PDA

View Full Version : Spot issues?

srupp
08-19-2015, 07:06 PM
I have had one group experience unsatisfactory performance last week with numerous SPOT messages.
Another group of sheep hunters also have also had their check in messages not come through...
Are there others?
I will be dealing with management and tech tommorrow..
Steven

Sofa King
08-19-2015, 07:13 PM
yeah, I sent messages before and none were ever received.
I eventually dropped the subscription and it's now an orange paper-weight.

whitetailsheds
08-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Yup. Has been 100% for the few years I've had it. Had several misses this year.

srupp
08-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Yup. Has been 100% for the few years I've had it. Had several misses this year.

Thank you.
Srupp
SPOT rep

orion
08-19-2015, 07:27 PM
I used mine a month ago and it worked fine as always.

However, I will be following this thread and hope that you can give us some feedback, Steven, as I must know it will work 100% of the time. I sometimes hunt alone and have worked out a system where I send my wife a Check/OK message where and when I leave my vehicle and I do the same when I return so she knows everything is OK. For the past four (?) years this has worked flawlessly and will cause problems if I return and the ensuing message doesn't get through.

Boner
08-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Yes I had problems with mine too. I cancelled it and they still billed me for the next year. Global star can pound sand. They have to give their sat phones away now because people are getting wise to them.

Daybreak
08-19-2015, 07:40 PM
I too will be watching for information here. I carry a Spot however I need to be checking its operation more regularly. Thanks Steven.

Chango
08-19-2015, 07:44 PM
I had an issue with a few of my spot "OK" messages not going through a while ago, until I realized I wasn't letting it sit long enough to fully complete the message cycle. I found I had to wait until the message sent light was blinking AND the "OK" button light STOPPED blinking as well. No problems since.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-19-2015, 07:48 PM
All good with mine....except it sends 'many' help messages instead of just one. All long as the crew at home knows the routine all is fine

604ksmith
08-19-2015, 07:49 PM
I believe all of my SPOT messages have gone through, however I have experienced large variations in the time it takes to send. Sometimes it's as quick as 20-30 seconds while other times it's taken as long as 3-4 minutes. All with open sky access and in a stationary position.

Scance
08-19-2015, 07:57 PM
i have had mine for about 5 years now.. up until this year was flawless.. but missed a few this spring, cant say 100% that it was the unit or operator error so to speak.. it is vital when hunting/trekking alone. interesting to hear others have issues... will stay tuned.. is there other options ?

"OK" message as well.

brian
08-19-2015, 08:09 PM
I was having issues with mine three years back or so. Unreceived messages was the big one for me. I lost confidence in it being able to send an SOS if it would only be 50% on sending out "I'm OK" check ins. On top of that I would have absolutely no way of knowing if the message was actually sent. I used to wear it on my backpack strap facing the sky, so I know it wasn't because I wasn't letting it send long enough. It also took twice as long as my GPS to get satellite reception so I figured I might have had a bad antennae. I tried going through their customer services email system multiple times for this issue but never heard anything back. Not even a confirmation of the issue email. Then it started draining batteries. It was that or I was accidentally leaving it on multiple times in a row. Its minimal interface was not great at communicating what is actually going on. After a few tries the batteries were getting too damned expensive to keep trying new packs and I was getting pretty pissed off at it and the complete lack of customer service. That was the last straw. So I cancelled my subscription and gave it to my kids. Won't go back.

edit. Other options yes. Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs). They have double redundancy on the SOS message by using both satellite and radio frequencies. This allows SAR to pin point your location precisely by using both GPS and then radio frequencies rather than just having a general GPS location. They have no subscription fees but only last a limited number of years due to battery life. They do this because they need to ensure the battery will have enough juice to send out the SOS with the power needed to get through. And they transmit with much more power. Downsides, they are only for real emergency use and generally do not allow for other messaging (this may have changed since I was researching them).

Buck
08-19-2015, 08:22 PM
My experience when i had a spot was that you need to wait the full 20 minutes when sending locations or messages.

srupp
08-19-2015, 08:26 PM
No..this is pretty recent...hunting partner had 4 days of sent messages.not getting through..I know as I was monitoring his progress at this remote lake.
Now a dall sheep teams messages have not been recieved in 5 days..and I again am the primary contact.
If something has changed we need to know..because we are relying on it.
I will get the facts from tech dept and then management .
Results will be published.
Steven Rupp

dino
08-19-2015, 08:40 PM
I have had one group experience unsatisfactory performance last week with numerous SPOT messages.
Another group of sheep hunters also have also had their check in messages not come through...
Are there others?
I will be dealing with management and tech tommorrow..
Steven
Steve I had the same issue recently to, I went into my account and found out it wasnt sending my messages to anyone. Somehow it got turned off. Spot was helpful in fixing the issue.

Sitkaspruce
08-19-2015, 08:41 PM
We have a bunch of them for work and I have my old original one and not one miss.

They are our safety line for work and if we miss an "I am OK", we would have 3 meetings and 6 Q&A discussions to talk about it........

My old original one just keeps on ticking and still is on the original set of batteries........

Cheers

SS

gamer
08-19-2015, 09:05 PM
I have only used mine a couple times this year. 2 weeks ago I sent 2 or 3 on consecutive days and only one came through.

Ozone
08-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Also watching this closely

srupp
08-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys appreciate the info.we are in this together and safety is always first..
Will get some info.
Steven

combine pilot
08-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Just used mine. It worked fine every message sent was recieved. Just like what was stated before if you do not leave it until the Ok button stops flashing the messages do not go threw.

srupp
08-19-2015, 09:37 PM
As a SPOT rep..pretty familliar with its use..good plan to check my messages send system in am also.
Steven

warnniklz
08-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Only have had classic satellite comms issues... tall ass trees, in canyons, hitting "critter down" message instead of checking in message.

The auto billing isn't cool... but yeah

HarryToolips
08-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Worked the last time I tried sending an ok message, a couple weeks ago...just gave it lots of time to send..

hunter1947
08-20-2015, 06:16 AM
I had this happen to me as well the spot message in green was sent it showed that the message was sent but my contacts never got the message on there computer.

I did find out the problem it was the batteries they where a bit low in voltage I put new ones in that spot recommended and the spot device then worked .

Just to try the spot again with my old Batt put back in and no messages went through once again I put the new batt back in and messages then where sent ,,that was the problem..

