PDA

View Full Version : -- Mule Deer Trails -- let's talk mule deer trails

Jelvis
08-16-2015, 10:56 PM
-- Please do feel free to join in on this terrific subject. I personally have hunted around Kamloops B.C. for mule deer for decades and I still fall into total WOW mode when discovering a well used, worn trail of the mule deer. Trails implanted in the ground and even on brittle shale by years of mule deer use, you have to be in awesome wonder. Muley trails are hunting trails - you can use yourself and spot from or watch n ambush at a certain vantage points that you have pre-scouted and planned to use in the hunting season.
-- A trail leads you some where it shows the direction of travel, take advantage of that fact
There are several types of trails muley's make by using that same route for centuries, up and down n across
Here's an example of types of trails the Rocky Mtn Mule Deer make for diverse reasons;
-- escape trail, migration trail, crossover trail, feed trail, watering trail, distance covering trail, trail to breeding grounds and fighting areas.
-- trails are the visible evidence that deer have walked here for many years.
-- while you look and find trails for later hunting season you could find cast off antlers oh yahhh man
-- trails that are very well used will be defined by a definite visible ten inch wide pathway
-- knowing how to connect the trails when they fade out is one key to successful hunting.
-- trails for mule deer can be used to connect the hunter to world class hunting adventure fulfilment
-- following a trail system over two or three mountains is possible while pre-scouting but needs time and effort and clearing and marking.
-- Some facts here from thee experienced and the successful knowledge of years of studying mules.
Let's talk mule deer trails to get the advantage and the know how .. if you want to see mules
Anyone that get's a lil excited when talking mule deer hunting can ask any question about mule deer trails and tracking, and I and other experienced mule deer hunters can help you learn the tips and tricks to better your chance at a nice four point mule deer buck.
-- I will inform you as we go, about how to help the deer and yourself by clearing some trail -- hello
Trail to the treasure -- bring the wide tape to measure - Holy Cow Man! It's Your MONSTER MULE!!
Jelly ( No More ) Mister Nice guy -- you want big buck you gotta work at finding some trail.

ditch donkey
08-17-2015, 12:02 AM
hey jel whats your take on hunting mulies from tree stands or groundblinds. do you utilize the still hunting method for mulies or do you cover ground spot an stalk style hunting. im thinking about utilizing a groundblind this fall but worried about spending too much time in the same location

Jelvis
08-17-2015, 12:50 AM
Hey ditch go with the tree stands -- the deer seldom look up but they stop and look at a ground blind like, Hah what the H is that thing. They don't look up much so go higher. Sometimes you can use a ground blind in a open area or a treed area, what ever you have the time for.
-- I still hunt mostly for the mules, walking slowly and quiet as possible.
-- I like the trails because they use them over and over
-- I cover about 400 feet up from truck and hunt for hours
-- If it's a tree stand on a well defined mule trail it could payoff.
-- same location is good if productive, then use this spot again, write down the weather and the time
-- look for a feeding trail to a field and intercept them on a tree stand or ground blind.
-- go up above the field and find a good observation point of the trail and proper wind direction
-- in the morning they come up and evening go down
-- find out if they use the same route going down and up
Ok a few tips for ditch -- good luck ditch on getting a whack at a muley this season
Jelly ( The Mule Skinner Blues ) Boy

RackStar
08-17-2015, 05:50 AM
thanks for the advice,
I hope to get my first mulie in Kamloops this year. I got my moose up north in oct last year, then decided I was going to spend the rest of season trying for a blacktail..
I don't know why I was so hell bent on that idea, I didn't see a deer the whole season, till the last day I was hiking in the dark to my spot and spooked the buck I was looking for, he went crashing away, and well.. here I am. I plan on doing zero hunting in region 2, as region 3 is not a far drive from me and has way better terrain and way better deer population.
thanks for the tip,i have always enjoyed reading your posts.

