PDA

View Full Version : Clear Underwater Crayfish Trapping Video

caddisguy
08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Finally finished putting together the video from our crayfishing trip last weekend. Crayfishing season is heating up and should be very good for another couple of months. Maybe this will inspire some to get out there and get in on this over-looked fishery. Loads of fun for all ages and very tastey with a little garlic butter and maybe a hint of horseradish!!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3qA61AB2nU

RugDoctor
08-17-2015, 02:31 PM
That is so cool! I had no idea this wass even a possibility in BC....this looks like a seriously good time.

wideopenthrottle
08-17-2015, 02:34 PM
nice vid,,,very yummy looking

Stone Sheep Steve
08-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Definitely feeling inspired!! Thanks for taking the time to out that video together. Muey cool!!!

Whonnock Boy
08-17-2015, 02:45 PM
So... what do they taste like?

avadad
08-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Anyone know if there are crayfish on Vancouver island?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-17-2015, 02:53 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/invasion-of-the-hybrids/article663128/?service=mobile

The Dawg
08-17-2015, 02:58 PM
So... what do they taste like?

Like crayfish.

Duh.

:)

caddisguy
08-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Whonnock Boy: Surprisingly they taste just like ocean crustaceans... somewhere between lobster and prawn

avadad: There should be tons of crayfish on Vancouver Island, especially the southern half. This lake sounds good! :)

Spectacle Lake Provincial Park (http://vancouverisland.com/things-to-do-and-see/parks-and-trails/vancouver-island-bc-islands/spectacle-lake-provincial-park/) north of the Malahat is regularly stocked with rainbow trout, which means that you must get there early in the season for best results. As you look down through the lake’s incredibly clear water, you’ll see crayfish scuttling along the lake bottom. Spectacle Lake is located about 1 mile (2 km) west of Hwy 1 at Malahat Summit. The waters of the Saanich Inlet just east of Spectacle Lake are noted for their sport salmon fishing. You can launch a hand-carried boat from the beach at Bamberton Provincial Park (http://vancouverisland.com/things-to-do-and-see/parks-and-trails/vancouver-island-bc-islands/bamberton-provincial-park/) to explore Saanich Inlet.

Boner
08-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Nice, I didn't know they could be trapped. I only heard of the beer bottle cap and bacon lure to catch them on a line.

Frango
08-17-2015, 03:13 PM
The Cowichan river is full of them,so I assume is every other river on Vancouver island. When our kids were young they hand caught them all summer.We had many crayfish pig outs..Now those kids have taught their kids and the crayfish fun continues.

Tikka270
08-17-2015, 03:15 PM
I used to catch them in the Cowichan when I was a kid.

Sasqman
08-17-2015, 04:08 PM
So awesome!! Well done!

MB_Boy
08-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Cool video Caddis. Used to catch them all the time when I was younger back in MB.

A tip for when you're trying to get them with a dip net, have a length of fishing line with a weight, hook and piece of bacon that is a couple inches long on the end. They'll grab on to the bacon and it gives you time to get the net underneath them. Also with the weight right at the hook you can get into nooks and crannies....it's great for luring them out. Sometimes they'll latch right on and you can drag them out from under logs/rocks and then net them.

Rhyno
08-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Nanaimo River has lots

ActionJackson017
08-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Awesome! My kids were thrilled to watch that. Can't wait to take them to try one day.

Peter Pepper
08-17-2015, 07:40 PM
I never find that they have enough meat to make it worth while. I used to catch them when I was a kid. Maybe I should try them again.

caddisguy
08-17-2015, 07:50 PM
I never find that they have enough meat to make it worth while. I used to catch them when I was a kid. Maybe I should try them again.

They definitely don't fill the freezer, but 30-40 as a side between 2 people splitting a steak will bring on a food coma! We ate them two nights in a row... overwhelmed each time. We were lucky enough that these were decent size though. Often I find there's not enough meat in the pincers to make that part worth while, but in this case we ate every last pincer too!!

A couple of my hunting spots, there's a few places on the way that hold crayfish. For some of my weekend trips in September and October, I'll probably drop off traps and pick them out on the way out. It's definitely one of those things that one does either for fun, a treat or if it's somewhere convenient that's not out of the way at all.

For anyone in Langley looking for a nice spot for fun, Salmon River holds a lot of huge crayfish. Not sure if crayfishing is allowed with the closures... probably not (it is exempt to bait bans and C&R only though) ... and being a city farm run-off river, you wouldn't want to eat them... but great place to take the kids.

caddisguy
08-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Awesome! My kids were thrilled to watch that. Can't wait to take them to try one day.

That's excellent! That's what it's all about. I have so many childhood memories catching crayfish in the creek behind our house. It was in Langley... this creek ran between 88th and 96th ave... kind of along 204th. Spent many days before school and after school exploring all the different critters in there. The crayfish came few and far between... every once in a while you would see one out and about that you could stalk... other than that, it was all about lifting up rocks/logs. This of course was before I knew they would come out of hiding for a hotdog wiener :)

Junorr500
08-17-2015, 08:23 PM
I do some crayfishing in the interior but they are nowhere near that big. Yummie though. Gonna have to find some new lakes, maby they will have bigger ones.