No Tag Soup Please
08-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Got my spot a month ago, sent two check in messages the first day and they sent fine and were received by the contacts. I went for a hike about 10 days ago to scout a new spot and sent a check in message to mark my spot on my tracker app thing and the spot turned green like it sent but nobody including myself received the check in message...

whitetailsheds
08-20-2015, 07:20 AM
As NTSP, Hntr 1947, and Combine Pilot mentioned, this was my issue as well. Light indicates message has been sent......but recipients indicate it not being received. Kinda disconcerting if it was the 911 message.
Will change up battery. Hopefully that's all it is.

hunter1947
08-20-2015, 07:34 AM
As NTSP, Hntr 1947, and Combine Pilot mentioned, this was my issue as well. Light indicates message has been sent......but recipients indicate it not being received. Kinda disconcerting if it was the 911 message.

Let us know if that works so others will know what the problem was..

hunter1947
08-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Got my spot a month ago, sent two check in messages the first day and they sent fine and were received by the contacts. I went for a hike about 10 days ago to scout a new spot and sent a check in message to mark my spot on my tracker app thing and the spot turned green like it sent but nobody including myself received the check in message...

Spot Representative said to me you must use top grad batt alkaline plus

Wentrot
08-20-2015, 07:37 AM
That's a bit scary if a time ever came it was really needed in an emergency situation

Swissrallyman
08-20-2015, 08:05 AM
I used spot a lot a few years ago, then cancelled my subscription about 3 years ago. Now I wanted to re-activate the unit, and they want me first back pay for the 3 years were it was deactivated ...not cool.

.264winmag
08-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Only issues I've had was not having proper email address in or not adding email to each message choice, like stated it does take time for unit to pick up satellite and for message to go through. I only run lithium batteries in all battery operated gadgets, well worth the $. Will definitely be triple checking function prior to trips now thanks for heads up.

.264winmag
08-20-2015, 08:40 AM

with my unit I'm almost certain that the light flashing with the envelope symbol indicates message being sent, once that light STOPS flashing is indication that message has gone through. I'd have to double check to be 100%...

Bubba123
08-20-2015, 08:50 AM
I bought mine a year ago at London Drugs. Couldn't update the firmware, (which it was begging me to) from any of 3 different PC's, with the supplied cable, or two others. I set up the website to send alerts to my girlfriend and son's GF, since we hunt together a lot. I bought an updated package with the rescue insurance and everything. I turn it on in the bush and attach it to my vest near my shoulder, 10 minutes later it is off. Turn it on again, it goes off after 10 minutes. New Lithium batteries and all.
No tracking on the website or anything. I sent a message to the SPOT people via the website. It took them 1 month to respond, with a bunch of questions and a recommendation to document everything and send the info back to them. That was 2 months ago.
I learned my lesson. I am out 500 bucks. I was considering buying a globalstar sat phone, but I hear they are affiliated with SPOT. So, that's not going to happen.
A fellow hunter bought an inreach device, and it worked right out of the box, and he can send text messages with it. Boy, did I ever make a mistake.

Chango
08-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Taken from spot gen2 user manual:

MESSAGE CYCLESPOT will send your message and GPS location to the SPOT network three times over 20 minutesfor maximum reliability (only one email or SMS/text message will actually be sent to your contacts).If SPOT cannot get a GPS signal, it will not send your Check-In/OK or Custom Message.

USING THE CHECK-in/OK OR CUSTOM MESSAGE FUNCTIONPress and hold the Check-In/OK or Custom Message button until the function button blinks green.The GPS light will blink green when SPOT sees the GPS satellites and continue while obtainingyour GPS location.Once your GPS location is obtained, SPOT sends your message and GPS location. The GPS lightand Message Sending light will both blink green for approximately 15 seconds. The MessageSending light continues to blink green after it transmits the most recent message and for one (1)hour after the end of the message cycle. Let SPOT work until the end of the message cycle whenthe Check-In/OK or Custom Message light stops blinking.

hntcrazy
08-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Steven
I used some spots with aviation clients and for hunting. This last summer i have since cancelled my SPOTS all 6 of them.
The customer service agent was brutal and argumentative. One friend called and wrote etc . He even got reply from president but was not resolved.
Delorme and sat phones now.
Was a good product but never again

Stone Sheep Steve
08-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Spot Representative said to me you must use top grad batt alkaline plus

I've been using lithium batteries for several years with no issues. Considerably lighter.

B.C.Boy(100%)
08-20-2015, 09:46 AM
I was given a Spot Gen3 for my birthday this year, not so sure I want to activate it after reading a ton of reviews online most seem to be stating messages weren't received by contact list.
One review stood out to me though,
Guy in States sent his personal message "All Good, staying one more day/night"
send that message three or four days in a row, as he was headed down the mountain road on the way home, he was greeted by a search party made of friends and family, they never received the messages.
What is a guy supposed to think about something like that?

Jagermeister
08-20-2015, 10:06 AM
I had an issue with a few of my spot "OK" messages not going through a while ago, until I realized I wasn't letting it sit long enough to fully complete the message cycle. I found I had to wait until the message sent light was blinking AND the "OK" button light STOPPED blinking as well. No problems since.This for sure and check your recipient addresses to make sure they are current and correct.
I tested mine a week or so ago and it worked as it should.
Also remember that you need a open sky to ensure transmission. If you are in a tight ass ravine or heavily canopied forest success diminishes and it won't matter what system you use. If you are hunt in one of those situations and are still capable of pushing the button, keep pushing the button until the batteries or you expire, whichever comes first.

Chango
08-20-2015, 10:12 AM
I would bet most people are not leaving it stationary and long enough to properly send, whats stated in the instructions. Sometimes it can take a long time, you must wait until message sent light is blinking and check-in/OK or custom message light stops blinking. I had a few solo trips where check-ins did not send, my wife was freaking out. I wasn't waiting long enough even though it sat for 10+ minutes under open skies. Now I leave it and wait until the message cycle is fully finished when checkin/OK light stops blinking and I haven't had a problem

For those who experienced issues, which model do you have?

