq9sd.jpg

The following morning we geared up, packed camp and headed for our next destination but a little heavier. We packed the head and hide with us and that made for a brutal hike as the next place we were heading to was up and up and up and over.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2778_zpsd3zx4uvd.jpg

Andrewh
08-23-2015, 01:34 AM
Once we got to our next camp area we looked over our shoulders and saw some weather coming in. We assumed rain but it was a winter storm!!! 50mph wind and snow. I was a little worried about my Hubba Hubba HP tent but it stayed together for us and provided shelter until the next day. The following morning we woke up to a little blue sky and we figured it was just an overnight storm so we were happy to be glassing with a clear view. We left camp and hiked to numerous areas that looked promising and sure enough the sky opened up and down came the snow and sideways 50mph wind once again. We hunkered down in some rocks to wait it out and once again the storm blew right through. We were up glassing again and determining the next ridge to climb over. We saw some rams once again but nothing that was legal. We also managed to see a 6pt caribou at 75 yrd... problem was the season opened two days later, he was safe.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2785_zpsniwdpzpj.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2788_zpsvigugb6l.jpg

Once again, another storm came through and made the call to head back to camp as we had zero viability.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2789_zpswgbwrzuq.jpg

The next morning we broke up the ice in our water bladders and made ourselves a little breakfast. We had a good idea of the area we wanted to target that day so we were off with high hopes. A few smaller snow storms came through but nothing that lasted more than 45 minutes or so. This proved to be very valuable information later that day...

At around noon in a different area I hear Aaron say to me, RAMS! We got glass on them from over a kilometer away with the variable weather and we could tell that we needed to get a better look. The only problem was that in order to get closer to them, we needed to cross a rather large slope with zero cover and a cliff on the backside of it. The rams would easily have eyes on us from 800 yards and would most likely wander off. This is where the snow storms came into play. We waited until another little snow storm came through and killed the visibility. We made our move across the slope and we were back into cover. We climbed up over top of them and got to about 40 yards from 2 legal 8/9 yr olds and 2 other 7 yr olds. They wandered up the slope past us and we then made the choice to go after the ram that was bedded under the 4 rams a couple hundred yards. He was broomed off heavy on one side and flared way out on the other, a shooter for sure! We got to about 450 yards to him as he went for a short walk as we approached and we were stuck. Couldn’t get much closer easily so we made the decision to split up. Aaron would circle back and belly crawl through the brush for about 3-400 yrds until we got to a little mound that should offer a clear shot. I kept my eyes on the bedded ram the entire time through my spotter as I also watched Aaron make his approach. It was pretty cool watching the whole event unfold. Aaron got to 300 yrds and set up waiting for the ram to stand up. It didn’t look like the ram was going to stand anytime soon and we were once again thinking about time. I watched the ram rest his chin on the ground stretched out in front of him a few times offering a great opportunity and just as he did it for the third time, I heard a crack out of the basin. I got on my spotter right away only to see the ram standing and facing our general direction. I then saw a red dot appear on the chest followed by another crack through the basin. At that moment the ram expanded a little and tipped over backwards with 4 legs sticking straight up. Ram #2 down!!!!! We had aged him at 10 yrs minimum but we had no idea that we would be counting 12 rings. A true monarch.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2806_zpslycnqym0.jpg

Andrewh
08-23-2015, 01:35 AM
We got the ram all processed and packed our bags to get back to camp. We were a ways from camp and we were just wanting to get back without a headlamp as we needed to navigate some steep mountains. We were beat after our climb up and over the mountain back to camp but we were able to make it back to camp before dark and proceeded to feast on Mountain House meals. We didn’t have any wood to make a fire for sheep so we settled for our favorite bag meals and a little scotch.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2821_zpswvkaqd0f.jpg

The next morning Aaron went to work on his ram and we made our plans to get back to my meat in the afternoon to start the trip out.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2824_zpsvliblsgu.jpg

We got to my meat stash at 1 and packed it up in my load sling and then headed for the truck! It was a very slow go with the 120-130 lbs in each of our bags. I have to say at this point that I was thrilled with the performance of the Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200 and the load sling. Kept the meat right on my back and made for a comfortable but heavy hike out.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2871%20copy_zps1eugspc0.jpg

We eventually got back to the truck 9 hours later and sure enough we dropped our packs and boiled some water for another bag meal! They never seem to get old.
Just like that, we were done. Our trip was over after 5 days and we had 2 beauty rams to show for it. It just goes to show that a little hard work, a few bleeding blisters and a little luck can get you into sheep and maybe even double-header off the highway!!!!