Wentrot
08-17-2015, 06:03 AM
thanks for the advice,
I hope to get my first mulie in Kamloops this year. I got my moose up north in oct last year, then decided I was going to spend the rest of season trying for a blacktail..
I don't know why I was so hell bent on that idea, I didn't see a deer the whole season, till the last day I was hiking in the dark to my spot and spooked the buck I was looking for, he went crashing away, and well.. here I am. I plan on doing zero hunting in region 2, as region 3 is not a far drive from me and has way better terrain and way better deer population.
thanks for the tip,i have always enjoyed reading your posts.

Don't give up on the blacktail, don't do it!

ditch donkey
08-17-2015, 10:29 AM
thx jelvis

Jelvis
08-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Blacktailed deer are thee hardest and most challenging deer to hunt if you want a dandy buck.
Blacktails make trails too don't forget.
Rackstar has some very good information in his post about the difference in the terrain and habitat of the closely related black tail and mule deer.
Mule deer in Kamloops are big and in top shape. The Rocky Mtn Proto-type which is the largest.
--> Kamloops area hunting is a pleasure to do. Semi-open forest bordering fertile grasslands.
--> Chilliwack Valley is Blacktailed country -- with vine maple, devils club and lots of rain, but still provides the hunter his or her challenge to see a nice blacktail buck and you can if your good
Try Depot Creek for Blacktail trails on the open side hills, excellent area for strong herd.
I will admit your right on Rackstar, take the drive up to Kammy area and pick a mountain side.
two hour drive from Hope. This will increase your hunting success with seeing this gorgeous country all around the Loops. Mule deer thrive around this City in all directions folks.
There are so many deer trails in the hills here you'd think the deer are every where. Beauty topography to hike and walk and stalk. Still hunting supreme, not sitting but walking slowly and peeking at everything as you gaze into the depth of natural cover.
---> Come up here for a weekender and walk the hill around just out of Kamloops City limits.
---> Enjoy the awesome beauty of the western scenery and play and have fun times, heck bring a friend along
Talk at yah later big skater
Jel (the Mule Deer Hunter) Trail Blazer

Jelvis
08-17-2015, 11:55 PM
Mule deer highways and the biways folks, mule deer trails ----
Tracking on trails for the big track or any size muley if you have a valid antlerless mule deer leh tag for this area of Kamloops Region 3 and one of it's surrounding management units.
Tracking will be on different types of terrain and forms of forest floor surface state, ie after a good rain or on dry soil or with mud or snow.
The beginning of the mule deer season in Kammy is late summer early fall and the conditions are noisy some hunts and not bad after a good downpour. Trails will be seen but the animals are feeding and roaming around in the warmer weather. Not being shot at much yet they will be lower down in elevation.
Jel -- more later.

Bugle M In
08-18-2015, 01:59 AM
So, How do you tell the difference of trails and which are Cattle trails, and which are deer?
( Other than the obvious, which print was last left in the trail and by which beast, cow or mule)
Have any Pics! for the Newbs to see??

RackStar
08-18-2015, 06:00 AM
the way I look at it, by the time I drive up and into the woods in region 2 il be 3/4 of the way to Kamloops up the coq making it very doable for day trips.
not giving up on blacktails, but priority for me this year will be a couple deer even a bear either region 3 8 4, then If lucky spend some time in nov dec for a blacktail, something I love about the rugged rain forest creeping around in the pouring rain just keeps me coming back, I love every part of bc it is all so different and so beautiful, so blessed to live in bc.... I will have to check out Chilliwack valley this year. thanks for your tips jel! ive been reading your posts for quite some time, good reading. good luck to you this year.
hows the early season 4 point up in kammy? any advice if a guy had 4 days starting sept 10? any areas that hold a chance at a little wt buck while looking for a mulie?

JAGRMEISTER
08-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer?

Dannybuoy
08-18-2015, 07:08 AM
Rocky Mountain Mule Deer?

Ya ,you know , the ones that live in the Rocky Mountains ! :)

JAGRMEISTER
08-18-2015, 07:51 AM
The Rockies now extend to Kamloops? They must have remade the maps since I went to school.....

brian
08-18-2015, 07:59 AM
So, How do you tell the difference of trails and which are Cattle trails, and which are deer?

