PDA

View Full Version : Halfway River from Peace River

browningboy
08-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Every time I head up north I cross the bridge just past Husdon Hope and see the trucks and boat trailer parked at the mouth of the halfway and I have been very curious to run this river, so if I can get any info on running this in early October, how far can you go in from the mouth ( any falls or anything?), do people just camp at the launch area with an RV and go in or camp along the Peace? I know a lot of questions but this looks like a cool place to go, I have a 21.5 foot boat and reinforced, plastic etc..
I was thinking of bringing the camper and is it worth just running back to the camp/ truck every night or isn't there better camp spots for a camper? Any info would be awesome

browningboy
08-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Nobody runs this river?

bridger
08-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Tough sledding the halfway inoctober especially with a big boat. I have land on the halfway and a 23 ft jet boat. That late in year smaller the biat the better. Last year in October you could wade across it most places and not get your boots wet

browningboy
08-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Tough sledding the halfway inoctober especially with a big boat. I have land on the halfway and a 23 ft jet boat. That late in year smaller the biat the better. Last year in October you could wade across it most places and not get your boots wet

Thanks bud, appreciate was just wondering, looked like a windy river so fun but looking on google earth it looks like she braids a bitter too, I missed the Kechika hunt this year so looking if that would be a viable option or not. How far into until you hitting the Graham and also do you running it as well?

bridger
08-18-2015, 11:44 AM
The graham is a small tributary that dumps into the halfway just below the bridge on the mile 95 road. October in a big boat not practical. No where to really go anyway once you are there. Nice government campground at the mouth tho. Better off to look at the muskwa.

JAGRMEISTER
08-18-2015, 12:30 PM
That launch is used to boat the PEACE

bridger
08-18-2015, 07:58 PM
That launch is used to boat the PEACE

Actually it's about 50/50. Especially early season

Sitkaspruce
08-18-2015, 08:06 PM
There is guys running the HW right now, saw a boat heading up this morning and half a dozen campers at the launch.

Cheers

SS

bridger
08-18-2015, 08:13 PM
For sure lots of water in the halfway now due to some heavy rains up bear the head. Water level came up about two feet at our place couple of weeks ago. Was dropping this weekend, but still good

browningboy
08-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Bridger see you are on Charlie Lake, you have walleye fish fries? That's wicked stuff!
How far can you navigate the HW ? Any falls or anything?

bridger
08-19-2015, 08:36 AM
The a Halfway heads at Rob Lake and there is a canyon about 10 miles below the lake.

The Halfway isn't a wilderness river like the muskwa,tuchodi, Ketchikan, turnagin etc are. Lots of private land at various points along the way. Once you get passed the private land on the upper end it really shrinks and not runnable for the most part.

Majority of runnable water and hunting opportunities are from the mouth at the peace to the confluence of the graham at the mile 95 bridge

daycort
08-21-2015, 07:38 PM
if you are in the bottom part of that river within the first 7-10 days of elk season you might get lucky. if you don't car much about your boat you can make er up about halfway between the peace and graham. the graham river is a shit show, don't go. ive been on it a lot but not in September. rocks bigger then cars and ledges and fingerd out portions, not fun even when there is water.