Gen3
http://www.pilotjunkie.com/images/D/11-11503c.jpg
Gen2
http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Globalstar-SPOT-Satellite-GPS-Messenger.jpg
Gen1
https://www.findmespot.com/images/transparent_spot2.png

Jagermeister
08-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Spot Representative said to me you must use top grad batt alkaline plusLook on the back side of your SPOT and you will see "LITHIUM BATTERIES ONLY". That "representative" was out to lunch. And pack some extras in your back pack.
http://faq.findmespot.com/?action=showEntry&data=1239

Jagermeister
08-20-2015, 10:18 AM
I would bet most people are not leaving it stationary and long enough to properly send, whats stated in the instructions. Sometimes it can take a long time, you must wait until message sent light is blinking and check-in/OK or custom message light stops blinking. I had a few solo trips where check-ins did not send, my wife was freaking out. I wasn't waiting long enough even though it sat for 10+ minutes under open skies. Now I leave it and wait until the message cycle is fully finished when checkin/OK light stops blinking and I haven't had a problem

For those who experienced issues, which model do you have?

Gen3
http://www.pilotjunkie.com/images/D/11-11503c.jpg
Gen2
http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Globalstar-SPOT-Satellite-GPS-Messenger.jpg
Gen1
https://www.findmespot.com/images/transparent_spot2.png
I am still using the original Generation 1.

hntcrazy
08-20-2015, 11:14 AM
lol yes all issues with the ones we had were GEN 3...............

srupp
08-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Hmm so a significant phone time today..some later tonight with lead tech..management tommorrow..
1...lithium ion batteries are highly recomended..please use them..1 set per year.
2..send messages to proper email..precheck before leVing..practice run.
3 clear open sky..
Face with helial antena facing up
5..hit check in message..leave unit alone for 20 minutes.period.just cuz the light flashes green the algorithm is not completed.
6 the unit either works or doesnt..nor sort of pregnant idea .
7 if you have problems notify tech support..do no just throw in the towel..it should be a simple call ..have your esn number of the unit.
8 email me of any unresolved issues or questions..with ph number
Cheers
Steven Rupp
Spot Canada rep

Stone Sheep Steve
08-20-2015, 12:25 PM
3 clear open sky..

Just finished a trip where is was very limited visibility for 9 out of the 12 days. Still no issues sending signals...although we did have two spots and I did not confirm with bighornbob that his signals went through.

Bubba123
08-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Well, mine is a Gen 3 as well. I am not sure that I will want to play the hold the device just so, cross your fingers, then wait 20 mins and the device might work. I have better things to do on my hunt than have to babysit a device that just needs to work...

HarryToolips
08-20-2015, 12:38 PM
lol yes all issues with the ones we had were GEN 3...............

Mine's a Gen3, let it do it's thing for 5 minutes, worked just fine..

srupp
08-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Well, mine is a Gen 3 as well. I am not sure that I will want to play the hold the device just so, cross your fingers, then wait 20 mins and the device might work. I have better things to do on my hunt than have to babysit a device that just needs to work...

Hmmm sorry you are sending information to seperate satelights..time to return and do its job.that is the design..tons of time cooking lunch, trimming belly button moss..lol..
The time required is 20 minutes...easy..put in on a rock, ground, pack...do something else for 20 minutes..but thats the time required.
Will check my SPOT today...Tims tonight..
Steven

No Tag Soup Please
08-20-2015, 01:59 PM
So to be honest the last day I tried to send myself a check in message I waited until the envelope started flashing green and then basically right away shut it off and threw it back into my pack. With all these responses I kind of figure now that I didn't wait the full cycle or something.

I just went outside with cell service and my spot and sent my self a check in message. Within 10 seconds of the envelope flashing green I had already received the spot text with my check in message...

So now I really don't know if the other day I shut it off to soon or if it just wasn't working..

They should have it so that it doesn't turn to green until the satellite has received the message and is sending it off to your contacts.

Bubba123
08-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Hmmm sorry you are sending information to seperate satelights..time to return and do its job.that is the design..tons of time cooking lunch, trimming belly button moss..lol..
The time required is 20 minutes...easy..put in on a rock, ground, pack...do something else for 20 minutes..but thats the time required.
Will check my SPOT today...Tims tonight..
Steven

I will contact the toll free number tonight to see if they will do anything for me. Web site contact was a joke. If I get a similar response, or stupid questions about fresh batteries, I will chalk this whole thing up as a 500.00 learning experience.

Crackshot007
08-20-2015, 02:14 PM
I had issues until I figured that you had to wait until the lights all stopped and then families got their messages every time.

srupp
08-20-2015, 03:20 PM
I will contact the toll free number tonight to see if they will do anything for me. Web site contact was a joke. If I get a similar response, or stupid questions about fresh batteries, I will chalk this whole thing up as a 500.00 learning experience.

If you dont get satisfaction..service..please contact me.

On seperate note my 2 lost dall sheep hunters sent message from Whitehorse..now sober after harvesting a 10 year old dall ram in a remote Tatsenshini hunt..howe er the messages from spot failed to get to me after day 1.
Cheers
Steven

bighornbob
08-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Just finished a trip where is was very limited visibility for 9 out of the 12 days. Still no issues sending signals...although we did have two spots and I did not confirm with bighornbob that his signals went through.

As SSS said we had two spots and going through the list it appears I got all my messages. As was mentioned it pretty much rained or cloudy most days. It even appears the messages I sent while in the tent went through to, but cant positively confirm this as I don't know what times or days I sent from the tent. But there are a few days where I sent and received three messages so I assume one of them was from inside the tent during a rain event.

I use the first generation model with lithium batteries.

Had messages going to my cell, girlfriends cell and my work and personal emails and all worked.

I turn the unit on while glassing or cooking a meal and leave it on until the OK lights stop flashing. Don't think I ever had an issue.

BHB

srupp
08-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks BHB..
Still looking at some issues.
Steven

Sitkaspruce
08-20-2015, 07:35 PM
As SSS said we had two spots and going through the list it appears I got all my messages. As was mentioned it pretty much rained or cloudy most days. It even appears the messages I sent while in the tent went through to, but cant positively confirm this as I don't know what times or days I sent from the tent. But there are a few days where I sent and received three messages so I assume one of them was from inside the tent during a rain event.

I use the first generation model with lithium batteries.

Had messages going to my cell, girlfriends cell and my work and personal emails and all worked.

I turn the unit on while glassing or cooking a meal and leave it on until the OK lights stop flashing. Don't think I ever had an issue.

