PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hunters

Nick1G
08-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Hello, I am a newbie bow hunter and I was wondering do I have to sight in my bow with the same arrow tips I am going to use in the bush? Thanks all (:

tomahawk
08-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Its best to sacrifice a couple broadheads to be practice heads so you know how the arrow reacts compared to a target tip.

epicZERO74
08-17-2015, 06:06 PM
That would be a good idea, yes. Some broad heads may shoot the same as your target tips, but it is always good to be sure before you make the shot.

Caribou_lou
08-17-2015, 06:06 PM
I always use one broad head. Only for a couple shots. But they fly the same as my field points.

Liveforthehunt
08-17-2015, 06:10 PM
I use broadheads just 3 at a time don't want to bust arrows . It is good to get used to them and yes "some" broadheads do fly differently than field tips. I find the majority drop a little quicker maybe by an inch or so within 40 yards

SWD
08-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Sight in with broad heads!
Bring a broad head target with you and shoot it in camp.
Then when arrows fly deer die!

Try to make your shot when the deer has his head down or facing away.
If you have to make a shot with deer looking at you ,take his heart.
As the deer can react to your arrow,if he jumps you wiil probably still kill him.:lol:

aggiehunter
08-17-2015, 09:31 PM
always..always.....

375shooter
08-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Hello, I am a newbie bow hunter and I was wondering do I have to sight in my bow with the same arrow tips I am going to use in the bush? Thanks all (:

The short answer for a newbie is, yes.

The long answer is that a bow has to be properly tuned so the arrow leaves the bow in a true manner, every single time. This means the arrow tail cannot be high, low or to either side at the point of exit and has to follow the tip perfectly, and must be do so consistently. Shooting form comes heavily into play for this to happen on every single shot and can be a challenge for a newbie bow shooter. It's very important that your bow hand doesn't involuntarily apply torque to the bow during the release of the arrow. This will cause inconsistencies.

To see if your arrows are shooting true, you can strip the fletching from one or two of your arrows and shoot them through a sheet of paper mounted on a frame, at about 5 to 10 feet distance. This should reveal if your arrows are leaving the bow true or not. If the resulting holes are oval shaped, as opposed to perfectly round, the arrow rest and/or knock point needs to be adjusted. To learn which way to adjust, you can search on Google for "how to tune a bow," to find out how to make the proper adjustments.

When your shooting form is consistent and your bow is perfectly tuned, broadheads and field points should always go to the same point of impact. Regardless though, it's always best to confirm the sight-in with the actual broadheads you intent to use.

Ambush
08-18-2015, 08:01 AM
To see if your arrows are shooting true, you can strip the fletching from one or two of your arrows and shoot them through a sheet of paper mounted on a frame, at about 5 to 10 feet distance. This should reveal if your arrows are leaving the bow true or not. If the resulting holes are oval shaped, as opposed to perfectly round, the arrow rest and/or knock point needs to be adjusted. To learn which way to adjust, you can search on Google for "how to tune a bow," to find out how to make the proper adjustments.

I agree with much that 375 advises. But I would suggest that a new bow shooter not try to paper tune himself. Unless your form and release are flawless every time you will get paper tears that are inconsistent. Which would lead you to keep adjusting your rest until you are so confused and your bow so far out that you may quit altogether. Or worse yet just go hunting with a very poorly tuned bow.

IF your bow came reasonable good shooting, then I would tune with field points and a rather large fixed blade broad head. A large head will show inconsistencies better. Shoot careful groups of field points at thirty or more yards and mark the centre of the group. Then shoot a group of field points and mark that centre. Google the process and you will see how to bring the groups together. Shooting groups of field points and fletchless shafts in the same manner will also bring you very close.

A little money and time spent with a very competent bow tuner can reap big rewards, because you may need other adjustments, like cam lean, timing and yoke tuning.

An arrow that leaves the bow true, will hit its mark more consistently and is a major contributor to penetration on animals.

Oh, and yes, you must always sight in with your broad head of choice.