PDA

View Full Version : what elevation/location for turkeys???

Wildfoot
04-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Ive been driving the loggin roads from mt. baldy to just east of rock creek lookin for turks and bears. I saw one lone hen yesterday, but had no success looking or listening for birds. What elevation are they at? should i be looking in valley bottom? up near snowline?

Also what sort of forest do they live in? Should I be looking in the clearcuts? by farms? or in the thick pine/fir forests?

The amount of deer and elk i have seen is amazing! im really excited for the fall seasons!

No bear... yet :)

tracker
04-27-2007, 04:42 PM
I found them from the bottom to the top just below the snow line. Concentrate on the greened up areas first,where you saw that hen there will be more, I would hunt hard around that hen.:lol: :lol:

Listen around that area early morning [before sun up] they gobble in there roost and just when they fly down from it.

I have not personally tried it but I hear the crow call makes them gobble like crazy,good locator call goodluck

mark
04-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Yup what tracker said, crow call does work awesome to get em gobbling! I foundem fairly low, below the snow where the green grass is poking through. On the southern slopes in the nice open easy walking bush!

huntwriter
04-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Ive been driving the loggin roads from mt. baldy to just east of rock creek lookin for turks and bears. I saw one lone hen yesterday, but had no success looking or listening for birds. What elevation are they at? should i be looking in valley bottom? up near snowline?
Where you saw that one hen there are sure more. Turkeys live in flocks of up to 30 birds. River bottoms are a sure fire bet for holding turkeys. Look in places below the snowline were food is available to them. If you have access to crop farmland you are sure to run into turkeys.

Also what sort of forest do they live in? Should I be looking in the clearcuts? by farms? or in the thick pine/fir forests?
Turkeys do not live in the forest. They live near forest or on the edge of a forest. Clear cuts are a good bet to start looking. Turkeys prefer single standing trees with sturdy branches as roosting trees that permit them easy flight access. Roosting trees are always on higher elevations such as a ridge top. In the morning turkeys wander downhill to feed and in the afternoon they slowly wander back the roosting tree. Find the roosting trees and the food sources and from that figure out the traveling path the turkeys take to and from the roosting tree. If not disturbed turkeys use the same roosting tree every night.

Early in the morning, just before sun up, try some locating calls. The crow call or owl call, provided there are crows and owls in the area, are good calls that will entice a tom to respond with a gobble. Another very good call device to locate toms is a silent whistle such as used by dog trainers. Once you locate the turkeys roosting tree, set up along the travel path 100 to 150 yards away from the roosting tree. Start with soft hen talk such as yelps, clucks and purrs to try and lure a tom in to your position. Turkey hunting is very much like elk hunting as far as the calling is concerned and the setups.

Hope this info helps you and good luck.