BHB

X2,

Never had a problem with sending messages. Just turn it on, hit the right button and leave it alone for 20-30 min. I hang mine for my pack so the antenna is actually facing out and still it works. I have the first Gen and lithium batteries (still the originals from 5-6 years ago).

I do know that there was a few problems with our 2nd gen ones for work as people were not letting it run the full 20 min+.

Run a test, throw it on the back deck and leave it for 30 min, then check the right emails. I do this every fall and spring just to make sure.

Cheers

SS

Sniperdan
08-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Following. I have a SPOT that I tested a couple times last year but have not used since. This thread is definitely concerning since we rely on these to work when we need them most!

srupp
08-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Tims unit failed again..30 yards from my computer. .
Srupp

Poguebilt
08-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Glad I went Delorme InReach ;)

westcoastal
08-20-2015, 08:02 PM
I have had mine for 6-7 years now and it has been fine until this year, I have had a number of "OK" messages not go thru - and it was sitting on the dash or the deck of my kayak all day. I am concerned that help may not be available when needed, thankful i also have a plb.

islandhunter
08-20-2015, 08:13 PM
I had the first unit when they came out, had about 15% success in sending messages in a remote area....I didnt find that out until I got back into cell range...not cool..
I got into an argument with the tech support on the phone, then cancelled it. collecting dust ever since. I would never trust my life to this thing.

.264winmag
08-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Well I guess we could all just do what the ole veterans did and go hiking without relying on all this tech junk. Good old topo and a compass. If it helps save one life it's a success. If I die in the mountains so be it:)

HarryToolips
08-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Well I guess we could all just do what the ole veterans did and go hiking without relying on all this tech junk. Good old topo and a compass. If it helps save one life it's a success. If I die in the mountains so be it:)
All I do when it comes to navigation and exploring the bush is use a map, compass, other old school methods, but that's not the point.. I bought this unit so when I'm not in cell service, I can still let my wife know I'm aok....

.264winmag
08-20-2015, 08:56 PM
All I do when it comes to navigation and exploring the bush is use a map, compass, other old school methods, but that's not the point.. I bought this unit so when I'm not in cell service, I can still let my wife know I'm aok....

Yup same reason I got one. It's not for me it's for others. My point is relying on these gadgets to be 100% foolproof is a bit unrealistic.

Nimrod
08-20-2015, 09:32 PM
I spend most of my free time in Spring and summer fly Paragliders cross county, the community uses these GSP locators to keep real time tracks of each other for safety reasons, probably 90% use spot. if anyone goes down deep in the mountains and for what ever season, hits a tree, lands in the cliffs on a mountainside, where the pilot is not able to press the SOS, the tracking feature is essential to allow other pilots to alert SAR to the location the beacon is transmitting. For the most part the Spots work quite well , this year only a couple times the transmission has been delayed 6 to 10 hours. we has a competition in July where 100 pilots where tracked every day for a week with no issues. However due to the customer service issues reported here and the occasional transmission delays some pilots are going to the Delorme InReach as there is the feature of real time texting( not pre-saved), superior customer service, and no interruptions...that I'm aware of.
seems to be the better option.

.264winmag
08-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Thanks Nimrod, I'll try that one out next season. Nice feature for real time messaging.

HarryToolips
08-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Yup same reason I got one. It's not for me it's for others. My point is relying on these gadgets to be 100% foolproof is a bit unrealistic.
Totally agree...

375shooter
08-20-2015, 10:22 PM

I disagree. I think if you pay for a service, you should get what you pay for. Do they tell you in advance that it's only 60% ( or whatever) reliable? I don't think so. I feel nobody should be defending them if their service is that bad. It would be very tragic if some poor soul was way back on a mountain somewhere injured, terrified, and bleeding to death, then dies all alone because no search party comes on account of this product not doing it's job.

.264winmag
08-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Been waiting over two hours for an email from mine. Looks like I'll have one less oz to pack into sheep country. And one less bill next year...

.264winmag
08-20-2015, 10:28 PM
I disagree. I think if you pay for a service, you should get what you pay for. Do they tell you in advance that it's only 60% ( or whatever) reliable? I don't think so. I feel nobody should be defending them if their service is that bad. It would be very tragic if some poor soul was way back on a mountain somewhere injured, terrified, and bleeding to death, then dies all alone because no search party comes on account of this product not doing it's job.

My cell phone acts up all the time. Satellite cable/internet is in/out all the time and these thinks cost ten times what a spot does. Anytime you're dealing with technology it is potentially unreliable. I'll call them, prolly talk with someone that barely speaks English for a bit, get nowhere and no refund, throw the thing in the garbage and cancel my subscription. That's the truth of the matter with tech crap.

Brno22F
08-20-2015, 11:10 PM
just returned from a hunt in Atlin. My SPOT gen2 worked flawlessly. All messages sent were received. Used both the check-in and the custom message. Used the custom message to contact the airline for an early pick-up.
Before the hunt, I put a fresh set of batteries in replacing the originals which were 3 years old. I also made sure that I let the device do it's job giving it 20 to 30 minutes each time I sent a message.

.264winmag
08-20-2015, 11:20 PM
Early pick-up? Who cares about the spot how was the hunt!
Glad to hear there's some hope for the device though...

Brno22F
08-20-2015, 11:42 PM
Early pick-up? Who cares about the spot how was the hunt!
Glad to hear there's some hope for the device though...

Hunt was great but we were unsuccessful. Came out 1 day early. Would not have had enough time to get our gear and an animal out to the pick up point. After 8 days of fog, rain, wind and Mountain House, it was time.

Bear Chaser
08-21-2015, 12:41 AM
I used a Gen 2 Spot daily for work over the last year. It hung from the rear view mirror in my truck. Always on throughout the day in Track mode. When pushing the OK button every 2 hours it worked EVERY time within minutes of being pushed. Push and Hold the button until the light blinks however its supposed to. Then leave it on to do its job.
I don't understand why anybody would turn the damn things off except at night when you are back at camp. Using Lithium Ion batteries should get you a minimum of 10 days use all day in Track mode. Start with fresh batteries and pack extras if you think they will die. The whole point of these things is to give searchers a starting point when they come looking for you. Turning it off and on throughout the day and not using Track mode may mean the difference between being found or being the main character in a sad story.

