PDA

View Full Version : Bull Moose Leh 7-28 sept 10th

hardbull
08-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Hey fellas, never hunted this area before. The older fella that was going to show us around the area has had his wife take seriously ill. We are without a tour guide, so to speak. So, I am turning to my fellow hunters for some advice and tips for hunting this area. Not looking for, nor expecting, any honey holes or anything just don't want to waste this draw. Looking to be up there for opening day. Is this too early? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. This is a long trip for us and we really want to maximize our potential for success. Thanks in advance, fellas.

Sitkaspruce
08-20-2015, 06:50 PM
I will send you a PM this weekend.

Cheers

SS

elkhunterette
08-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Yes, Sept 10th is too early, especially this year the way the weather has been. If possible wait until the 20th to 25th to go.

Daybreak
08-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Sept 10th IMO is too early unless you had pre scouted the area and knew exactly where you needed to be.

We were in there 2 years ago 4th week of September and saw 2 cows and 1 bull who was on the run before we even spotted him. Minimal sign for sure. It was still warm out and the few moose around weren't moving much. Didn't hear a single call. We covered lots of ground in all directions from the Gidegingla Lake area. There is a nice camp site right on the lake but the adjacent Germansen Landing FSR was quite busy. We went in on that road from Ft. Saint James. Pavement ends about 45 km in and the gravel from there on is sharp. You must be prepared for flat tires on any or all vehicles.

There was some current logging going on and lots of ideally aged clear cuts and willow everywhere. Great country for moose however my understanding is it is a snow belt in there and if the previous winter had heavy snow it's hard on pops. Huge zone with lots of ground to cover. Incredible amount of bear sign that year and wild blueberries by the bucket at that time of year. Keep your wits about you in terms of predators. We talked to a trapper who was shacked up by Manson Creek and he said come back in November. His words were " they are still in the high country and the wolves have been around here". I trust him as he was a really nice guy who helped us out when we ran into him on the Germansen with our second flat tire.

If I were to go back I would go late Oct when it's frost and the snows are moving in. I'd also get further in than we went. You will love the country and it is prime moose country. Timing and weather are big factors. Good luck to you.

hardbull
08-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Thank you fellas. Appreciate all the help. Please keep the input coming.

Frango
08-21-2015, 11:51 AM
We hunted it for 3 years running about 5 or 6 years ago. We pulled a bull out every year. They were all within 10 km of Skunk lake. It's probably grown up a fare bit since I was there but a nice area. Good luck.

hunteryad
08-21-2015, 12:21 PM
I'm going to that area in 2.5 weeks, I can let you know how it was when I get back. Not sure when you are going but i'll be back around Sept 25th.