PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing first bow?

smallfry14
08-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Looking to get my first bow this fall and would like some help choosing which one, or if there are any archery shops that have demo bows/shooting lanes so I could shoot some before choosing. I'd like to spend $1000 maximum on everything from the bow itself, accessories, arrows etc. thanks in advance

Stainless
08-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Take a trip down to any archery shop in your area. Guaranteed most will have a shooting lane for you to demo. Pick your price range for your bow and test what they have to offer. Everything else is whatever you are comfortable spending. Arrows, I decided to go mid-range (Gold Tip Velocity XT $59.99/6) because if I miss or break an arrow (which I've done plenty of times) it doesn't break the bank as much.
From my experience I would recommend buying a mid to high end sight and rest as I found I replaced those quickly to keep up with my progression. The stabilizer and quiver I found didn't matter as much.

In the end it all depends what fits best within your given price range.

allan
08-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Take a trip down to any archery shop in your area. Guaranteed most will have a shooting lane for you to demo. Pick your price range for your bow and test what they have to offer. Everything else is whatever you are comfortable spending. Arrows, I decided to go mid-range (Gold Tip Velocity XT $59.99/6) because if I miss or break an arrow (which I've done plenty of times) it doesn't break the bank as much.
From my experience I would recommend buying a mid to high end sight and rest as I found I replaced those quickly to keep up with my progression. The stabilizer and quiver I found didn't matter as much.

In the end it all depends what fits best within your given price range.

This x 2, if your a rookie, buying from a good archery shop that is local that will help you with all your questions and setup is worth a lot more then the savings you might get from an online store with cheaper prices. Shoot as many bows as you can before buying.

Edge
08-21-2015, 06:38 AM
+1 on buying local. Your local shop can be an invaluable source of info, coaching, assistance throughout your archery career. I think there is nothing more embarrassing and with less class than purchasing a bow/weapon from online or other big discount place then having to approach your local for help. I know my local is really good about it cause I've seen them help people who have admitted buying from "those guys" and the setup was wrong.. Imagine buying a bow from a "big guy store" and ending up with a maximum draw length on your bow 3" too short? then being told that all you need is a bigger "D" loop.......my $.02

Sofa King
08-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Only you can choose your bow.
Dont buy a bow, or anything for that matter, because someone else says they like it.
Go try a few and pick the one you FEEL right with.
Dont listen to all the crap about how its 6000fps, etc.
Go with what feels best in your hands.