The Hermit
08-21-2015, 01:15 AM
In prep for my upcoming elk hunt will check my Spot 2 tomorrow and let you know the results. Thanks

hunter1947
08-21-2015, 03:02 AM
Low Batteries are a big issue on a spot device believe me I send over 20 spot messages and not one got to my contacts the spot device said the OK message was sent every time I sent a spot message..

For me it was just a few drops in my battery life I tested my batteries when I go home from out of my spot the voltmeter read 1.55 volts that's why my messages did not go through I put in new top grad batteries (advanced Lithium) that hold 1.83 volts problem solved..

My girlfriend was freaking because she never got an I-spot reading from me for over a week and I always send an I-spots to her and my contacts 3 times a day when I am in the bush by myself,,like I said my spot device would not send any messages to my contacts when the battery life was showing 1.55 volt and 1.55 volts is still a high reading from a AAA battery..

Just to see if it was the lower volt batteries that where the problem I tested the two different battery combinations the lower volt batteries did not send any message when I did a tested on them the hi volt batteries 1.83 did send my spot messages when I did a test,,just saying that was my problem with the spot unit..

I have the older I-spot device now for 10 years my messages are sent within a few min the message says sent I tested my device every time I am home and I never have waited more then 5 min after the message has said sent I then turn my device off a min latter after it has said sent did this for 10 years never had an issue with the Spot device till the batteries dropped a few percentages like .5 volts..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00288.JPG

This is the battery I use in my Sote device..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00374.JPG

hunter1947
08-21-2015, 03:47 AM
Just did a test on my I spot here is how it went.

First time I did a test her was the results.
#1 turn it on light was flashing for on.
#2 hold down message to send and release as soon as green light came on..
#3 A min went by the two green lights came on top of unit then after 20sec the one green GPS light on the left went out and just the one green light was on flashing saying message sent I went back into my computer no message was sent after 5 min its been 10 min now still no message from my first sent spot message.

Number two try her is how it went.
#1 turn on unit .
#2 hold down the sent button for 6 flashed holding it down then released it.
#3 both green lights top where flashing within 30sec after when I released the send button after holding it down for 6 flashes the two top green lights flashing for about 20 seconds then went over to a single green flash went into my computer looked at my computer that was open for emails message was there.

Just checked my email still no message sent from my first try its been 15min now ???.

Just did a back up test same as above the results where the same no I spot sent when I released the send button right away but when i held the send button for 6 flashes the message came through a few seconds after the two green lights on top where flashing,,my next test will be leaving the I spot on for 30min after releasing the send message button right away will let al know what happens here I go stay tuned..

I just recived my message from spot that I sent from 30 min ago regarding # two sendings so disregard all will still work on releasing the send message button right away all messages were sent to my so much for all my testing they go out the window :roll: LOL ..

One good thing came out of my tests all message were sent to me after I turned my spot device off after green light said message sent on the right that's the way my spot device has worked for 10 years using it only time like I said that I have had an issue with my spot device was low battery life hope something came out of my time and effort on these two postings ??? :lol:....

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 05:07 AM
Hunt was great but we were unsuccessful. Came out 1 day early. Would not have had enough time to get our gear and an animal out to the pick up point. After 8 days of fog, rain, wind and Mountain House, it was time.
Came out alive and were lucky enough to see that country, that's pretty successful! Gonna get myself up there some year.

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 05:09 AM
Tried two times to send check ins last night, still no email this morning. Brand new lithiums and same way I've always sent messages. No dice.

hunter1947
08-21-2015, 05:24 AM
Tried two times to send check ins last night, still no email this morning. Brand new lithiums and same way I've always sent messages. No dice.

Do you have the new spot or old one ??? try this like I said hold down the bottom send message for 6 flashes then release and see if that works ???.

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 05:28 AM
Mine looks the same as yours
tried the same way it'd always worked for me the last two years, let sit for 20 min each time. Junk. Even followed their directions right off website the second time. I remember getting the email for renewal this year but maybe they forgot to take off my visa and keep device activated...

hunter1947
08-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Mine looks the same as yours
tried the same way it'd always worked for me the last two years, let sit for 20 min each time. Junk.

Ya Ya I hear you but did you try my method ??

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 05:39 AM
Nope just checked and automatic renewal is not even up until Aug27. Don't think they'll be getting my $117.

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 05:42 AM
Ya Ya I hear you but did you try my method ??
Honestly not sure if I held the button for 6 flashes, these things shouldn't be rocket surgery and should certainly work when directions off website are followed.

hunter1947
08-21-2015, 05:43 AM
Nope just checked and automatic renewal is not even up until Aug27. Don't think they'll be getting my $117.

I just did another check with my Ispot message went through right away ,,your device you have is confusing what i would do is try another set of AAA batt in your device just to see what happens ???.

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 05:50 AM
Another $15 pack of batteries! Nope nothing wrong with the brand new ones.

digger dogger
08-21-2015, 06:01 AM
I'm Glad i have an inreach!

nano
08-21-2015, 07:39 AM
I have had no problems, are you guys doing your software updates?

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 07:41 AM
I have had no problems, are you guys doing your software updates?
First I've heard of such thing, will look into it thanks!

hunter1947
08-21-2015, 08:27 AM
I have never did an updated my I spot in the 10 years I have had it and all is working well..

blacklab
08-21-2015, 10:17 AM
I was just going to renew mine. I didn't renew the last couple of years because the tracking feature was almost useless.
Has it improved?

Boner
08-21-2015, 11:36 AM
You shouldn't have to be Arthur Fonzarelli to get these things to work. I threw mine out.

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 12:07 PM
There's hope! Received email from trying this morning, same process as always...

hntcrazy
08-21-2015, 12:13 PM
call them , I did it went great cancelled all my units.............One customer at a time and lose 6 at once!!! done .
Never again.

Jagermeister
08-21-2015, 12:52 PM
I would say that most issues experienced are of a mental challenge by the user.
On the 7th of February, 2009, the 4th Battalion, Canadian Rangers embarked on a cross country odyssey. Departing astride Arctic Cat snow machines from Telkwa BC with Churchill Manitoba as the final destination. This trip would culminate on the 16th of March with the final goal achieved.
The Arctic Cats made it with the exception of two out of about 30. The two just about made it, but were left a days ride from Churchill. And these all started at point. The contingent replaced personnel as territorial jurisdictions were met with only a few making the entire journey.
The C/O carried a SPOT. It was set to leave a bread crumb trail at intervals. SPOT worked flawlessly throughout the entire scheme. This included some very extreme sub-arctic temperatures in northern Saskatchewan and Manitoba that reached -40°C. I was able to track the daily progress and insert the positions into Google Earth and Topo Canada.
The trip was a testament to the 4th Canadian Ranger Battalion, the Arctic Cat machine and to SPOT.
I'm not going to say that SPOT is 100% flawless, but I will say that probably 90% of the issues are of a human nature. That means getting out of the gully to an open sky to send your messages.