Deer trails for the most part are dainty, they are smaller than a hiking trail. They will often seem to fade in and out in places. Cattle trails are big and well pounded more like a well used hiking trail. Of course this does not mean deer won't use cattle trails, they will if it suites them. They will also use hiking trails FSRs and any other easy means of getting around in the bush. My gauge is if it looks like a hiking trail then its not a trail made by deer, but I still look for sign around it. I'll qualify all this by saying I hunt thick coastal forests for smaller blacktails and spend most of my time hunting and scouting on their trails.

wideopenthrottle
08-18-2015, 08:17 AM
I have noticed that on lots of game trails there will be several locations where you are forced to brush up against/through a noisey tree or bush and right after that there will be an opening/clear section on the trail with cover ahead of that.. he will be able to hide and look back on the opening from there...it seems to me that they go up ahead stop in cover and listen/look to the tight spot on the trail. when I am stalking/following game trails, I often look for a way around/into these tight spots that I can creep into quietly and out of sight.. I will then spot/glass in the cover ahead before breaking through the tight spot...make sense?

rides bike to work
08-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Hight of land that's where these mulies like to hang out during the day with thier nose in the wind.mulies seem to move all over the place so if you put a trail cam lower down a deer might only walk past it once in a season. But if you put it at the top along a ridge you will catch him many times in film. You will also get a good idea of where they are traveling.this doesn't mean you have to be up the tallest mountain in the country just at the top of the hill in the area.

Dannybuoy
08-18-2015, 10:19 AM
The Rockies now extend to Kamloops? They must have remade the maps since I went to school.....

No no .... Mountains that are rocky = Rocky Mountains .:lol:

JAGRMEISTER
08-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Oh now I see, you believe in pink candy Mtns? Same color as the acid in your water?

RackStar
08-18-2015, 11:36 AM
I thought every 4 point in reg 3 was in the lilooet alpine? Or in Clearwater?

Jelvis
08-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Thank you posters, wow, you mule deer hunters know some good sheet about mule deer tracking and trails, thanks for the excellent muley and blacktail information.
Blactails and muley are closely related. End of Chilliwack Lake by Depot Creek you can see the border.
The blacktails here by Depot Creek up Chilliwack Lake are on the edge of muley country next to the Skagit.
I love the zeal of the Rackstar it's catchy and we dig that. Some real zeal to get up to mule country in Kammy Double Wammy. - :shock: -
---The information you experienced trackers on trails have given is worth every post you did and we thank you hunters. :lol:
We're in this tracking out and off and back again on trails we know are there, by discovery and that's exciting. We know where they travel by the trails, and we can go there too.
Jel -- Let's find some well used main veins and arteries of deer travel -- jus luv the way you write posters

Jelvis
08-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Mule deer all have four hooves and they poop, on average every three hours. Plop plaw pooty plop.
When you start seeing deer poop pellets in an area slow down and study the lay off the land. If the poop is grey it's old and was there months ago. Doesn't matter when your looking to establish a deer trail route. The poop is evidence that deer were in this exact spot. So look around on the forest floor and see why the deer was in that spot. Know your prey and know the bush. That's why we pre-scout a bit too get in the groove. When hunting you will come across a beauty crossing spot or where two trails become one, now you've hit a main spot to jot down in the membrane and put a marker there that you will recognize later on.
Four hooves make a lot of tracks. That's why trails that were made by mule deer using them each year and for at least six months out of it low and six months high, some stay put below year round.
Feeding trail may come down a ridge about twenty feet under the sky line on either side. Then drop down and disperse into a feeding area with plenty of feed and some cover too boot. Look over the ridge on either side without sky lining yerself too many times, crouch down go slow when checking each side of the ridge. Just slowly move and get down and peek over the ridge for mules.
Jel -- More later on the ridge trail runners and the rich plateau feeding spots --

