PDA

View Full Version : hunting in Saskatchewan late season gear

mikeboehm
08-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Just wondering those who hunt Saskatchewan at the end of November what type of gear do you use for staying warm in cold cold temperatures.

I know laying is the key. Im just curious what gloves or boots you would recommend. I last went in 2013 and I used a pair of elk tracker and they were pretty good well I was in the blind I wrap them in set up ice blocker boot blankets.

For my hands im using a set of Cabelas big mitts. But I would like a nice good set of gloves I can use her walking around

mikeboehm
08-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Well im going to make a pit stop at cable's in Nanaimo to look

Citori54
08-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I used to hunt late November....some years not bad, a few years frickin brutal. Layering is the key as you say especially if you have a decent walk to your stand....you get all sweaty on the way in the sit and freeze on stand. I used to scoff at people who would take hot coffee/tea in a thermos but after spending several hours in a stand at -38 with the wind chill I wished I had a thermos of something hot. Problem is once you get cold and start shivering in those temps you can't get warm again. Worst possible thing is it makes you start to fidget. If you have the budget I hear great things about Raven Gear for sitting for long periods. I used both felt packs and 800 gram insulated boots. Foot warmer pads make a big difference for long sits. Good luck.

Rackmastr
08-23-2015, 11:38 AM
I have a Raven Wear fleece jacket that's nice and long, reversible and has a big comfy hood on it. It was not cheap, but I've owned it for over 10 years and has worked amazing for SEVERAL cold cold weather trips. Combined with a pair of overalls and some good boots, I can stay all day long with some nice layers, etc.

I love using a blind with a small heater if I'm sitting somewhere all day and its cold. Helps stay on stand, stay warm, heat up your sandwich for lunch, etc lol.

mikeboehm
08-23-2015, 10:57 PM
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/203/baffin-titan-winter-hunting-boot

anyone using a pair of these. im pretty confident im good to go with my clothing. im just trying to find a good pair of boots and gloves for sitting all day in a blind

saskbooknut
08-24-2015, 04:57 AM
Felt lined rubber boots are still not enough for me to keep warm, while sitting, at minus 30. Heat in the blind sounds like a good idea to me.
I usually hunt during the Muzzle loading season, partly because of the moderate weather.

ACB
08-24-2015, 09:48 AM
I'v got a pair of those Ice Blocker Boot blankets, they work great -32 in a ground blind all day. I know guys that have those Heater Body Suits and swear by them. Like the the one fella said once your feet get cold your screwed. I found that using a piece of that old blue foam ground insulation along with the boot blankets and insulated bib overalls and a insulated parka over your regular hunting gear and under wear works for me.

Mikey Rafiki
08-24-2015, 10:35 AM
The couple years I went I just huddled over my brunton raptor stove. One of those small fuel tanks would last a couple days in the blind and I didn't even have to wear gloves while in there, which was great for when the time came to pull the trigger.