And Wayne, that battery picture you posted is a lithium battery, not an alkaline. You knew that.

Ltbullken
08-21-2015, 01:20 PM
My SPOT Messanger has been functioning fine. Maybe people need to check their message profiles to be sure they are up to date and accurate??? My 2 cents...

Sofa King
08-21-2015, 01:32 PM
You shouldn't have to be Arthur Fonzarelli to get these things to work. I threw mine out.

so true.
just make things simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JQc9L2RbQkw

.264winmag
08-21-2015, 03:36 PM
So I change nothing from last two previous years, tried from same location at my house and get one message out of 6? Not great odds. Not the operator here trust me...

srupp
08-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Hmm tried Tims spot and mine this am both worked.putting new lithium batteries in today then on Sunday going into horsefly mountains with 2 spot units and will spend 8 hours sending check in messages myself.i use a gps and notebook to check my location, then send a message and note the time and place.results will be posted Monday.

Again if anyone is having any issues, with unit or support please send me a pm with ph number I will call and do my best to ensure your purchase was worthy, the unit is functioning, and your confidence be restored.
I use this system and rely on it..if there is a problem I want to know too.
Cheers
Steven

blacklab
08-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Is it worth getting the tracking anymore? There were a lot of big gaps when I used it last.

Jagermeister
08-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Is it worth getting the tracking anymore? There were a lot of big gaps when I used it last.
I was thinking about the tracking feature. The benefit that I can see is that your last position is available to searchers in the advent that you are incapacitated and unable to initiate the emerg button.
https://findmespot.ca/images/spot_tracker_tips.jpg

j270wsm
08-21-2015, 07:56 PM
I use mine while hunting and sledding. Never had a problem with messages not being sent.

blackbart
08-21-2015, 08:17 PM
I have historically never had a problem with mine, but after reading this thread I am testing mine. Sent an OK message from my front yard fifteen minutes ago and still no email to any of the addresses in the system. Left the unit on and it is blinking like everything is a ok. Perhaps there is just a time delay, never really thought about it before while out on excursions,.

srupp
08-21-2015, 08:31 PM
There should be no time delay..from turning the unit on..leave it on for the 20 minutes...the message is either there or not.there should not be time delays beyond that 20 minutes.
Check your file on who is on your lists, that all contacts are correct, current .
Cheers
Srupp

blackbart
08-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Okay, tried sending another message - changed nothing. This one came to me within seconds of the light blinking green, the only difference is twenty yards difference and the one that didn't come through I left the unit on for a lot longer.

nano
08-21-2015, 08:40 PM
First I've heard of such thing, will look into it thanks!

I went to set up my gen3 last week and the first email I got after I set up my account was the firmware update . I did and it's been working for me while I have been testing it the last week

Rackmastr
08-21-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm Glad i have an inreach!

No doubt!!! I'm with ya on that one for sure. This thread is a great advertisement for Inreach haha.

srupp
08-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Hmmm Inreach by Delorme..uses Irridium satellite system...identical pathway, identical satellite by identical company..the only difference? 2 way capacity..not sure if its duplex..both sides of satellite as Irridium sat phone..or it is simplex..one side of satelight..as in SPOT.
I had a couple grizzly hunter's this past spring that needed to clarify some directions so they used Inreach to contact his Father who contacted me via phone who used inreach to contact hunters.
Way cool to know exactly where they were in real time..everything was settled in minutes literally.
SPOT by itself doesnt do that..it takes a partnership with Delorme to achieve the text messaging.
So far over past 6 years no problems..not sure yet if anything has changed..the 2 way comunication defiantly has some advantages. ..however now 2 companies and their respective technology have to mesh perfectly..in the end its the satalights that enable both systems to work...the same satelights.
Steven

The Hermit
08-21-2015, 10:11 PM
Steven - As mentioned I tested my unit today. Kinda bummed out. Although it sent the check in and custom message to my contacts it also sent an SOS to Texas so I got a call asking if everything was okay. I DID NOT activate the SOS button! This happened last year too but I assumed it was user error, this year I read teh instruction manual and followed directions exactly. So I called tech support and the tech said that sending out unrequested SOS is a very rare event, said it was probably a hardware/software glitch and offered to provide a replacement for first for $50 US then dropped it to $18 when I balked, said he could have it to me by Tuesday as I'm set to leave on my elk hunt on Wed am. So I agreed... he called back about 30 min later and said that the shipping would be $50 US to get it here and they couldn't guarantee arrival by Tuesday.

He also offered to send me a credit rebate of $50 if I just went out and bought a new SPOT unit... So, I cancelled my subscription and will be receiving a $100 refund on the services package. Tossing the unit in the trash... errrr.

Now I'm looking at other options...

B.C.Boy(100%)
08-22-2015, 09:38 AM
He also offered to send me a credit rebate of $50 if I just went out and bought a new SPOT unit...

That's a load of horse crap offer, if you buy one now they have a summer rebate program, 50% rebate up until Sept 14th, 100% rebate on their sat phone,
so a $50 rebate on a Gen3 is BS it should be half of $169.99
https://www.findmespot.ca/SummerDeals/2015_SPOT_SummerRebate_Rebate_CA.pdf

Returns;
A 25% re-stocking fee, even if it was a gift, same if you want to return it to upgrade to a different model, more BS red tape that the customer has to deal with, that doesn't seem right if you would like to upgrade with them. Should be easy to do but with red tape like that leaves a bad ring in customers ear.
That was told to me over the phone as per Spot CS.

Globalstar is the satellites that Spot uses, not full World coverage, very hit n miss up North with the surveying crew, hence why they use inReach SE mainly,
Iridium satellite system has full World wide coverage - inReach.
I've seen the coverage map on Spots website, it's a tad exaggerated on it's coverage as the Gen3 has been used in northern Nunavut with limited success, usually no to very little success up there, my buddy figures 40% of the time it may have worked, as per my Northern Surveying friends experience.

