PDA

View Full Version : 8-4: Another Day, Another Newbie

metalface
08-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Hi All,

Longtime lurker here. I've learned a TON scrolling through endless threads on this forum, tried to chip in where I can but generally let the experienced guys do the talking. I've been scouting for just under a year or so, in the Okanagan and Squamish and had a couple unsuccessful outings this spring for bear. This fall will be the first fully dedicated season to getting out and chasing deer. Started hunting late, but have spent a decent amount of time outdoors paddling and hiking all over BC since I was young.

My buddy got a doe tag for 8-04 in late October so we're going to be focusing on that region at that time. We've scouted it a bit already in there last year, got a couple snowshoes, but didn't see too much else as we spent a lot of time in the truck exploring, and when we were out of the truck we were definitely way too noisy.

Is it worth looking for bucks in there up higher (1400-1600m) in late October or will the first bit of snow and cold make it more worthwhile to stay down lower? We've got a few areas scouted out, some down at the end of Pasayten, another lower down over towards Hedley on the other side of the MU.

Basically just lookin for opinions on that and a little guidance for anyone with experience in that MU...We're planning on booting as far off the roads as we can, as it sounds like there's a ton of pressure in there. Hopefully there'll be a deer or two left by the end of October though.

Have definitely searched through the forum for Princeton, Pasayten, 8-04, etc etc and am familiar with any thread that's mentioned them, whether re: moose, deer, rabbits or grouse and got a lot of good info from them as well.

Thanks for takin the time, any help/encouragement/abuse appreciated. I look forward to returning the favour down the line sometime.

604redneck
08-18-2015, 03:57 AM
You shouldnt have a problem filling a few tags there

fearnodeer
08-18-2015, 04:28 AM
Lots of deer in the area, had a doe draw there years ago and it took all of 45 minutes to fill.

metalface
08-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Lots of deer in the area, had a doe draw there years ago and it took all of 45 minutes to fill.

Haha I bet. We DID see quite a few does in there and across the highway in 8-5, but obviously couldn't shoot em. Hoping to find something with antlers on it too while we're in there too.

Glenny
08-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Welcome to here face du metal.

JAGRMEISTER
08-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Old bucks are like old men, young ones like teenagers.
The old ones hang out in the hi country with their male buddies, until forced out by snow and weather, not as motivated to pass along the DNA!

epicZERO74
08-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the forum! Best of luck this season!

avadad
08-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Find a game trail and sit and wait. Filling the doe tag should be easy. Bucks not as easy. Good luck!

.264winmag
08-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Never hunted that area but looked at a few properties years ago on outskirts,
well the wife looked at houses. We all know I was scouting for game, and I liked what I saw! Local worker at outdoors store was talking the area up too but tight with locations. You'll have fun. If you want to see lots of game put some fast miles on the boots but shots will have to be even faster! I did this for years before slowing down, see less game but much better shot opportunity and more meat in freezer in the end:) I too would be up higher for Mulies, snow doesn't seem to bother em at all.
Good luck

blackford
08-18-2015, 02:24 PM
you should have no issue... if driving doesn't get you anything try getting off the beaten path... I know a pare of old men that hunt that area and they wear slippers when they hunt because they claim all you have to do is drive and step out of the truck eventually..

metalface
08-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Lotta good advice from people in this thread and via PMs. Thanks everyone for the help and the welcome