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/Stone%20Sheep%202015/DSCN2850_zpsamrcokbc.jpg

On the way back to the lower mainland we started to plan our goat hunt. Aaron will be back from the island in a couple weeks and we will be off for a week and a half in search of my LEH goat.

benevs
08-23-2015, 02:09 AM
Couple of beauties, congrats!

avadad
08-23-2015, 02:20 AM
Incredible story! Congratulations to both of you!

AlexPdHJ
08-23-2015, 02:42 AM
Fantastic hunt and story! I hope to one day do a sheep hunt.

Timbow
08-23-2015, 03:33 AM
Absolutely awesome double header. Thanks for sharing.

08-23-2015, 05:15 AM
Great rams! Thanks for sharing!

Rackmastr
08-23-2015, 05:55 AM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it and congrats!!

Fosey
08-23-2015, 06:29 AM
Looks good. Thanks, gets a old guy motivated to stay in shape.

bckoothunter
08-23-2015, 06:29 AM
Congrats! Thanks for the story, those are two beauties.

ydouask
08-23-2015, 06:45 AM
:D What a great way to start the day. Thank you for your story and pictures. Going prepared for the harshest weather, combined with a great work ethic sure paid off for you folks... Congratulations !

Crazy_Farmer
08-23-2015, 06:46 AM
Great write up and pics. Dreaming of sheep Lately and wished I had some time off right now.

congrats!

Wentrot
08-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Very nice job. Looks like a blast. Hoping to try for my first in 2016 if the stars align!

Brian011
08-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Congrats on a great trip! Two beauty Rams! Thanks for the story

A killer
08-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Great story Andrew!!! Perfect description of our hunt. It was such an incredible trip and so awesome to be able to cover ground when needed. A pleasure hunting with you, so keen and energetic. I look forward to many more hunts with you. Our adventures have just begun!!! Thanks again!!

Mtnhunter
08-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Great Story Andrew! And two great rams!

pg83
08-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Awesome work to the both of you! Great story and pictures and a couple beauty Rams. Thank you for sharing with us.

Bighorn hunter
08-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Wow! Outstanding pair of rams:)

.264winmag
08-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Another resident doubleheader, and off the hwy! Really encouraging, one thing to be fortunate two find two legal rams but something special to get two of that caliber. Thanks for the great story, congrats. Is it sept.3 yet?...

Everett
08-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Wow great story and congrats on finding a hunting partner.

Buck
08-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Excellent hunt congrats.These story's make missing my northern sheep hunt due to surgery a bit easier.Thanks

Rattler
08-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Way to go guys! Nice couple of Rams and by the sounds of it you earned them. Looks like you two make great hunting partners as well.

Thanks for sharing.

swampthing
08-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Great trip guys. Finding a last minute partner that was the real deal was a score!

tenrag
08-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Great story....thanks for sharing.

swampthing
08-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Great trip guys. Finding a last minute partner that was the real deal was a great score!

markomoose
08-23-2015, 08:39 AM
Both awesome rams!A lot of hard work goes into these hunts.I'm thinking next season I GOTTA give it another go as I am not getting any younger and thinner.Was up there last in 2002 and was astounded by the wildlife and scenery.Better start training today!Good job Men!

revarchery
08-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Beauty Rams, great story. I love it when a plan comes together.

goatdancer
08-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Beauty rams and a great story. That's the way to get it done.

spear
08-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Thisis what stone sheep dreams are made of!! Glad it worked out for you guys, couple amazing rams!!

Spy
08-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Nice rams great story congrats & thanks for sharing :-)

bearvalley
08-23-2015, 09:48 AM
A pair of awesome rams and a great story!

Good Old Outdoors
08-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Great story and beauty rams! I am having problems finding a sheep and goat hunting partner as well. My dad and I are going on a hunt next friday after my leh goat. We are both newbies to pack hunting but we are gonna give it an honest effort.

bcrawford
08-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Can't wait to hear the stories from your goat hunt!

375shooter
08-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Congratulations on 2 fine sheep. Your hunt sounds like quite the adventure. Thanks for sharing.

tayleoscar
08-23-2015, 10:06 AM
Great job guys!!!

Krico
08-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Nice to see a few sheep stories rolling in. No mountain trips for me this year, not sure if seeing these rams helps or hurts lol.
Great job on 2 beauty rams!

Sitkaspruce
08-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Awesome guys!!!

Two beauty rams!!!

Thanks for bringing us along and sharing your trip!! Thanks for posting!!

Cheers

SS

Hammerhead
08-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Two awesome rewards for your efforts. Great job on the write up. I've missed the mountains these past two seasons but won't be missing a third come hell or high water.
congrats guys
HH

Rock Doctor
08-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Great Rams

RD

scoutlt1
08-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Congratulations on a great hunt and a pair of awesome sheep!