Katanajay
08-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the great info and starting this thread. Looking at getting out for my first Blacktail hunt this year and trying to figure out where to go within a couple hours of Abbotsford. Was thinking out near Mt. Corriveau if its possible to get there and climb up the west ridge and look for trails.

ditch donkey
08-18-2015, 10:54 PM
k another question, I have a cam set up on a well used trail that is set up in a ravine between two ridges. the trail seems to be the obvious path of least resistence to navigate through the ravine and cross from one ridge to the other. I have had my camera posted allong this trail for almost 4 years now and I have steady doe traffic allong with small spike/ 2/3 point bucks as well as some moose, bear, yote, and cougar traffic all using this trail. after 3 years of consistent camera use I still have yet to catch a mature buck. my question is wether mature bucks use the same common trail as the rest of the wildlife or will they take they're own trails. Or is my area looking more or less like a nursury area. My area is in an area that gets well hunted and I have made the assumption that anything that lives long enough to mature heads for the higher country or gets taken long before reaching maturity. Im assuming there is a mature deer somwhere in the area doing the majority of breeding but i have yet to catch him on camera.

hunter1947
08-19-2015, 04:22 AM
Mule deer trails or not just mule deer trails or runways all game animals walk on them it's finding out if at the time if mule deer are walking these trails or not ,,mule deer tracks on the trail will tell you if mule deer are using them ,,know your tracks of the deer family and the tracks on the trail will tell you..

Wentrot
08-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all the great info and starting this thread. Looking at getting out for my first Blacktail hunt this year and trying to figure out where to go within a couple hours of Abbotsford. Was thinking out near Mt. Corriveau if its possible to get there and climb up the west ridge and look for trails.

Pick a mountain and start hiking up-You will be pleasantly surprised.

brian
08-19-2015, 08:03 AM
my question is wether mature bucks use the same common trail as the rest of the wildlife or will they take they're own trails.

Often they are on their own trails. These will be much smaller and fainter than the larger more well used ones. The big bucks are more secretive that's why they are big.

Ferenc
08-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Yep ^^^^ what he said ... Check the secondary trails

Jelvis
08-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Find trails relevant to (your chosen hunting place). As close to where you live as possible, and as easy on the wallet. Say you live in beauty Vangcoover,you have choices to go either Pemberton way or up the Fraser Canyon on the number 1, or coke to Kammy area, Region 3 folks. Or on the Island same thing. Your closest shortest distance to get into world class mule deer hunting at it's supreme best, Kamloops is top shelf on the mule deer hunting expedition for venison and a chance at a 175 class typical or a 220 non-typically muley buck, some bucks are spikes and two points and small fours, some huge three's some 30 inch wide being seen 45 min drive from the Kammy Town ( Mule Deer) City.
Come up look around on a weekend and drive up behind any hill roads and circle back Jack. You'll see deer tracks from your vehicle on the slanted dirt banks of the road your on. Then do some actual hiking or hunting off the side of a road if you luck on to a nice main vein or a well used muley trail connecting up across the road with others branching out. A maze of traffic by the deer, you have struck muley gold traffic area, mark this spot in your mind's eyes and with a marker on a nearby conifer tree. Write down in a small booklet the place where you parked and the direction you chose.
Put a marker in the bush where you parked your vehicle by the road, but not in plain sight.
Mark down the weather conditions at the time and the date. Mark this in your muley trail book as an extreme traffic area over many years. Now find out the upper and lower connections to the garden of Muley's in a Gadda la vida -- Bayyyy Bee --
- Back Yard Mules -- in the wilds of Kamloops High Country -- thanks for the elite posts by pro's
Remember hunting mules in Kamloops country takes a ten minute race from town and your in wilderness already so don't think your going to come to Kamloops then drive for hours to get out to hunt, this is a matter of minutes from downtown, deer pepperoni town itself dah Loops!
-- Mules are also in Ashcroft come up from Hope on Number 1 hwy turn into Ashcroft, Tunkwa either hwy, Murray Lake up the coke to Exit 240 --
May the muley angel bless your hunting trip to " Muley Town " Kammy double Whammy" --------
Jelly bones, Mule Deer Country Capers for the Moss Back Jack or the antlerless or both if yah got lucky --- Only the Lucky git Lucky -- Loverboy --- BC Band