FourOhs
08-18-2015, 08:05 AM
Man, I love getting outside fishing, sharing experiences like this with my boy, and I'm looking forward to hunting this Fall. But your photos and videos make me want to quit my job and take this up full time. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Now, who's going to pay for us to do this? I declare this is a basic human right! I think I need to file a complaint with the HRT that I can't just quit and take up this pastime full time!

wideopenthrottle
08-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Man, I love getting outside fishing, sharing experiences like this with my boy, and I'm looking forward to hunting this Fall. But your photos and videos make me want to quit my job and take this up full time. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Now, who's going to pay for us to do this? I declare this is a basic human right! I think I need to file a complaint with the HRT that I can't just quit and take up this pastime full time!
may be we hunters could get a grant from the guvvy so we can spend more time in the woods to work on our culture...perhaps even as little as 9 months per year would be enough

dragonslayer
08-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Cool Video, looks like lots of fun, a must try, thanks for sharing

Rock Doctor
08-18-2015, 11:25 AM
That is so cool, I would love to try it.
Dont believe there are any close to my location in NE BC though.

Nice vid

J_T
08-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Used to be lots of crayfish in the West Arm of Kootenay lake. Sure enjoyed those days. Then we decided we should clean up Kootenay Lake, and we destroyed an ecosystem. Lots of things missing in today Kootenay Lake that we used to find in plenty.

Thanks for sharing the experience. Great video.

avadad
08-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Looks like they are on the island…going to have to buy a trap! Thanks to all who replied.

caddisguy
08-18-2015, 06:45 PM

I hear ya! I've been burning both ends of the candle for years. 40 hours working and 15 commuting each week. Friday morning up at 5am, back home around 6:30, load up the jeep and on the road by 8, drive a few hours, set up camp, have a couple beers and catch a few winks before the sun comes up.

caddisguy and caddisgirl don't have any youngins. I also get 21 vacation days and she gets 2 weeks which translates to a week long trip and a few 3 day weekends for us and some solo 3-4 day hunts for me.

It's hard as it is, but this freedom (job/financial, vacation, physical) might not last forever. I've even seen a little writing on the wall and it says "uncertainty". One of the reasons I like making videos is that I know if I ever have tough times and can't get out I can watch videos and look at pics, edit up more raw footage. It's like a digital savings account for memories because mine gets a little foggy... probably the lack of sleep surrounding these trips.

Outdoor addicts like us should definitely get some sort of compensation. Until then I wish everyone freedom, good health and extra strength and awesome
hunting, fishing and crayfishing experiences :)

Ourea
08-18-2015, 07:15 PM
caddisguy, great post.

There are so many under utilized resources in the great outdoors if one takes the time and drills down a bit.
I am sure there are quite a few HBC members who's kids watched your great video and are now pushing to go crayfishing.
I truly appreciate you shining a light on an off the radar outdoor opportunity that families and friends can have fun with.
Again, great post.

knockturnal
08-21-2015, 08:33 PM
i have a few spots around the interior that i used to go to a lot when i was younger. Although id just flip over rocks and grab them. Where did you get your traps? I wouldnt mind picking up a few.

caddisguy
08-22-2015, 11:46 AM
I ordered them from here many years (probably 6 or 7) ago:

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/crayfish-trap-crab-or-fish-pot

They have held up pretty well over the years. Only issues I had were some of the zippers coming off if I pulled them too far. They weren't secured at the ends so we just sewed the ends for the zippers on the main opening. I had already lost the zipper for a couple of the bait bags though, but rather than put new ones on we just improvise bait bags as seen near the beginning of the video. Those are "party gift bags" that can be found in the dollar store. One could also rig a bait bag with material from a nylon stocking, cheese cloth, etc. It's good to use some sort of bait bag (rather than just putting bait right in the trap) and try to make sure the trap is set so the bait bag hangs down from the top of the trap so the crayfish can't get at the bait from the outside.

I'm guessing after 6 or 7 years they have improved the glitch with the zippers coming off but if not, its easy to fix yourself as soon as you get them.

MB_Boy
09-17-2015, 07:42 AM
Hey Caddis.....saw this article for some reason on my feed on Facebook, but made me think of this thread.

http://vancouverisawesome.com/2015/09/16/bc-crayfish/

caddisguy
09-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Very cool! I half wonder if the video we made might have inspired the article. We shared it here, a few fishing forums and Facebook groups. The timing is interesting and most of the people who PM'd me I recommended Jones lol

I'm excited to see those mudbugs getting publicity. Curious about the "high elevation lakes" part though. Jones is the highest I know of. Most places with crayfish are connected to the Fraser and at relatively low elevations.