Thanks for the story and pics!!

nicktrehearne
08-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Great Rams - Congrats!!

bcsteve
08-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Awesome! Great rams! So... who won? Sitka or Kuiu? lol!!

Boner
08-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Congrats guys! Looks like a couple of fantastic wall mounts and the start of a good hunting friendship.

REMINGTON JIM
08-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Congrats on 2 beauty Rams Great Storey and thanks for sharing ! :biggrin: Cheers RJ

bridger
08-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Nice Rams, nice stories, tough to walk off the highway and get two good Rams in short order.

Tron
08-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Congrats guys, sounds like a amazing hunt.

Whonnock Boy
08-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Very nice.... thanks for sharing.

RiverRunner
08-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Most enjoyable recap of your hunt. Thanks for taking the time to bring us along!
Congratulations to you both.

HuntNmemories
08-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Thanks for writing up your story and posting the pics. Congrats on amazing hunt!!

Lukeez88
08-23-2015, 07:53 PM
2 great looking rams! way to take care of business!

Husky7mm
08-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Awesome hunt, great story, thanks for sharing.

Sofa King
08-23-2015, 08:16 PM
awesome trip/story, awesome pics, awesome rams.
congrats.

one-shot-wonder
08-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Congrats to you both on a very well planned, flawlessly executed, get er done, let it all out..........online match! I have heard people using the internet to find the 'right partner'. Now I believe it!!!

Oh and wicked rams for you both! This has the looks of some epic hunts in the future.

jimzuk
08-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Great story and rams. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures

srupp
08-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Congrads..thats what determination , effort and hard work produce..great smile too..
Thanks guys..
Srupp

.330 Dakota
08-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Considering these 2 guys didnt even know each other previous to this hunt, this shows a great deal of cooperative maturity and teamwork,,,congrats and the great hunt and the friendship born from it,,,great story, great rams,,,awesome

charlie_horse
08-24-2015, 08:01 AM
Awesome story and great rams!

Mik
08-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Great story, fantastic photos, looks like a fun trip that ended way to soon. Congrats on 2 great Rams

epicZERO74
08-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Nice sheeps! Sounds like it was a great trip!

Getbent
08-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Super cool. Glad it worked out for you in finding a partner...great rams as well!
Thanks for taking the time to post

Andrewh
08-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, it was an unreal hunt.

Ya I agree with of you guys, the real trophy is finding a reliable and dedicated sheep hunting partner. Here is to all the solo guys looking for sheep hunting partners on HBC!!!! It works:)

Time to repack the bag for goat, leaving in 5 days!!!!

upongrassy
08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
congratulations to you fella's.

bridger
08-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, it was an unreal hunt.

Ya I agree with of you guys, the real trophy is finding a reliable and dedicated sheep hunting partner. Here is to all the solo guys looking for sheep hunting partners on HBC!!!! It works:)

Time to repack the bag for goat, leaving in 5 days!!!!

Agree have had same sheep hunting partner for 40 years. Never a cross word. Very fortunate. Good luck on the goat hunt.

northof49
08-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Nicely done gents....thanks for posting!

scottwh
08-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Job well done boys! Cant find a much better hunting partner than Aaron.. I got my Stone with him last year and a near book goat as well. I unfortunately couldnt make it this year so you lucked out! Nice rams and great story!
Scott

A killer
08-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks Scott. Missed you this year!! But we will do Mulies this year.

moose2
08-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Great job guys. I always love a good sheep story with nice pictures. Where is you goat draw if you don't mind me asking? I have one for 7-42 and will be in the mountains near the same time.
Congratulations on your early success
Mike

shanevg
08-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Congrats to both of you! What awesome rams! Thanks for sharing!!!

luckofthedraw
08-27-2015, 11:10 PM
Great job. Nice when things work out like that. Thanks for sharing.

noth615
08-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Great Job! should send this epic story into Eastman's hunting Journal and get some free gear with the quality of this tale!

tangozulu
09-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Great hunt and thanks for sharing. The NW part of BC and Yukon has been getting hammered with rain and snow above 2000 feet the last 5 days so I am feeling sorry for all those sheep hunters hunkered down. We should see some improvement by next week.

Chopper
09-01-2015, 08:05 AM
About time guys started posting real threads on this forum ... Another epic sheep thread. Congratulations !

kennyj
09-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Awesome job guys!! 2 great rams. Thanks for sharing your story and photos.
kenny

300H&H
09-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Incredible story, congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us.
I have a question for you. I need to get some better "rain" gear, what do you use and are you happy with it ?

TSW
09-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Really impressive effort, and a couple of beauty rams. Nice work gents.

jaeger
09-04-2015, 03:09 AM
Wow awesome hunt and great story!

kaptin
09-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Awesome story and congrats on the double header.