Jelvis
10-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Let's keep this thread open for your input on mules and their trails. One's you have experienced and what you learned as a hunter to help your success in filling a tag.
The smallest details are nice to hear about, the rub trails are exciting.

caddisguy
10-06-2015, 03:40 PM
We've been getting chewed up and spit out in 3-26. Been staying around Falkland since Saturday. Went straight to where we were finding lots of bucks last year. A few tracks here and there, but only like 1/20th of the tracks and poop that were around the plateaus this time last year. Saw one moose and a whole lot of cattle. Tried the timber lower down, hiking along the ridges that come few and far between in the highlands. Lots of deer trails and lots of poop (literally every few steps) but only a few does--usually with twins--to be seen. Tried road hunting our way through the FSR's pretty much all the way between Falkland and Chase, Salmon Arm pretty much without touching pavement.

Falkland has a nice pub to help you forget about muleys. Great food there too!! caddisguy surrenders... probably heading home tomorrow.

Xenomorph
10-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Timing is also super important. Do your scout and mark your area that you want to hunt then choose the Dawn and Dusk time. I kid you not, I got mine 30min before sunset as I was about to give up, came up upon some does, they split, but in the group there was a 2x2 ... which politely took my invitation to the freezer.

Scout, learn about their movement and patience. My buddy looked for some the entire day, as he turned back, almost ready to give up he thought he saw something bedded in the grass. Yup, a patch of white, slight move - he shouldered and bewm, took a shot. Buck didn't even flinch, clear miss. Second shot got him clear in neck, dead on spot in the bedding place.

Thing is, if you don't stumble upon them sometimes they're so secretive they'll bed down and watch you. When you're almost stepping on them they scare the bejeezez out of you and before you shoulder the rifle they're gone. Keep calm, scout, keep quiet and keep your eyes peeled. They're out there, a ton of them, but they're not stupid.

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 04:16 PM
X eno awesome post, I can hear the wisdom and truth from hands on experience coming on about mules and trails and what to do and not to do. Very well written.
Thanks for that amazing piece of helpful muley hunting tips, with tracking trails and such
Jel ( In Muley Country ) All A Round the deer city

caddisguy
10-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Scouting is definitely important. I figured I would just be able to walk into the same spots that were crawling with deer (a few stupid ones too) this time last year and have my pick. I thought worst case scenario I would need to scout around a little if the hot spots changed, but I didn't think it would be a big deal. It was though, just couldn't find those pockets. I'm sure they're around, just not in the places I expected and I failed find them... probably 50km on the boots and a couple hundred on the jeep. Had a blast just need sleep and take a bath lol. Thanks for havin me Region 3. And special thanks to the Falkland... a lot of good folks that's for sure.

Sofa King
10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
how's about some pics of your deer to go along with your advice.
we love pics.

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 08:51 PM
How about putting your real face on that avatar couch queen, tell me what your handle was prior to sofa prince? Your from Kammy right?

caddisguy
10-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Jelvis vs Dualie, round 1!

frenchbar
10-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Couch queen ..hahaha...

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Is that Tom Dew Lee? Get out! From Kammy right.

Sofa King
10-06-2015, 09:26 PM
How about putting your real face on that avatar couch queen, tell me what your handle was prior to sofa prince? Your from Kammy right?

nice skirting the question.
you got defensive awfully quick.
and you slipped up on your rhymes, oops.
you aren't fooling anyone.

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Please PM me Sofa and we can talk, please don't ruin the threads with banter and foolishness ok thanks bye for now
Jel --

Sofa King
10-06-2015, 09:33 PM
hey, all I asked is to share some of your game pics with us.
you are giving us mule deer hunting tips, why not share some of your success?

funny you now suggest I started this.
go back and read your post, #35.
you jumped to the name-calling which then got everyone sidetracked.

