PDA

View Full Version : Hides for School Project

vegemite
08-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Hi folks,

I am a teacher in Vancouver area and am starting up a Grade 10 school project that takes hide from "flesh on" to leather with a view to creating a final product of either traditional moccasins or mitts. As well as field testing the final products during a multi-day expedition, the project will address elements of biology, history and just allow student to see just how incredibly tough and resilient skin is. Students will be involved in the fleshing, de-hairing, softening, smoking and eventually in using the leather.

I recently got my hands on a small fallow deer hide from Black Bird who has run a similar project and posted about it a few years back, but I am hoping that as the hunting season ramps up someone may be able to bring a hide or two back to the lower mainland for me to use. White tail, black tail, elk, moose: if you bag it I will be interested in the hide.

I know hauling a skin back to the truck is an added hassle, but if anyone is willing to bring one home that would be awesome - and would definitely warrant some beers! The only thing that I ask is that you give it a good salting (like a pound of table or road salt) on the fleshed side before rolling it up and sealing it in a bag otherwise it can become unusable. I live in the Lower Mainland and will happily drive up the valley or out to Whistler area to pick it up.

If this might work for you, please PM me or respond to this thread.

Cheers
Vegemite

JasonH
08-19-2015, 12:52 PM
If I manage to get something and keep the hide cool on my hunt coming up, I'll be sure to contact you.

Pangaea
08-19-2015, 06:52 PM
PM sent...

duckhunter1488
08-20-2015, 09:47 AM
That is awesome....I am metis and I LOVE seeing projects like this. Need to keep tradition such as making mitts and moccasins alive. You should speak to a local band and see if they would help you out....I am sure they would be keen to be a part of it!

vegemite
08-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks Jason, Pangea and Duckhunter.

Even if the hide gets warm it'll be totally fine if theres salt on it - so if it does work out that would be awesome.

Duckhunter, we will also be working with Delmar Williams from Squamish Nation who runs a company called the Wilderness Living Project. He is absolutely awesome, and some of his weekend sessions that he runs also look like a blast. So hopefully in year 1 of this project we can tie together a bunch of really interesting practical experiences to make the compulsory topics more meaningful and interesting.

If anyone else has a hunt planned and might be to keep the hide please let me know or PM me.

Cheers
Vegemite

brian
08-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Cool project, I like to see kids learning this kind of thing.

I don't know if you work with leather at all so I will give one recommendation. Work the designs on cheaper canvas/cloth before devoting the designs to leather. You will probably have to do a few design iterations and adjustments before you get a good fit. It would be a great way for the kids to learn the process as well. I have made a fair amount of moccasins and a few mitts and always start with scrap cloth before touching leather.

jessonml
08-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Kudos to you, Vegemite! It sounds like you are the type of teacher we need more of these days.

vegemite
08-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Great call Brian. We are all going to be learning the moccasin making with this project so some draft runs will definitely be a good call!

Have you got a favourite design for moccs? I was recommended to try this basic design (Link HERE) (http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/14813#.Vdd0dZNdXww). Although I'm not going to do the calf covers, just the foot. It seems manageable, but if you have a favourite basic design I'd be keen to hear about it.

Cheers

tactickle
08-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I have a free tanned cape for you. I just sent the PM.

604redneck
08-28-2015, 12:39 PM
I have a black bear skull in but im in kelowna

vegemite
09-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all the posts, PMs and seriously generous offers guys. A couple of folks look like they will be going out in the next few weeks and hopefully will be successful, however if anyone else thinks it might happen for them keep me in the loop. I'll keep the request active until I get 1 or 2 in my hands, then I'll fill you in with a few pics of the process.

There's a lot of people with awesome project related stuff in their freezers too.

Cheers and keep the PMs coming.
Vegemite