Rackmastr
08-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Hmmm Inreach by Delorme..uses Irridium satellite system...identical pathway, identical satellite by identical company..the only difference? 2 way capacity..not sure if its duplex..both sides of satellite as Irridium sat phone..or it is simplex..one side of satelight..as in SPOT.

I thought SPOT used the Globalstar satellites (and Delorme uses Irridium). In any event, this thread is a VERY good example of why I love my Delorme InReach vs my old SPOT unit.

Buck
08-22-2015, 12:03 PM
I thought SPOT used the Globalstar satellites (and Delorme uses Irridium). In any event, this thread is a VERY good example of why I love my Delorme InReach vs my old SPOT unit.

Amen to that.

Gord
08-22-2015, 01:42 PM
I learned something from my dad when he uses hid SPOT device. He sends his message at a certain time every evening but lets it send multiple times. Leaves it on something level for at least an hour with clear sightline to sky. He also watches the light pattern on the device which means it has successfully hooked up to the satellite, at least two times. Then during the hour that he leaves the device sending, we eat supper. He realized very early on when he first started using the device that it will work but needs much more time than the instructions booklet says.

mattmckay
08-22-2015, 01:53 PM
From reading this thread, I'm glad I bought an inReach. If the unit isn't easy to use its basically worthless. It's nice to be able to say anything you want instead of a preset. Used mine last year to change flight plans with our pilot. It sure is nice to be able to get a response back for confirmations.

Jagermeister
08-22-2015, 03:39 PM
From reading this thread, I'm glad I bought an inReach. If the unit isn't easy to use its basically worthless. It's nice to be able to say anything you want instead of a preset. Used mine last year to change flight plans with our pilot. It sure is nice to be able to get a response back for confirmations.
The insecure need Inreach. Spot just makes those at home happy without having the leash of a phone about the neck!
This morning, as I was loading my boat, I turned my SPOT on and let it sit for about 20 minutes while I went about matters. After 20 minutes, I sent out the OK/√ message. Within 4 minutes, my cell phone pinged a email message. 2 minutes after that, the wife came out and told me that I was OK according to the message she received. So you guys that say SPOT doesn't work, look in the mirror, the problem is there.
And Hermit, since you are discarding your's, I will PM you my address and and I will pay the shipping to me, what say?

Boner
08-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Global Star is going down. Who else has to give away a sat phone to suck in customers to sign a contract?

srupp
08-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Hmm since you feel global star..is going down..what are you going to use? Those satelights are Global stars..that all the comunications use even Delorme..
Steven

Boner
08-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Hmm since you feel global star..is going down..what are you going to use? Those satelights are Global stars..that all the comunications use even Delorme..
Steven

It's a different network of satellites.

I use an iridium sat phone. It's not cheap. When I text someone, they text back for verification.

The Hermit
08-22-2015, 05:17 PM
The insecure need Inreach. Spot just makes those at home happy without having the leash of a phone about the neck!
This morning, as I was loading my boat, I turned my SPOT on and let it sit for about 20 minutes while I went about matters. After 20 minutes, I sent out the OK/√ message. Within 4 minutes, my cell phone pinged a email message. 2 minutes after that, the wife came out and told me that I was OK according to the message she received. So you guys that say SPOT doesn't work, look in the mirror, the problem is there.
And Hermit, since you are discarding your's, I will PM you my address and and I will pay the shipping to me, what say?

Sorry would have done that but to make a point and as a cathartic exercise I smashed it with a hammer - true story.

Rackmastr
08-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Steven

Unless I'm severely mistaken, Globalstar and Iridium are different networks, and SPOT-Globalstar is a different network of satellites than Irridium (which contract to Delorme for the Inreach).

You're the SPOT rep, but I seem to think your info is out. Can you provide your info showing that they both use Globalstar network as this is the first I've heard of it.

https://www.wildsnow.com/10280/satphone-review-iridium-9555-9575-extreme-globalstar/

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/faq.php
- See "What is Iridium"
http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/spot/spot_globalstar.html

http://www.satmagazine.com/story.php?number=242951891

blacklab
08-22-2015, 06:13 PM
This may be getting off track, but my buddy and I found a SPOT lying on the Tunkwa Lake road. It was a little beat up, but he pushed the buttons and set it on a fence post. It was gone the next time I went by. We still wonder if the owner claimed it.

B.C.Boy(100%)
08-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Two way comm is nice, what if your broken down or have a tire that failed, a transmission hose rupture, or what have you, being able to send a text message created on location as to what you need, say like a part number or a tire size with a location could save a lot of time and trouble.

I don't think you can send a text message whipped up on location with a Spot Gen3, has to be predetermined by a connected computer or other device before you head out, but you are able to with the Spot Connect for the smart phones, still not two way capable unfortunately.

"insecure" :roll:

Walksalot
08-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Are there known dead zones with this device?

HarryToolips
08-23-2015, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=B.C.Boy(100%);1673119]Two way comm is nice, what if your broken down or have a tire that failed, a transmission hose rupture, or what have you, being able to send a text message created on location as to what you need, say like a part number or a tire size with a location could save a lot of time and trouble.

I don't think you can send a text message whipped up on location with a Spot Gen3, has to be predetermined by a connected computer or other device before you head out, but you are able to with the Spot Connect for the smart phones, still not two way capable unfortunately.

You can't send a typed message with the Gen3, but you have the 'assistance needed, non emergency' button as an option..

B.C.Boy(100%)
08-24-2015, 07:35 AM
You can send a 'custom message' with a Gen3, up to 41 characters I believe, that is what I was referring to as a typed message, it can only be set up through an online account via Spot and changed anytime when your logged into that account.
Pardon me if that seemed unclear.

madtrapper85
08-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Tested mine (northern be) yesterday and worked. It did fail earlier this year but only failed the once. Every other time it worked great.

srupp
08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Spent yesterday..all day east of home..used 2 spot units..sent 6 messages..100 % were recieved..
Still dealing with questions..tech tomorrow. .
Steven

CoastalHunter48
08-24-2015, 12:51 PM
I have not read all 11 pages of this thread so forgive me if this is a repeat of any information.