I just thought it would be nice to see some mulie pics with the thread.

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 09:37 PM
I said PM me or buzz off guy, your pulling my chains, now buzz off and follow someone else.
Your spoiling the thread with your childish manner now this is it.
Jel -- please

Looking_4_Jerky
10-06-2015, 10:39 PM
I don't have a bunch of trail cams out, but my observations and trail cam info passed on by friends suggests that pre-rut, you are unlikely to find large, mature bucks consistently using the same trails as does and young bucks. Occasionally, but not consistently. It seems situational too. Where extensive migration behaviours are exhibited, similar routes seem to get used by all deer, but not necessarily at the same times. Often, large bucks will come down either for the rut or when snow pushes them down, while does and young bucks will often migrate out of distinct summer range in the absence of snow.

Going to food sources such as agricultural fields, you're more likely to find the majority of deer approaching via the same entrances. On travel corridors in more "bush" settings, they seem to travel in different places at different times. During the rut, however, they will basically follow does, and this may be as good a time as you'll find to target major trails.

I think it's important to note that although some general principles might be broadly applicable, every situation has its own set of circumstances that create what you'll find on the ground in a certain location. There is no substitute for scouting and learning an area. We're lucky enough to have the internet and Google Earth to help us, and they are hugely valuable, but boots on the ground is what results in most trophies being taken.

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Looking for jerky whoa nah hice, awesome post mule deer hunter.
I hear some sound advice and experience shining through. The mule deer are the best to hunt in my opinion. Something about those big healthy deer. The four point so proud and big.
I see where your saying the bigger buck don't use the doe and fawn trails much and that is good to think about where the big boy is watching from?
Migration is important trails usually follow mineral licks along ravines and gulley drainages.
I dig that.
I agree with hunting an area you like and seen mules before, go there and scout and walk around in off season and on season and you will find the main vein muley trails.
Ridges where they come down and join another one, the buck walks back into the bush in the early morning so he will be walking just after daybreak for about twenty minutes in the light. he won't sky line on top of the ridge but will walk along the side of one below the sky lined ridge top, so this is a spot to check for a buck sneak and look spot on his trail.
The big antlered mule buck could be standing there in the shadows watching you, dead still, imagine a fully stuffed muley buck with a 36 inch spread looking at you broadside. So still for minutes on end without batting an eye. Now put bushes and rocks and windfall around it, you can see a buck has natural instincts to cover themselves in the habitat.
The trail that brought you just below him, as he is watching you now from above, was the one that for other deer use, the doe and yearlings. He hides in the trees within the shadows about maybe 60 feet into the depth of trees and bushes.

Drdoug
10-17-2015, 05:13 PM
I was lucky enough to get a muley doe LEH draw for 8-25 October 20-31. I hunted low around 8-25 and 8-23 last season and saw many WT and downed a nice WT doe but I don't know where to start for MD. Is there anywhere close to Lumby or should I be planning on heading up more towards Silverstar or Mabel Lake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Doug

Glenny
10-17-2015, 05:30 PM
I see nuthen but s loads of muley trails in woods on the edges of cuts. Pick a cut any cut.

Jelvis
03-14-2017, 07:01 PM
-- Learn to find muley trails folks.
Jel Vain knee Us

Jelvis
05-18-2017, 06:12 PM
let's here your way of defining muley trails hunting deer coming soon.
-- we all can learn from each other.
Jel -- this thread will help you track --

Jelvis
09-08-2017, 06:22 AM
Here's a thread about mule deer trails. Might as well read thru again and see all the posts by awesome mule deer hunters from all over Rover.
I'm reading it thru and getting ready for walkin the trails, and stalkin the mule.
Some dandy mule trails in Region 3, world class hunting at peak level.
Jel Train -- with Roddy dahhhh Bawdy -- mule deer are everywhere -- in and around Kammy Land.