But in continuing with the comparison of SPOT vs. Delorme InReach. I have been a user of both and prefer the InReach every day of the year. With regards to possible outages I have found that Delorme is also very proactive in notifying its users well in advance of any signal outages that may occur and how long they will last.

The only other flaw I get with my InReach sometimes is that I will send or receive a double message. But to me that isn't anything I worry about.

TO EACH THEIR OWN - when trying to decide which devise to trust on a two week alpine hunt. But mine is a Delorme!

Ozone
08-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Just got around to testing my Gen 2. Turned it on while walking out onto my patio, pressed the ok button and put it on the patio table. The table is 3 ft away from a wall to the NE and 8ft from the SE wall. There is also a few large fir trees blocking the sky. Less than 3 minutes later my phone buzzed with the message. Batteries were new in April 2014.

When I'm actually away from home and doing a check in, I leave it face up for at least 30 minutes face up in as clear as I can get sky's. Never had a message not go through.

srupp
08-27-2015, 12:57 PM
I have moved to corporate offices in both USA and Canada with the concerns..will comment when some issues are addressed or have update..

cheers
Steven

604redneck
08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Anyone want to buy my spot????

srupp
08-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Lol.....not yet grasshopper..
Steven

Roe
08-27-2015, 03:20 PM
I have been travelling in the UK for 3 months and use SPOT every night to message my family in Vancouver. Yeah; sometimes it can go in 30 seconds even when the OK light is flashing but perhaps a satellite is just overhead. The odd time when spot has not worked I believe that I have not given it long enough. I will monitor this exactly from now on.

hntcrazy
08-28-2015, 07:27 PM
I have 2 gen 1 spots ,2 gen 2 ,2 gen 3 for sale open to all and any offers.......Done..........

Sitkaspruce
08-28-2015, 08:48 PM
We did a test today with our Gen 2 and every time I hit the Ok button (I was up by the Buckinghorse River today), it showed up at the work computer (FSJ) with in 5 minutes. We tried it 6 times, all 6 worked flawlessly. I hit Ok and throw it up on the dash while driving and the accuracy was good as well.

It is our safety net for work and unless it fails, it will still be our safety net.

Cheers

SS

srupp
09-06-2015, 01:46 PM
hmmm meeting set for tomorrow..Sunday with execs.
I will update this site after the meeting.

cheers

Steven Rupp

Blockcaver
09-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Mine 4.5 year old Gen II works flawlessly. Just let it sit for 20 minutes or so with a clear view of the sky. New lithium batteries every other year or so. I like it just fine. Early on I shut it off too soon a few times and failed to send a message, but learned to leave it on longer.

Slinky Pickle
09-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Took my Spot Connect out the other night for a short trip (1.5 hours) and set it to "Track Mode". The locations shown on the "findmespot" map page are out by at least a kilometer from where I actually was. When I downloaded the KML file of my trip, Google Earth also showed me in the incorrect places. However, on my phone, the positions show correctly. The phone also shows 8 track points but only 4 of them made it to my website.

Steve, I am in the process of compiling the two sets of data points and I'll send them to you when I have them.

quarterman
09-06-2015, 03:44 PM
I got one this spring, was going to activate it this week. Hope IT works

Ozone
09-26-2015, 05:59 PM
Any updates Steven?

srupp
09-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks for reminding me, dealt with 5 issues...4 have answers 1 is waiting on the user but regardless. I will run some questions by that end user..and what the outcome is.
Readers digest version. .so far no problem could I find that would tell me the system is deficient or fatally flawed.
So far the published success rate of 99% has been achieved or exceeded.
Not one instance of help delayed or death because SPOT didnt do its job as advertised .900,000 units..largest voncentration in Canada..Bc.
One unit still needs some vomputer time.
So far it checks out.
Going calling moose, what I found out after moose hunt.damn hip knees make getting ready sooooo slow..
Cheers
Srupp

primmed99
09-26-2015, 08:03 PM
spot and global star are second rate compared to iridium…… got myself a iridium extreme and will never look back I use it at least 60 minutes a month and its bullet proof, I use to have a spot and a global star sat phone they were both so inconsistent they went in the junk drawer

Slinky Pickle
09-27-2015, 10:24 AM
1 is waiting on the user

That would be me. :)

I have sent my info off to Spot this morning and we'll see what comes of it.

Thanks for talking with me about this Steve.

scotty30-06
09-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Had a couple issues with mine messages not going out... that was about a year ago....but since then it's worked fine

scotty30-06
09-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Kinda sketchy though if you depend on it to save your life

Bubba123
09-30-2015, 10:13 AM
My account with Spot expires on Oct. 9th 2015. I will not be renewing.

I bought the Delorme Inreach SE and took it out last weekend. Set up the web portal, updated properly...works like a hot damn.

I learned my lesson.

limit time
09-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Kinda sketchy though if you depend on it to save your life
Compared to what? Not having one at all??
My GEN 3 has had no issues and all the locations are pretty much "SPOT" on ;)

hntcrazy
09-30-2015, 10:18 AM
I have 3 aircraft now with delorme ...............works great will never ever revisit the"SPOT" EVER!
One helicopter flies a ton and we have not missed one report.......

chowskie
10-05-2015, 01:41 PM
just got back from our grizzly hunt, my spot msg saying animal down did not go through, and after the pack when we reached our destination after hiking in the dark for hours i sent my back at camp safe msg which also did not go through…and my lights were blinking green meaning I had reception.. my contacts were about to phone me in because they did not hear from me for the whole day/night…

stinger
10-05-2015, 04:44 PM
I just got back from Moose camp and my gen 1 worked flawlessly

Sitkaspruce
10-10-2015, 07:32 PM
I just got back from Moose camp and my gen 1 worked flawlessly

Ditto, no problems all week with sending messages from moos camp. Everyone went through and I timed them from pushing the button to when they showed up on the phone and not one took more than 7 min and that one was in the thick stuff.

Gen 1 that hangs vertically from my pack.

Cheers

SS

Boner
10-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Steven

hmmm meeting set for tomorrow..Sunday with execs.
I will update this site after the meeting.

cheers

Steven Rupp

So after the meeting, do you still think Delorme and Spot share satellites? Because they don't. :)

Jagermeister
10-10-2015, 07:50 PM
I just caught this news story in the tail end, but I am sure that SPOT was used to initiate the rescue of this hunter.
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-149486-21-.htm#149486